Book Recommendations

Aug 9, 2018
United Kingdom
With the work I am doing at the moment, I get quite a large amount of private down time, which has been an absolutely wonderful opportunity to make my way through books.
I have read my way through all the so called "requirements" (RRTCM, EATCT, CC, Lepaul etc.)
I'm looking for something that's more of a modern release - maybe something from the last 5 years - that deals with mostly, if not specifically, sleight of hand with cards.
Budget doesn't matter to me too much, but I guess nothing above, say $30-40

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Vanishing Inc. has the best selection for this type of book. Art of Astonishment, or The Definitive Jay Sankey are great and full of all types of card magic. That's recent.

I really think that some of the best card magic out there was published by Marlo. It seems old because the guy is dead but much of it feels very modern. There's a reason why people are still performing the snap change, he was ahead of his time. I have read a bunch of modern books lately and have been sorely disappointed. Lots of poor crediting, lots of lame magic.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I was also thinking of The Art of Astonishment even though its not as recent as past 5 years. Each book is over 50 bucks but well worth it. It has more than just cards but still plenty of card stuff. I picked it up several months ago and consider it my best purchase to date.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
My recommendations:

Art of Astonishment
The Complete Walton (if still in print)
Drawing Room Deceptions
Anything by John Bannon that you can find in print (maybe not Mentalissimo and Destination Zero)
One Degree by John Gustaferro
The Aretalogy of Vanni Bossi
A Book in English by Woody Aragon
Secrets of So Sato (reading this one now)

Reactions: sk1ndeep
Jun 7, 2018
check out:
JK Hartman's Card Craft and Aftercraft are great. Also Rich Aviles' Above the Fold, Caleb Wiles' High Spots and Chris Mayhew's Clockwork Apple. They are short booklets that Vanishing Inc recently put out by three great younger magicians. Good stuff with some fresh takes on classics.

Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Definitely as everyone had already said, check out the Art of Adtonishment series by Paul Harris. I personally think Paul Harris is the most creative, innovative magician I have ever seen. Some of his methods are bold, but some great tricks he has in his books are Reset, Big Time Leaper, Counterfeit Spectator and so many more. The books also have fantastic essays on the concept of astonishment and could redefine your perspective of magic.

Reactions: RealityOne
Dec 5, 2015
With the work I am doing at the moment, I get quite a large amount of private down time, which has been an absolutely wonderful opportunity to make my way through books.
I have read my way through all the so called "requirements" (RRTCM, EATCT, CC, Lepaul etc.)
I'm looking for something that's more of a modern release - maybe something from the last 5 years - that deals with mostly, if not specifically, sleight of hand with cards.
Budget doesn't matter to me too much, but I guess nothing above, say $30-40

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The Secrets of So Sato by Richard Kauffman - I love this book the effects in this book are simple but very effective. There is an effect in this book called Brushfire Triumph which is a very visual and chaotic drunken shuffle triumph. It is one of my favorite effects to perform, I highly recommend this book.

Brushfire Triumph performance:

Doug Edwards Packs a Wallop! by Harry Lorayne - One of the few magic books I finished due to the effects and slights taught in this book is simple. Even the actual effect Packs a Wallop is a fun trick to do for spectators.

The Complete Works of Derek Dingle by Richard Kauffman - This book is not for the faint of heart the moves are knuckle busting, in a good way but the effects in this is awesome. I especially like Derek's card under glass, I love performing this whenever I have a chance.

The Card Magic of Nick Trost - Love this book, this is a collection of self-working material from Nick Trost. I perform a lot of these trick if I am asked to perform out of the blue. The only thing about this book is that it's out of print so you might have to find PDF version.

Reactions: sk1ndeep
Aug 9, 2018
United Kingdom
The Secrets of So Sato by Richard Kauffman - I love this book the effects in this book are simple but very effective. There is an effect in this book called Brushfire Triumph which is a very visual and chaotic drunken shuffle triumph. It is one of my favorite effects to perform, I highly recommend this book.

Brushfire Triumph performance:

Doug Edwards Packs a Wallop! by Harry Lorayne - One of the few magic books I finished due to the effects and slights taught in this book is simple. Even the actual effect Packs a Wallop is a fun trick to do for spectators.

The Complete Works of Derek Dingle by Richard Kauffman - This book is not for the faint of heart the moves are knuckle busting, in a good way but the effects in this is awesome. I especially like Derek's card under glass, I love performing this whenever I have a chance.

The Card Magic of Nick Trost - Love this book, this is a collection of self-working material from Nick Trost. I perform a lot of these trick if I am asked to perform out of the blue. The only thing about this book is that it's out of print so you might have to find PDF version.

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. I ended up purchasing John Bannon's Dear Mr. Fantastic yesterday. Having lots of fun reading through it so far

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results