Looking trick up on youtube

Aug 6, 2017
i did the invisible deck today and it went great but later one of the spectators told me they’ve looked it up. I say invislr deck in the trick. I basically want to know how to avoid this. Other than not doing the trick but I like to do it.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
My invisible deck is sealed shut with tape and the words "your card" written on it.
Sometimes I just set it out and wait for someone to ask about it but usually it's just an out for me.

I would also suggest not saying the name of a trick you are doing / have done unless you rename it. Pretty sure you figured that out now though.

Reactions: Clee26
Aug 6, 2017
My invisible deck is sealed shut with tape and the words "your card" written on it.
Sometimes I just set it out and wait for someone to ask about it but usually it's just an out for me.

I would also suggest not saying the name of a trick you are doing / have done unless you rename it. Pretty sure you figured that out now though.
Yea. I think I am going to just call it something else so that way if people look it up they will look up "black hole deck" or something like that and then nothing will pop up.

Apr 16, 2018
Why would you name your trick anyway? The Chicago Opener is a very famous trick, but no one says it's called Red Hot Mama before commencing the trick! Have you ever seen any modern magician (with some sense of creativity) using the original "Ambitious Card" presentation in their Ambitious Card routine? Same for the Oil & Water routine.
That's just as bad as saying, look, I'm going to do a double lift/classic pass, and your card will be on top.
We name tricks and moves so that we can talk about them with other magicians, not so that we can show off our knowledge of magical technical terms to laymen.
Instead, name your trick by its presentation, not by it title. And don't stick to the original plot. Change it, personalise it as much as possible. I'm not telling you to change the plot for the sake of change, because that's stupid, but personalise it. I mean, it would be weird for a kid doing the slop shuffle triumph routine to say that a guy he was performing to in a bar was so drunk he shuffled the deck face up into face down. Similarly, cigarette magic would be rather frowned upon today.
Do a trick that you can call your own. Sure, we aren't all Ed Marlo or Dai Vernon. But most magicians here do classic tricks, but they do them in their own way; in a way that suits their personality—that's what makes them unique; their own.
Sorry for the rant, but what I said is really important in order for a magician to achieve success. Magicians are entertainers, they can't be dull. They can't look like they are reading off a script.

If your audience (whom I assume are your friends) asks you for the name of the trick, ask them why a trick should have a name. 'Tricks' is a technical term. What we show are performances, why should performances have a name?

Aug 6, 2017
Why would you name your trick anyway? The Chicago Opener is a very famous trick, but no one says it's called Red Hot Mama before commencing the trick! Have you ever seen any modern magician (with some sense of creativity) using the original "Ambitious Card" presentation in their Ambitious Card routine? Same for the Oil & Water routine.
That's just as bad as saying, look, I'm going to do a double lift/classic pass, and your card will be on top.
We name tricks and moves so that we can talk about them with other magicians, not so that we can show off our knowledge of magical technical terms to laymen.
Instead, name your trick by its presentation, not by it title. And don't stick to the original plot. Change it, personalise it as much as possible. I'm not telling you to change the plot for the sake of change, because that's stupid, but personalise it. I mean, it would be weird for a kid doing the slop shuffle triumph routine to say that a guy he was performing to in a bar was so drunk he shuffled the deck face up into face down. Similarly, cigarette magic would be rather frowned upon today.
Do a trick that you can call your own. Sure, we aren't all Ed Marlo or Dai Vernon. But most magicians here do classic tricks, but they do them in their own way; in a way that suits their personality—that's what makes them unique; their own.
Sorry for the rant, but what I said is really important in order for a magician to achieve success. Magicians are entertainers, they can't be dull. They can't look like they are reading off a script.

If your audience (whom I assume are your friends) asks you for the name of the trick, ask them why a trick should have a name. 'Tricks' is a technical term. What we show are performances, why should performances have a name?

Thanks for the thoughts. I don’t really name the trick in my performance but I have a story that I go through and I say I have an invisible deck of cards. I think if I just call it something else then it will be fine.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
When scripting, always make effort to make your words Google Proof.

This means: Don't use terms that reference common uses of a particular prop or sleight. If you mention having an "invisible deck" that's going to stand out in someone's mind. If they Google "invisible deck card trick" they'll find the method more or less instantly.

This is part of the problem of doing tricks that everyone and their mother does as well. Anything that's super popular will end up exposed because there's always going to be people who can't perform well enough to get the attention they want, so they resort to giving away secrets.

One way to really help Google Proof your routines is to include references to subjects that have ample results on Google which are totally unrelated to magic tricks. This means if someone Googles it, they'll get all the stuff that doesn't help them find a method.

Also, make your routines interesting enough that finding the method is the last thing anyone will think about. If someone's looking up a method, they're trying to solve a puzzle and it generally means the performer has failed to engage them in the performance.

Aug 6, 2017
When scripting, always make effort to make your words Google Proof.

This means: Don't use terms that reference common uses of a particular prop or sleight. If you mention having an "invisible deck" that's going to stand out in someone's mind. If they Google "invisible deck card trick" they'll find the method more or less instantly.

This is part of the problem of doing tricks that everyone and their mother does as well. Anything that's super popular will end up exposed because there's always going to be people who can't perform well enough to get the attention they want, so they resort to giving away secrets.

One way to really help Google Proof your routines is to include references to subjects that have ample results on Google which are totally unrelated to magic tricks. This means if someone Googles it, they'll get all the stuff that doesn't help them find a method.

Also, make your routines interesting enough that finding the method is the last thing anyone will think about. If someone's looking up a method, they're trying to solve a puzzle and it generally means the performer has failed to engage them in the performance.

Thanks for the tip. I will add words to my patter to throw them off if they try to look anything up.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I am pretty new to magic so my tricks are not my own. I do personalize them but feel they are not where I want them to be at yet.

I sometimes do the Dunbury Mystery and I reference The Matrix at the end saying something about a glitch in the matrix (movie with Keanu Reeves...not a coin matrix).

I've noticed people near my age get the reference but younger generation not so much. The framing is on how we process reality but the reference still escapes them... Maybe not contemporary enough or it is just superflous.

I've never had anyone google it around me but I imagine if they did google matrix and magic it would send them down a wrong path. Kinda thinking I should avoid that even, maybe drop the reference and/or change the framing entirely.

During my ACR I never say the word "ambitious" although I think my framing is somewhat common. It's about how names and saying them correctly are important.

While it's common it is relevant to me and who is usually with me since my family has names that most struggle to say let alone spell.

I'll have to think up another framing to script... Or just not do an ACR. Which wouldn't be too bad really.

I do Card Warp when discussing the psychology of the "boundary effect". Pretty sure the scripting is google proof but the trick is pretty old and we'll know.

Sorry if it feels like I'm focusing too much on my personal stuff but just getting ideas down of where I need to work on improvements and thought someone else may find it useful.

Reactions: RealityOne
Aug 6, 2017
I am pretty new to magic so my tricks are not my own. I do personalize them but feel they are not where I want them to be at yet.

I sometimes do the Dunbury Mystery and I reference The Matrix at the end saying something about a glitch in the matrix (movie with Keanu Reeves...not a coin matrix).

I've noticed people near my age get the reference but younger generation not so much. The framing is on how we process reality but the reference still escapes them... Maybe not contemporary enough or it is just superflous.

I've never had anyone google it around me but I imagine if they did google matrix and magic it would send them down a wrong path. Kinda thinking I should avoid that even, maybe drop the reference and/or change the framing entirely.

During my ACR I never say the word "ambitious" although I think my framing is somewhat common. It's about how names and saying them correctly are important.

While it's common it is relevant to me and who is usually with me since my family has names that most struggle to say let alone spell.

I'll have to think up another framing to script... Or just not do an ACR. Which wouldn't be too bad really.

I do Card Warp when discussing the psychology of the "boundary effect". Pretty sure the scripting is google proof but the trick is pretty old and we'll know.

Sorry if it feels like I'm focusing too much on my personal stuff but just getting ideas down of where I need to work on improvements and thought someone else may find it useful.

I'm glad your able to get your thoughts down.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Here's an example. A while back I challenged myself to come up with a different presentation for the ACR. I actually came up with two, which I will describe here -
1) This one was for a contest. I can't remember if it was here or Ellusionist, though. It had to use the color red. I started with a blue deck, and after a selection I talked about how someone can start the day feeling on top of the world. Then maybe something knocks them down (card goes to the bottom of the deck, face up), and they have to struggle to find their way back up to that great mood (Card is raising slowly, and visibly through the deck). Along the way they knock into people, maybe snap at them, spreading their bad mood to others. So even if they get back to feeling great (card is back on top), they don't realize how much negativity they've spread through the crowds (Spread the deck, and it's all red except the selection which is blue).

2) This was to see if I could create a bizarre presentation for the ACR.
You ever heard of pursuit predation? It's the reason humans are built the way we are. You see, we used to just track and chase our prey until it was so exhausted we could kill it. Ever since I read about that, I think about it every now and then. Imagine you're wandering through the woods (I flip through the deck slowly) and you see ... something. (Show one card clearly). Something scary. So you try to hide, but suddenly it's right there, near you! (Show the card has appeared on top of the deck). So you run away (card goes to the bottom of the deck). You think you're safe, but it's there again! (Card appears on top). So you try to keep your distance, but you keep it in sight (Card goes to the bottom, face up), and you run. But every time you turn around, it's there, closer (card slowly and visibly moves up through the deck) until you just can't keep going. You stop, and it's there. (Card is on top). Wouldn't that be creepy?

May 14, 2017
Greece
When i want to do a card effect that i know that is in youtube i always change the presentation and the name of the effect. Of course you NEVER say the real name of the trick cause my friend we dont live in 1980,people are connected to internet everyday and is very easy to find the trick if it is revealed in web.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
For my parlor show, I’ve developed a playbill (or “menu” as my wife calls it) of the routines that I perform. The names are bas d on the presentation. Even on this forum, I doubt that most of you can guess the real name of the effect. Here are a couple:

Uncle Jim’s Legacy
Houdini’s Last Trick
Dinner for Two
Compatability
The End of the Day
Apples and Oranges
Margarite’s Wishes
Fan Mail
Shakers and Olives
A Proper Tea Party

Actually, a couple of them are the real names but they are buried in books and not searchable on the internet. My linking ring routine is simply called “The Linking Rings” and done in a way that the audience concludes that I’m not using any methods that might be exposed on the internet.

All that brings me to what I think is the key. Use effects buried in books because internet exposers are too lazy to read. Use a unique presentation so what sticks with the audience doesn’t yes an internet search. Subtletly construct the effect so that it doesn’t appear to use obvious or exposed methods.

Aug 8, 2018
Hey bud I hope this helps.. Im also new to all this and bought the kit from Amazon that includes the rider back regular deck , the invisible and the Svengali .. I start with the Svengali routine and mess with their heads a bit then I have the invisible deck sitting by its self on the table , don't mention anything about it.. when I'm done I tell them wouldn't it be crazy that the entire time the same number card in the only one flipped upside down in this closed box that's been on its lonesome .. boom mind blown.. I then put them away and use the regular one to do some of the free card tricks on here that has me "reading " their minds.. I tell them I'm warming up .. then pull out the Sherlock Holmes book from theory 11 and melt their minds.. they call me the devil and that I must have a direct link to hell or something . we all have a laugh and they never suspect anything about what deck is what or what trick I just did as I'm hitting them back to back lol
Good luck

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Hey bud I hope this helps.. Im also new to all this and bought the kit from Amazon that includes the rider back regular deck , the invisible and the Svengali .. I start with the Svengali routine and mess with their heads a bit then I have the invisible deck sitting by its self on the table , don't mention anything about it.. when I'm done I tell them wouldn't it be crazy that the entire time the same number card in the only one flipped upside down in this closed box that's been on its lonesome .. boom mind blown.. I then put them away and use the regular one to do some of the free card tricks on here that has me "reading " their minds.. I tell them I'm warming up .. then pull out the Sherlock Holmes book from theory 11 and melt their minds.. they call me the devil and that I must have a direct link to hell or something . we all have a laugh and they never suspect anything about what deck is what or what trick I just did as I'm hitting them back to back lol
Good luck
It also helps that you're not calling these tricks by their name. If you said "this is known as the Svengali trick" or used the classic presentation of the invisible deck, it would be much easier to google. Also, I'm a bit late to this since you joined 11 days ago but welcome to the forums mate!

Sep 29, 2018
I hope this does not classify as thread bumping but...just wanted to ask (without creating a completely new thread when one related already exists)...

What if we do, say, the pinky bending effect as popularised by Dynamo or the arm twist (any version...) and people google up,"How to twist arms magic trick" or something, find a tutorial, and rub it on you, saying they have found the method?

Sep 29, 2018
Then you've learned that your presentation was not interesting or engaging enough.
Aah...Makes sense...

But what if that spectator is naturally, say, insecure?

Like, (doesn't this happen sometimes...) say you are a good human being and that gets reflected in your performance and everybody likes it, and likes you, your persona, etc. But if there's that one person who feels you are invading his/her ''area" or something?

Is there a good enough reply?

Or is that too somehow...The performer's fault?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results