Best Card Magic Books?

Aug 17, 2017
I’m looking for some books to ask my family to give me on Christmas. I thought about Card College, but it’s out of stock. What books do you guys recommend?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Card College 1 and 2 are in stock at Penguin Magic (only 7 left for volume 1).

To give you any recommendations, please tell us about you and what you are looking for. What books and DVDs/Videos do you have? How long have you been doing magic? What effects do you perform most frequently? Are you looking for interesting effects, classics, books that teach lots of sleight, effects with good presentation, books that are written well and fun to read?

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
May 12, 2013
While the Card College series is wonderful, there’s a few of it’s predecessors that are worthwhile. Hugard and Braue’s Royal Road to Card Magic and Encyclopedia of Card Magic are inexpensive, readily available, and full of great material. If I remember correctly, Paul Wilson put out a DVD set on Royal Road if that’s more to your liking.

Jun 18, 2017
I learned more for card college than all the other classics combined. A much easier read, no filler, and regularly paced tricks to combine what you’ve learnt.

It’s in stock at penguin. I wish it had been my first port of call as I wasted years dipping in and out of magic with no direction until I found it.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I learned more for card college than all the other classics combined. A much easier read, no filler, and regularly paced tricks to combine what you’ve learnt.

It’s in stock at penguin. I wish it had been my first port of call as I wasted years dipping in and out of magic with no direction until I found it.

The more I learn, the more I think that Card College is the best place to start. Don't get me wrong, I love the classics like Royal Road and Expert Card Technique, but Card College gives you a much better foundation. After that, go back and review the earlier books -- they will make a lot more sense and be of a much higher value.

Reactions: NinoIng
Aug 17, 2017
Card College 1 and 2 are in stock at Penguin Magic (only 7 left for volume 1).

To give you any recommendations, please tell us about you and what you are looking for. What books and DVDs/Videos do you have? How long have you been doing magic? What effects do you perform most frequently? Are you looking for interesting effects, classics, books that teach lots of sleight, effects with good presentation, books that are written well and fun to read?
I LOVE cards. I’ve been doing magic for around 8 years now, and I’ve focused on card magic. As for the books I have, [edited for talking about piracy]. I want to find some books that give me astonishing tricks and that are easy and fun to read. I also want to find a book to flirt using magic, if something like that exists.

Last edited by a moderator:

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
On ebay they’re sold individually for exorbitating prices and on the website they’re available, but it comes from Italy and won’t make it for christmas

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/497 (Six Left in Stock)
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/496 (More than 20 Left in Stock)

I LOVE cards. I’ve been doing magic for around 8 years now, and I’ve focused on card magic. As for the books I have, [edited for talking about piracy]. I want to find some books that give me astonishing tricks and that are easy and fun to read. I also want to find a book to flirt using magic, if something like that exists.

One Degree by John Guastaferro

Reactions: RickEverhart
Aug 1, 2008
The Self-Working Card Tricks books by Karl Fulves are very inexpensive and highly regarded, despite being self-workers.

There's some great material in those books!

I love those books. The nice thing about (so called) self-working tricks is that they make it easy to focus on your scripting and presentation, something which is frequently overlooked by many!

I would say Fulves and Bannon are my favorite in this category.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results