How to approach potential spectators

Dec 22, 2017
South West England

So above is a link to a video by disturb reality which I believe hits a very important topic! Now the dude in the video is cringe and I do not recommend his style but I was curious what other people's techniques are for approaching people to perform magic.

Reactions: what8006
Jul 26, 2016
Generally, I approach to a distance where I am not so close that I am in their personal space, but close enough so that I'm sure they can see me and what I'm about to do. Holding a piece of flash paper (about 2-3 inches square), I light it with an attractive lighter and produce a silver dollar out of the flames. Sometimes, depending on their reaction, I will continue with some sleights, ending with a complete vanish. This announces I am a magician without having to say so or asking if they would like to see some magic (and without providing them the opportunity to say no). I have already done magic. The ice has been broken with a very magical effect(s) that is generally quite well received. Now I can introduce myself by name and ask if they would like to see a bit more. More often than not, they will say yes, or sometimes they will even request, it without me even having to ask. If they don't happen to want to see more, I wish them a great day.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I usually do something sort of unexpected.
Most of the time, I perform where I work which is a yogurt store. Lots of kids come through so I always have d-lites and spongeballs with me. So, we have these little succulent plants on the tables. A lot of the time, if people seem bored and I have nothing to do, I'll walk up and say "Hey I'm sorry about this but I need to get rid of these. They're not edible" as I start producing spongeballs from the plant as if I were plucking them from the plant. If they like that I'll go into an actual spongeball routine.

Or I'll look at our neon open sign as if I'm concerned and say that some of the light is leaking out before using some D-lites. Adults think it's funny and kids think I'm actually pulling light out of the sign.

Both are kinda cheesy but people seem to like them.

I do carry my cards with me but I rarely do card tricks at first. Although, one time this mother and son came in early in the day and started playing some card games. So I showed them some magic tricks and taught him a couple he could do himself. They ended up coming back and hired me for his birthday so that was neat.

If it's just a bunch of people hanging out and aren't occupied, I'll just walk up and ask if they want to see some magic.

That's just my approach. It might not be the most creative or the best but it works for me.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I've had some success using the methods Michael Obrien discusses in his link above. Specifically doing flourishy type stuff and finding interested people. In public sometimes I perform magic for some of my friends who are into it and if I notice other people watching I approach them later if they don't walk over. Other than that I usually am just a friendly guy and I try to be approachable. When chatting if someone asks what I do I mention magic as a hobby or ask them if they like magic during a conversation.

Just a note, I am new to performing and am taking this year to perform more often.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I walk up to a group of 2-5 people and say, "Hi there. You look like interesting folks. My name is Christopher Strange, I've been asked to entertain the guests today. What's your name?"

Notice he didn't say "I'm a Magician." Sometimes it is great to catch them off guard. Some may assume you are a comedian, or a musician, or maybe even just one of the guests. You could introduce yourself, ask to be invited into the group, then surprise them with magic!

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Notice he didn't say "I'm a Magician." Sometimes it is great to catch them off guard. Some may assume you are a comedian, or a musician, or maybe even just one of the guests. You could introduce yourself, ask to be invited into the group, then surprise them with magic!
Catching them off guard works well for me haha

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well, I never say I'm a magician because I'm not a magician :)

Watching that video in the original post - Man that is awkward.

First let's look at the "Savage" guy. This is everything you should NOT do. For one, he's hugely arrogant. Yes, to be a performer you need an ego - but keep it in check. Second, he's really desperate for validation and it shows. Going up to every person, most of whom were clearly busy, and trying to get them to watch a trick makes you look like a little kid tugging on everyone's pant leg so they'll watch you play with a plastic finger chopper for the nine thousandth time. Also note - Mr. Savage guy there did this "Challenge" because he claims he wants to be taught, but then ignores everything the Disturb Reality (What's his name? I don't watch these guys) guy has to say. Savage wasn't looking to learn, he was looking for the guy to tell him how awesome he is. Also, also note - Dude face says "I rarely get nos, because I turn nos into yesses" - except he's getting shot down left and right. He's not willing to accept that he has flaws and weaknesses that need to be fixed to make a performance worth watching. He thinks he's the next coming of Jesus, and he's not willing to accept any possibility that he's not, as that would mean having to accept his own flaws. This is a school of thought I see pushed by certain other "Internet Magicians" lately. Ego over art.

There's an incredibly important lesson there, though - learn to recognize when you're not doing something well. This is why I think it's extremely important to have a person you trust to tell you when you suck. It hurts to hear, but sometimes one sentence from a trusted voice will change your entire performance for the better.

Which is why I so frequently say that performers need to learn social skills as well as tricks.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Going up to every person, most of whom were clearly busy, and trying to get them to watch a trick makes you look like a little kid tugging on everyone's pant leg so they'll watch you play with a plastic finger chopper for the nine thousandth time.

Also, also note - Dude face says "I rarely get nos, because I turn nos into yesses" - except he's getting shot down left and right. He's not willing to accept that he has flaws and weaknesses that need to be fixed to make a performance worth watching.

Which is why I so frequently say that performers need to learn social skills as well as tricks.

I think you summed it up pretty well with your last sentence.

One of the worst examples in my opinion is when he was told "no" by two women standing on the sidewalk and he asked them to "give him three reasons why". I was really put off by this and I imagine the women he asked were put off even more so. They don't owe him one reason not to see any of his magic let alone three reasons.

He didn't really seem concerned with what other people wanted at all and came off as pushy to say the least. I got the feeling most people were saying no to him and not to magic in general.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You mean how should a mentalist approach people as a mentalist?

It's the same. Start a conversation, segue into the subject of your presentation.

Having a good way to introduce yourself is always good. "I'm the Witch Doctor" or "I'm a hypnotist" are two I've frequently used to prompt people to engage with me so I can demonstrate things for them.

The great thing about starting with a conversation is that it allows you to feel out the group, first. Are they receptive? Are they closed off? Chatting a moment or two before launching into a demonstration or trick means you won't be forcing them to do something they don't want to do - then everyone likes you, even if you haven't performed for them.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
The great thing about starting with a conversation is that it allows you to feel out the group, first. Are they receptive? Are they closed off? Chatting a moment or two before launching into a demonstration or trick means you won't be forcing them to do something they don't want to do - then everyone likes you, even if you haven't performed for them.

This is great, making connections benefits you no matter what. In addition to what Christopher said it also gets the people on your side before you perform, they know you as a bit as person first then someone who might entertain them. Having a conversation also gives you more to go off of in case you do perform something with the participants

Garrett Thomas suggests organizing your effects by topic or the patter you use instead of type of effect. You can then fit your performances to match your conversations with the participants and make it more personal or relatable for them. This also means that some of your effects can be used in several different instances just performed differently.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results