Making transition to doing magic full time

Sep 12, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am very passionate about magic and have been for about 4 years, I currently am not happy with my current job, but am not wanting to give it up completely as being a magician doesn't seem like a it is a guaranteed income. Do any of you guys who have made this transition to doing magic full time have any tips/guidance on the best way to do this?

Thanks a lot,
Wrigley

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Start with weekend performances and build up from there. Understand that it's actually a pretty small percentage of people who make their living 100% from performance. Most people also sell products, write books, consult with TV shows or other performers, etc. Even Dan Sperry has a side income with his coffee business.

So start building your business while you still have a steady income from the day job. Learn to market the performances you want to do, how to budget, how to save, how to handle taxes, building client relationships, that sort of stuff.

Once you've got a few years' of income saved, and you've got enough money coming in that you are sure you can continue paying bills without a unacceptable drop in quality of life, that's when you consider making the jump to full time. I know that doesn't sound super fun and exciting but it will help you avoid the situation of deciding between rent and groceries.

Sep 12, 2018
save money, start to practise the magic, and learn different types of the magic tool,
Start with weekend performances and build up from there. Understand that it's actually a pretty small percentage of people who make their living 100% from performance. Most people also sell products, write books, consult with TV shows or other performers, etc. Even Dan Sperry has a side income with his coffee business.

So start building your business while you still have a steady income from the day job. Learn to market the performances you want to do, how to budget, how to save, how to handle taxes, building client relationships, that sort of stuff.

Once you've got a few years' of income saved, and you've got enough money coming in that you are sure you can continue paying bills without a unacceptable drop in quality of life, that's when you consider making the jump to full time. I know that doesn't sound super fun and exciting but it will help you avoid the situation of deciding between rent and groceries.
i think learning different types of the magic tool is also mattered, suggest marked cards as the aid tool for a starter.

Reactions: Wrigley97

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
How much of your income is derived from performance, Luminous?

The nitty gritty truth is that when you're a professional performer, the actual performance is only a fairly small fraction of what keeps you in business. You have to do well enough to get some people to say you're good at what you do. That's it. The rest is convincing people that you are worth paying.

Trust me, there are tons of extremely talented performers who would never make it as a professional and there are plenty of professionals who aren't really that great. There are also professionals who are good, obviously, but the two aren't as closely related as one might think.

'Professional Performer' means the person makes the majority of their income from performance. That's it. They could be awful, but if they can keep getting people to pay them, they're still a professional.

Reactions: Wrigley97
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results