Need some help with my first show.

Jun 29, 2017
In less than a month I have my first ever show that I will do in front of 60 people and I’m going to preform in a theater and I’m a close up kind a guy so I was hoping someone can give me some advise or some tips or anything that can help me in my performance.

Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
In less than a month I have my first ever show that I will do in front of 60 people and I’m going to preform in a theater and I’m a close up kind a guy so I was hoping someone can give me some advise or some tips or anything that can help me in my performance.
Well first off, congratulations! Performing in a theater is pretty awesome, though completely different from close-up for just a few buddies.

If you're doing close-up card magic or any close-up actually, you could ask the theater to set up a screen with a camera more zoomed in on you and your spectators. First time I did an act at the local theater, I didn't realize that it was hard to see everything that was happening, even though the stage was set up lower than the house seats.

Other than that, practice, practice, practice! Sometimes, I'll practice as soon as I wake up, sleep-deprived, even after pulling an all-nighter, etc., in as many conditions as possible. I also try to leave nothing to just muscle memory. You don't want to forget the sequence to a trick halfway through your act.

Oct 7, 2018
Congrats mate! As MattieuZ said you can always ask for a screen to be set up. If you don't have a screen try to perform routines that give you chance to get the audience involve. Example: make an envelop win an extra hidden pocket inside, take a playing card, write a name and a number on it. Place it in the envelop pocket and have a clean duplicate in your deck. and your set to go. Select a random audience member, force The clean card and hand him the envelope And ask him to put the card in and seal it. Hand it to another audience member for safe keeping. Choose two more people and force the name and the number. Be creative with your performance and the build up to the big reveal. Then get the envelope And rip it open from where the pocket is and you'll get the premaid card with the chosen number and the name on it.
That's an example of a routine you can get people involved it.
Moreover, try and walk through them, joke around, talk to them, and try to maintain a strong stage presence throughout your show.
If you can get a screen, I find it that gambling routines are very good for a stage shows as you can have a table set up for you, invite a few people to join you, and then magic away.
Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Sep 29, 2018
Congratulations bruh! That's some sweet news anyways!

I guess my basic and first advice would be "Perform some mentalism or mind reading effect. And make the reveal big."

However, a few questions:-

How big is the stage?
Is arranging for the screen thingy possible?
How long is the show?
How many effects have you planned for?

Most importantly, what's your style? Gothic? Chilled out millenial? Shy Performer? Sly Artist? Comic Guy? Weeping Philosopher? David-Blaine-style typical blank look? Energified kid? Or is the typical ''high-end-wearing-suit-magician" ?

All the above styles are equally good...but which is you? Or is it something different than the ones I listed?

With all these answers I am sure the experts on here will be able to guide you much better.
:) :) :)

Jun 29, 2017
Well first off, congratulations! Performing in a theater is pretty awesome, though completely different from close-up for just a few buddies.

If you're doing close-up card magic or any close-up actually, you could ask the theater to set up a screen with a camera more zoomed in on you and your spectators. First time I did an act at the local theater, I didn't realize that it was hard to see everything that was happening, even though the stage was set up lower than the house seats.

Other than that, practice, practice, practice! Sometimes, I'll practice as soon as I wake up, sleep-deprived, even after pulling an all-nighter, etc., in as many conditions as possible. I also try to leave nothing to just muscle memory. You don't want to forget the sequence to a trick halfway through your act.
Thanks you very much mate I’ll practice and practice and practice for sure and thanks for all the support.

Jun 29, 2017
T
Congratulations bruh! That's some sweet news anyways!

I guess my basic and first advice would be "Perform some mentalism or mind reading effect. And make the reveal big."

However, a few questions:-

How big is the stage?
Is arranging for the screen thingy possible?
How long is the show?
How many effects have you planned for?

Most importantly, what's your style? Gothic? Chilled out millenial? Shy Performer? Sly Artist? Comic Guy? Weeping Philosopher? David-Blaine-style typical blank look? Energified kid? Or is the typical ''high-end-wearing-suit-magician" ?

All the above styles are equally good...but which is you? Or is it something different than the ones I listed?

With all these answers I am sure the experts on here will be able to guide you much better.
:) :) :)
he stage can hold up to 70 people and I have around half an hour, I’m the kind that likes to get close to the spectator and have a lot of conversation with them, I’ve already told them about the screen and I’m waiting for an answer.

Jun 29, 2017
Congrats mate! As MattieuZ said you can always ask for a screen to be set up. If you don't have a screen try to perform routines that give you chance to get the audience involve. Example: make an envelop win an extra hidden pocket inside, take a playing card, write a name and a number on it. Place it in the envelop pocket and have a clean duplicate in your deck. and your set to go. Select a random audience member, force The clean card and hand him the envelope And ask him to put the card in and seal it. Hand it to another audience member for safe keeping. Choose two more people and force the name and the number. Be creative with your performance and the build up to the big reveal. Then get the envelope And rip it open from where the pocket is and you'll get the premaid card with the chosen number and the name on it.
That's an example of a routine you can get people involved it.
Moreover, try and walk through them, joke around, talk to them, and try to maintain a strong stage presence throughout your show.
If you can get a screen, I find it that gambling routines are very good for a stage shows as you can have a table set up for you, invite a few people to join you, and then magic away.
Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)
Thanks a lot mate, and I will make sure to put your idea into my performance I have already planned some kind of reveal and your idea is a good one also so thanks a lot for the idea.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results