Improving Patter

Sep 12, 2018
Hi guys,
I am about to start performing and I can do a good few tricks and I reckon I can do them pretty well, but one thing I struggle with is the patter that comes with the tricks. I seem to run out of words which makes it easier for spectators to notice certain moves. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Wrigley.

Oct 19, 2015
Most everyone I have talked with tell me you have to have a memorized story. Not off the top of your head, or following a general outline of what you want to say. As I learned this I have begun to write the scripts and working to memorizing the story. I think this is some of the best advise I have been given, it is hard work, but takes all the fear out of performing, as you know exactly what your are going to do and say! I recently purchased a book that adds much more information on this topic. You might want to check it out. The name of the book is "Scripting Magic" by Pete McCabe...Good Luck

Reactions: Wrigley97

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Scripting Magic is an excellent pair of books.

Not only do you want to memorize the entirety of your script, you want to rehearse it to the point where you never have to think about the next line. It should come to you naturally, like you're just thinking of it.

Also, when you rehearse it thoroughly you begin to associate the movements you'll be making (like sleights) with the line of script, so you pace it out better and don't run out of things to say until the end of the routine.

From experience I have found it easier to carry out conversation with people along with the patter. If I focus too much on a script I lose a sense of life to the performance. Try to imagine the people you are performing for as relatives so that you may feel more comfortable to fill in those dead spots in your patter.

Reactions: CWhite

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
From experience I have found it easier to carry out conversation with people along with the patter. If I focus too much on a script I lose a sense of life to the performance. Try to imagine the people you are performing for as relatives so that you may feel more comfortable to fill in those dead spots in your patter.
Definitely. You shouldn't always go strictly by your script and as a result be unreceptive to your audience. You should be able to leave your script to interact with the audience and even be ready to abandon it to adapt to circumstances around you. Having the script allows you to be more fluid with your audience. You know what to say going in, you can move away from it if you need to, and come back to it later if needed.

There are many positive aspects to having a script then simply to just know what to say, it also provides a clear framework for the effect you want to perform. It can help you see the effect from an outside perspective.

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results