Looking trick up on youtube

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If they are coming back to you and telling you how they think you did your tricks, or if they're calling methods out during the performance - that's because of something in the performance challenging them to do so.

There are probably always going to be people who think about methods. Naturally curious, engineers, etc. That's not the problem. The problem is when they care more about proving they know the method than enjoying the show. A perfect example of that is a couple years ago I did a show at a bar near here. Some of my friends came up, all of whom are very intelligent programmer/engineer types, and we're the type of friends that give each other a hard time for funsies. Some time after the show I was chatting with one of the guys and that show came up, and his feedback was, "I remember realizing that I was not questioning what you were saying nearly as much as I thought I would." In other words, he was engaged enough by my scripting and presentation that he just went along with it until after the fact when he went back over the show in his head.

I know I harp on things being the performer's fault, but that's because usually they are. If a performance doesn't go how I want it to, the first thing I look to change is the performance. What am I doing that I could be doing differently?

Ask yourself the same question.

Oct 23, 2016
Singapore
Whenever someone ask me for the name of the trick, I'd come up with an excuse. Some cliche, some truthful and some are just nonsense I put together to avoid answering them. They can go from, "it's magic!" to "I spent hours learning this, I'm not willing to divulge it to you so easily" or "I sold my soul to the dead magicians so that can possess me for that one moment I performed this trick for you."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results