Please type like humans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2007
Mississippi
This may be rather off topic but there are no other forums for it and I feel like it should be addressed. To many people are making annoying post in the media section and forums using crazy abbreviations and huge spelling errors. How long does it take to capitalize the letter "i" or type the word "your" unsted or "ur."
Do you think that when you give people in the media section advise by saying "ur moves r to fast u need to work on ur smothness." (not quoting anyone here.) they are going to take you seriously? When you don't even take the time to write like a human people are getting one of two messages from you. 1) That you are to stupid to type legably or 2) That you don't care enough about the other person to type well. Also not everyone on these forums speaks english as their first language, Its hard enough for us to understand what you are saying let alone them. It also makes Theory11 seem like an unprofessional site. This isn't youtube its a site dedicated to a serious art. No one cares if you say things like ARC or IMO and no one cares if you can't spell perfectly (I've probably made a dozen spelling errors in this post.) Just stop leaving these strange criptic messages around the site.

Loz

Oct 5, 2007
Northampton, England
I know you acknowledged you'd probably made a lot of spelling errors but boy did you make a lot. And I mean a lot.

At least if you're going to criticise the way other people express themselves, set an example and do everyone else the decency of proof reading your own post first.

Edit: having said that I do whole heartedly agree.

Sep 1, 2007
This may be rather off topic but there are no other forums for it and I feel like it should be addressed. To many people are making annoying post in the media section and forums using crazy abbreviations and huge spelling errors. How long does it take to capitalize the letter "i" or type the word "your" unsted or "ur."
Do you think that when you give people in the media section advise by saying "ur moves r to fast u need to work on ur smothness." (not quoting anyone here.) they are going to take you seriously? When you don't even take the time to write like a human people are getting one of two messages from you. 1) That you are to stupid to type legably or 2) That you don't care enough about the other person to type well. Also not everyone on these forums speaks english as their first language, Its hard enough for us to understand what you are saying let alone them. It also makes Theory11 seem like an unprofessional site. This isn't youtube its a site dedicated to a serious art. No one cares if you say things like ARC or IMO and no one cares if you can't spell perfectly (I've probably made a dozen spelling errors in this post.) Just stop leaving these strange criptic messages around the site.

What, are you prejudiced against us chimps?

No, just kidding. I completely agree. It's hard enough having to type this argot, let alone read it.

I would think that especially in a place like this, one would want to be clear.

We should treat these forums not as electronic post-its, but as an actual converstional medium.

That said, read your post (Bizar) over again. You made some grammatical mistakes. It would probably help drive the point if those weren't there...yeah...

Sep 1, 2007
austria
although personally i don't have a problem with the common abbreviations i also prefer normal sentences, but i have to admit i'm way too lazy to use capital letters, because since i never learned the real typing system it just takes alot longer if i use the capital letters, and i think it's not really necessary, except when you want to be really formal. anyway, i think this post is kind of useless because those who use the stuff like "i c u" won't stop because some others don't like it.

Nov 6, 2007
I could really care less. I mean, it's nice to have people type in structured, gramically-correct sentences but I believe it's personal preference. Although I can't lie, I do not take people who cannot take the time to properly format their post very seriously. It's their own choice though.

Personally I've been raised to type/write everything in a nice, structured format, so that's basically what I naturally do. It may not matter much here but out there in the real world it most definitely will.

Sep 1, 2007
I would think that especially in a place like this, one would want to be clear.

We should treat these forums not as electronic post-its, but as an actual converstional medium.

I'm totally behind you on that, but the last time I tried to convince some philistine of that, he gave me a response that looked something like this:

"this am not inglish class...... i dun need type gud 4 u. hahaha noob"

The sad thing is that I'm not taking much liberty with his words.

These throwbacks seem to think that because it's the Internet, they don't have to type in a manner that can be understood by those of us whose language does not consist of grunts, hoots, and whistles. They see no problem with typing with their elbows because they don't care whether or not you understand them. I'd go so far as to say that they mistake your inability to interpret their gibberish for wit on their part.

I really hate stupid people is what I'm trying to say.

So here's the question: how do we educate the willingly stupid? Is it even worth the effort to try?

Aug 31, 2007
personaly thats the only reason why I dont go on this forum that much, in my opinion there needs to be strickter rules.

Oct 16, 2007
i lyk cmptly agreeee

See now I was close to posting something to this nature however, I am glad that I waited as you have put it more eloquently than I ever could without having directly offended any one person (which when discussing grammar, I tend to do.) I do whole heartedly agree with the fact that it is a problem but unfortunately, the computer age has bred illiterates what with AIM's myriad of abreviations (including but not limited to: 2, ur, lol, brb, rotfl etc...). Looking forward, I hope many people read this and take it into consideration...

Nov 29, 2007
i agree completely except for the "i" problem it's entirely legible. If someone typed i instead of I it's no big deal. I mean why would we even need to capitalize i. I never understood why whoever the crap made the english language needed i to be capitalized.

Dec 15, 2007
I agree completely. I may not triple check my work, or type the perfect way, but usually I can make it easily legible etc.

Thank you for finally posting this, I mean, I don't mind some slang, but when it' i tink tat was rely cul, can u teach me to do it? Then that's a little overboard.

I also dont mind speling mistaces, becuase I do them often on thw computwe, dont you? (I mispelled a lot of stuff there on purpose JSYK)

I'm sure that wasn't structured too well, but hopefully you get the point.

Editting this for no plausible reason

Dec 15, 2007
personaly thats the only reason why I dont go on this forum that much, in my opinion there needs to be strickter rules.

I hope you wrote that to be funny....

Just messin' with you, hope you don't get angry...

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I am no grammar expert and the last person to flame someone for poor sentence structure and writing. I will say that those who develop poor writing habits and laziness in writing are going to have issues down the road when it comes to higher education and job related tasks. Take it from someone who replied to his boss's e-mail with 'rofl' in the first line....only to have my boss walk in and say "What the hell is rofl??".

I am fine with the occasional internet shorthand of things but please use it in moderation.

--Jim

p.s.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Write like that and see how many laughs you get =)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Thanks for posting this... it needed to be said. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people type worse than a 4 year old, and you want to help them, but you can't understand what they need help with because of their incoherent typing.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
im gonna be honest here. i dont care! i find it highly annoying to type those little ' in it's and typing big i's all the time. i dont even use big letters in start of a new sentence. my grammar and spelling can be beyond horrible at times cause this isnt my first language.

Sep 4, 2007
I'm totally behind you on that, but the last time I tried to convince some philistine of that, he gave me a response that looked something like this:

"this am not inglish class...... i dun need type gud 4 u. hahaha noob"

The sad thing is that I'm not taking much liberty with his words.

These throwbacks seem to think that because it's the Internet, they don't have to type in a manner that can be understood by those of us whose language does not consist of grunts, hoots, and whistles. They see no problem with typing with their elbows because they don't care whether or not you understand them. I'd go so far as to say that they mistake your inability to interpret their gibberish for wit on their part.

I really hate stupid people is what I'm trying to say.

So here's the question: how do we educate the willingly stupid? Is it even worth the effort to try?

It's a waste of time. True magicians aren't willingly stupid and no one here is that dumb. We can lack common sense sometimes though...........:D

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
god geyez y such th fuss??? its nt lke u cnt read ths r nythng. i tink tht we shld b abel 2 rite lk ths.

But seriously, it does get annoying when somebody writes a nice review or comment, and then they have to pop in the occasional "lol", "lmao", or "rofl" (I always think that's pronounced raw-full). I think stricter rules should be enforced. I'm not saying everybody does this.

I think that you should be forced to either edit your post or have it removed. Gives me a headache reading all those mis-spelled words. Now I g2g check my im's cuz im xpecting smthn.

Cheers (chrs?),

//David.Misner::

Sep 1, 2007
I don't really want to spend much more time on this, but I'd just like to say that It really doesn't take much effort to be legible.

Just take thirty seconds when you're done typing to make sure you've actually written what you meant. That's all. I've had cases where I didn't do that and ended up saying some incredibly stupid things.

Those thirty seconds will make everything easier on everyone.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results