• Yeah!

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Not really

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 30, 2009
Bay Area, California
Hey all,

I've been working on a deck of cards. Still trying to flesh out the main theme I want to go for but right now its sort of based on Tarot cards. Spades, Clubs, Hearts, and Diamonds are also Swords, Wands, Cups, and Pentagrams respectively like in a tarot deck. There's also 4 colors instead of 2. The idea is for this deck to also be the minor arcana of a tarot deck and later I can design a "major arcana expansion" deck that when combined with this deck would make it into a full tarot deck. The major arcana card in a tarot deck are the ones with names like "The Magician", "The Fool", "Death", "Justice", etc. The minor arcana are the 4 suits with the Ace, 2-10, and the court cards so that would be this deck. Maybe even will include a couple Major arcana as the Joker cards. Like "The Fool" and "Death" cards since most playing card decks have 2 jokers anyways.

I'm also playing around with a duality idea of each of the court cards having slightly different sides. One being normal and the other side being a bit rough or unkempt. This would make them not perfectly symmetrical which would also be good for using them as Tarot cards since a card being upside down means something different than if it is turned right side up. That's one of the reasons I went with the current diamond pip design that isn't symmetrical top to bottom.

Anyways, I'm rambling on now. So what do you think? Any critiques or suggestions on the design?

TL;DR - I'm designing a deck of cards. What do you think?

Reactions: Justin.Morris
Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Still working on the back design. Here's an update on the court cards though:
These court cards are absolutely amazing, I love the simple, geometric line drawing sort of feel to it. I feel like a lot of cards today have a more elegant realistic feel and I don't like those cards too much (like the Apothecary series) because there's so much happening there.

I was wondering, is that fool supposed to be flipping us all off? Also, I love the duality theme of each court card, it's a really nice touch. However, it's not on every card and I was wondering if that was intentional as well. Like the Jack of Spades shows a knight with visor up which shows the chivalrous side of knights and the visor down kind of shows the brutal murdering part (which you could touch up with some blood on the sword if you want to, don't have to listen to me), but most of the Kings are symmetrical. Personally, I think that it should be all in or all out, but it is your deck of cards and you can whatever you want with it. I'm really excited to see these on Kickstarter!

Reactions: mrdude42
Sep 14, 2018
Allentown, PA
I love this idea. I couldnt tell you how many hours I spent on the internet looking for a deck just like this. Tarot cards hold a place in my heart. They remind me of my grandma giving us readings as little kids. Id definitely buy these

May 30, 2009
Bay Area, California
These court cards are absolutely amazing, I love the simple, geometric line drawing sort of feel to it. I feel like a lot of cards today have a more elegant realistic feel and I don't like those cards too much (like the Apothecary series) because there's so much happening there.

I was wondering, is that fool supposed to be flipping us all off? Also, I love the duality theme of each court card, it's a really nice touch. However, it's not on every card and I was wondering if that was intentional as well. Like the Jack of Spades shows a knight with visor up which shows the chivalrous side of knights and the visor down kind of shows the brutal murdering part (which you could touch up with some blood on the sword if you want to, don't have to listen to me), but most of the Kings are symmetrical. Personally, I think that it should be all in or all out, but it is your deck of cards and you can whatever you want with it. I'm really excited to see these on Kickstarter!

Thank for the good tips. I definitely want all of the court cards to have different sides. The one's who are the same are like that just because I have finished them yet. Still a lot of work to do!

May 30, 2009
Bay Area, California
Here's an update with the numbered cards included. Still struggling with choosing the colors. Aces still need a lot of work. Court card faces need color... Also still working on backs.

(Click thumbnail to see full size version)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results