Is a close up pad worth it?

Aug 17, 2018
I just started doing card tricks and I really like them. I already ordered 2 bicycle decks 1 Porcelain and Dragonbacks. But my question is should I buy a close up pad? I do my magic on a decent razer gaming mousepad and Its's fine but is a close up pad "better"?

Thanks, -zbik

Aug 17, 2018
Yes! Yes! Yes! You can’t beat the quality and feel of a good close up pad. But it doesn’t make me a better magician any more than my cool Theory 11 decks do.
Yeah I was just looking at their decks and I literally fell in love with the "Love me" deck. I think I'm going to buy it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
My personal advice is to practice on the kind of surface(s) you'll be performing on.

If you're used to a soft surface, like a close up pad, and then you end up performing on a wood table, you'll run into issues. Little issues mostly, but things that can disrupt your flow in performance.

The flip side of that is that if you're used to using a table and then have an opportunity to use a pad, you'll be fine.

Personally, I practice on all types of surfaces. I actually have a big close up pad that's pretty nice (The Ellusionist Colossal Close Up Pad), but I rarely use it. Mostly I'm on a wood table with a table cloth on it (ie: my dining room table)

Sep 10, 2017
Definitely. Even though not something like Dan and Dave(not yet at least).
If you ever get interested in table work you need one. You could either buy one or make your own. If you make one for yourself it would be much cheaper and you could find tons of tutorials on how to make it on youtube.

Dec 5, 2014
Close-up pads are so great!
I bought one off of penguin magic for around $30-ish so not too pricey.
I use it for table magic and even use it as a place-mat for my laptop when I'm not practicing.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Murphy's has a line of cheap close up pads. I paid 7 dollars US for a standard size mat and I love it. You can easily clean it, and you can even roll it up for taking it on the go.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Oct 19, 2015
I have a close up pad and with the arteritis (I am 60+) I have in my hands is make card work possible. I would not work without it.

I have a small trunk I pack and move my magic in, I have to roll up my mat to fit it in the trunk. I do not roll it tight, just loosely rolled with a piece of rope tied to hold it to in a role. I roll it with the outside in. I have owned it probably around 3 years.

Problem is, it developed wrinkles and marks on the front surface during the first few weeks.

Does anyone know of a quality mat that can be stored rolled up and will not get damaged?

Mar 14, 2018
In my opinion you can't beat a good close up pad for cards, the cups and balls, and coin routines such as the coin matrix, but that is a personal preference. If you can work without it and your effects look great since as a magician you should not only entertain your audience, but consider how it looks to them. What I mean is not only the trick, but the beauty of it, then working without it is fine.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
My personal advice is to practice on the kind of surface(s) you'll be performing on.

Yup! Most of the time I practice on a flat smooth surface for this reason. When I am able to perform with a close up pad it is heavenly.

You do not NEED a close up pad by any means.

Oct 19, 2015
If you are old like I am and your hands have arthritis splitting a deck to shuffle is a challenge without a pad....so for some a pad is necessary, for some...

Reactions: abletudu

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Problem is, it developed wrinkles and marks on the front surface during the first few weeks.

Does anyone know of a quality mat that can be stored rolled up and will not get damaged?

Hey Timewise,

With the next mat you buy, try rolling the soft side outwards rather than inwards. I have quite a few and store all of them soft side out to prevent them wrinkling. Works wonders.

Hope this helps!

B.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'll be honest, I've been performing for 19 years now and yes close up pads are nice and look professional - especially at a formal close up show. But in the day to day table hopping or strolling you just don't simply have the place to set it 9 times out of 10.

Oct 19, 2015
I'll be honest, I've been performing for 19 years now and yes close up pads are nice and look professional - especially at a formal close up show. But in the day to day table hopping or strolling you just don't simply have the place to set it 9 times out of 10.

I don't ever perform using that style. But thanks....my hands are a bit stiff do to age and picking up cards off of a hard surface is difficult at best! For me a mat of some kind is required.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results