Magicians' Vocabulary

As posted by Kildredmagician on invisionfree

This will help you understand some of the cryptic goings on at message boards like the Magic Cafe,T11,Dnd etc etc.

Beginners, Learn these!

Ambitious Card Routine (ACR):
Card effect where a chosen card keeps on returning to the top of the pack.

Angles:
People sitting at certain position in the audience can spot the secret. Usually extreme left or right or behind. If a trick is 'angled' it can only be done with limited audience viewpoints. Example: The Balducci Levitation which can only be viewed a 45 degrees view between side and behind angles.

Biddle Move:
A move used to bring selected card to the bottom of the deck.

Black Art:
You can't see black on black which is usfeul or secret compartments and secret hiding places on stage.

Bobo's:
Bobo's modern coin magic. 20th century book said to be one of the most comprehensive on coin magic.

Bottom Charge:
Move used to change cards.

Break:
A slight opening secretly held in a deck of cards.

Breather Crimp:
The breather crimp is a special type of "pyramid" crimp put into a card. It is good because it's not really detectable like the standard crimp is, but it's harder to put into the card and requires a little privacy. The breather crimp is an undetectable crimp that can be put on a card at a moments notice, and is an extremely powerful weapon in the card conjurors arsenal.

Book Pass Force:
The book-pass force is where you do an overhand shuffle (take a group of cards then throw them on the other pile, you do this repeatedly) except you hold the top card and keep it on top. This will leave the selected card on top.

Bridge-Sized Deck:
A deck of cards slightly smaller than a poker deck, measuring 2-1/4’ wide. Bridge-size cards are frequently used and give the magician an advantage in certain tricks becauseof their smaller width.

Card Discovery:
The climax or end of many card tricks during which the spectator’s card is revealed or produced in a “magical” manner.

Card Location:
Any method that allows the magician to find or locate a selected card after it has been returned to the pack.

Center Tear:
A special way of tearing up paper so that the centre piece with the message is retained by the magician.

Change:
Changing one card for another.

Charlier:
One handed flourish cut or pass.

Classic Force:
Making a spectator choose a card by fanning them and timing the force card to land under their fingers.

Chop:
Code word for a magnet.

Chop Cup:
Cup with secret magnet used with a magnetic ball which can be made to vanish or appear at will using the magnet.

Classic Palm:
Holding an object in the center of the palm, gripped by the palm muscles lightly e.x. a coin.

Cold (deck):
Switching in a stacked deck.

Conjurer:
A magician

Control:
Any method that allows the performer to move a particular card or cards to a specific location in the pack.

Crimp:
A bend or crease in a playing card in such a way that you are able to locate it in the deck by feel alone. The crimp can be put anywhere on the card, but the corners or long sides are generally used. You can crimp the card simply by bending the corner slightly upwards when showng it. You can also crimp the side of a card by squeezing it gently at the side between the thumb and forefinger. Basically, any (subtle) identifying bend or crease in a playing card qualifies as a crimp.

Cut Deck:
Magician pulls a deck of cards out of a box showing that the deck is cut in half! (from upper right corner to lower left corner). Magician claims that he/she performed at a restaurant a while ago, and when he was showing a trick to the cook that required him to cut the deck, he took it literally and chopped the deck in half. Now, the spectator fans the left half and asks the spectator to point to a card. That card is removed and given to the spectator. The spectator then fans the right half and asks another spectator to point to a card. That card is removed and given to the other spectator. The spectators are then asked to place their cards face down on the table. The magician takes their cards and puts them together, showing an exact match on the back of the cards. They are flipped over and revealed to be the 2 matching sections of one card!

CC / MC:
Conjorer's / magician's choice where an object is forced on a spectator by deciding if he takes or discards the objects selected.

Daub:
Conjorer's wax. Used to stick things together temporarily.

Deal:
To take cards off the top of the deck. Deal seconds (take the second card looking like the top) Deal Middles, (take a middle card looking like the top) , Deal Bottoms (take the bottom card looking like the top)

DL:
Double lift. Lifting two cards as one.

Do As I Do:
When you have the spectator do the same things as you do.

Double Cut Force:
The double cut force is a way of forcing the top card of the deck.

Double Lift:
This is were the two top cards are drawn up to be shown as one card alone. A fingerbreak between the two top cards before the sleight is executed, is very nice. Otherwise it requires really light fingers.

Double Sided Cards:
Simply a double sided card which you can buy or make for many good effects.

Double Undercut:
Card Control used to return a card back to the top of the deck.

Effect:
A sleight or magic trick

Erdnase/Expert At The Card Table:
reference to the book.

Face:
The face of a card shows its value and suit.

Face Cards, Picture cards, or Court Cards:
All of the jacks, queens, and kings.

False Cut:
Any cut that leaves the deck in the same order as it was before the cut.

False Shuffle:
Any shuffle that leaves the deck in the same order as it was before the shuffle.

False Transfer:
An object is put or taken into one hand while being retained in the other.

Faro Shuffle:
The faro, also known as the weave shuffle is a technique that perfectly interlaces the cards. It is not a false shuffle, but properly speaking a controlled shuffle. The shuffle can be made in the hands, or on the table which gives it the appearance of a tabled riffle shuffle.

Finger Break:
Move used to return to cards easily.

Flash:
Allowing the spectator to briefly see the face of any card.

Flourish:
A display of skill with cards. Usually not a trick but an important part of a trick like one handed cut, fan, and ribbon spread.

Force:
Causing a spectator to select a particular card or cards when the spectator thinks the choice was freely made.

French Drop:
A false transfer with a coin or small object.

Free Choice:
When a spectator really has a free choice, no force.

Gimmick / Gaff:
A secret device used in an execution of a magic trick.

Glide:
The glide is simply pulling back a bottom card so that the second to the bottom card is revealed alittle(this is done face-down though, so no-one can see the faces) It is only revealed for touch. The second to bottom card is the slipped out as if it was the bottom card. (Usually it looks 'the bottom card is shown. then the deck is facedown (no attention drawn to this), then the bottom card is slipped out.(Of course, really the 2nd the bottom is slipped out).

Glimpse:
Secretly noting a card while holding or shuffling the pack.

Greek Shift:
Move used to shift a card, or make a false cut.

Greek Shuffle:
False Shuffle. Watch your angles.

Haunted Deck:
Spectator freely selects a card, and that card is placed back onto the deck. The deck is cut and the spectator is told that the deck will remove the card by itself and then watches, as the deck removes the card! The deck can then be given to the spectator to reveal no gimmick is involved.

Hindu Shuffle:
An effective way to keep a card or several at the bottom of the deck.

Indicator Card:
A playing card used to identify the location, value, or suit of a diffferent card, usually selected by the audience.

Invisible Deck:
This deck is a trick deck wherein the backs of the cards used have a thick, non-slick surface. The cards are placed back to back in certain pairs.

IT/ITR:
Invisible thread, Invisible thread reel. Thin nylon thread that you can't see is used to levitate stuff.

Impromptu:
A trick that can be performed at a moments notice, usually with everyday objects and little or no preparation.

Pass:
A move which brings a selcted card to top/bottom or anywhere in the deck needed.

anybody else wants to add anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: what8006

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
I don't actually like this. Magicians can actively seek this stuff through study and learning, and you are now giving it up to anyone who walks into these forums.

It's handy, but...

Ty

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I don't actually like this. Magicians can actively seek this stuff through study and learning, and you are now giving it up to anyone who walks into these forums.

It's handy, but...

Ty

I don't think it does any harm, as it isn't revealing any tricks or effects, rather it's giving an index of terms.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
Invisible Deck:
This deck is a trick deck wherein the backs of the cards used have a thick, non-slick surface. The cards are placed back to back in certain pairs.

IT/ITR:
Invisible thread, Invisible thread reel. Thin nylon thread that you can't see is used to levitate stuff.

DL:
Double lift. Lifting two cards as one.

These are all blatant exposure!

Not only that, there is bad advice in here:

Double Lift:
This is were the two top cards are drawn up to be shown as one card alone. A fingerbreak between the two top cards before the sleight is executed, is very nice. Otherwise it requires really light fingers.

Bah! Mods!?

Ty

Reactions: Ron313
Sep 1, 2007
Every other forums are trying to protect these , and you expose it here huh?

What a great idea, but it doesn't show how smart are you

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Magician's Forum - A gathering of amateurs and some pros in the field of prestidigitation in an online fashion. 3/4's full of asshattery.

"Arguing on the internet is like racing in the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded."

I would actually define pass/shift as a move that allows you to transpose two halves of the deck with a break held between.

I would also add "Erdnase" or "Expert" as a reference to the book. Expert At The Card Table, as they call it nowadays.
I've heard people call it both.

Allan.

Ray

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
I really don't this there is anything wrong with giving out terms because the ture talent is shown with practis an

Yeah basicly its just like grammar isn't it?

Anyways.. I reported this thread twice to the mods and seeing that it still exists I guess the mods WANT this to be on their boards.
Ah well if thats the case I'll add the terms "moving Pips", "dissapearing deck", "three coin vanish and reproduction", "4 card utility switch" and so on to the expo.. err sorry... "Magicians Vocabulary".

And now without my beloved sarcasm:
I request the exposing postings to be edited.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 26, 2013
Hi, I’m looking for a website that lists Magician’s terms and definitions. There are sites out there that do give definitions, but they’re for basic words. I’m looking for terms like worker and organic, etc.

Thank you sincerely,
Stephen L. Craig

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results