YOU DON'T GET TO KNOW HOW IT WORKS!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I think we agree that magic is the illusion of the impossible. Where we disagree is how we convince our audience what we have done is impossible.

Let’s start off with the simple statement that I disagree with Tamariz’s theory in the Magic Way. The deliberate path of subtlety suggesting a method and disproving it leads to the conclusion that there is a method but you just can’t figure it out. That is frustration, not entertainment.

I don’t disagree that an effect should be structured so as to subtlety disprove real or imagined methods. But I don’t think that is what makes something impossible. Impossibility exists prior to the exploration of any methods by the audience but instead is based on the effect of the effect. That is, we know something is impossible when we see it based on our human experience.

I can remove the special effects from a movie and still have a movie. If I remove the method from magic, I no longer have magic.

Impossibility doesn't depend on not knowing the method, but rather than knowing that what you have seen is impossible.

If you can't figure out the method, you still know there is a method. That ruins the illusion of magic because it then becomes just a puzzle you can't solve. To me, that means that magic becomes possible... but you just don't know how. To make it truly impossible, you have to leave the audience thinking about something other than "how did he do that?" Instead, I try to get "I can't believe he did that!"

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I think we agree that magic is the illusion of the impossible. Where we disagree is how we convince our audience what we have done is impossible.

Let’s start off with the simple statement that I disagree with Tamariz’s theory in the Magic Way. The deliberate path of subtlety suggesting a method and disproving it leads to the conclusion that there is a method but you just can’t figure it out. That is frustration, not entertainment.

I don’t disagree that an effect should be structured so as to subtlety disprove real or imagined methods. But I don’t think that is what makes something impossible. Impossibility exists prior to the exploration of any methods by the audience but instead is based on the effect of the effect. That is, we know something is impossible when we see it based on our human experience.

Impossibility doesn't depend on not knowing the method, but rather than knowing that what you have seen is impossible.

If you can't figure out the method, you still know there is a method. That ruins the illusion of magic because it then becomes just a puzzle you can't solve. To me, that means that magic becomes possible... but you just don't know how. To make it truly impossible, you have to leave the audience thinking about something other than "how did he do that?" Instead, I try to get "I can't believe he did that!"

David, this is why I love this forum!

You know I have all the respect in the world for you. I don't think we are going to agree on this, which is fine.

I was thinking about your arguments and my counter-arguments here and I bet if we sifted through these pages long enough we could find 3 other conversations where we argued similar points to these. Good times :)

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results