loss in interest for magic

Nov 8, 2018
ok so i've been doing basic card magic like the double lift snap change a few different card controls and a few cuts and false cuts, i've also done a little bit of cardistry like thumb fan, spring, anaconda dribble and some other flourishes. As of a week ago I feel like i've lost interest in doing all that and i don't know why. Its just not as fun to learn new card tricks or even practice ones I already know. I just don't wanna quit magic and cardistry because I feel like i've put too much time and effort to quit. Ive put a lot of time into perfecting my fan the best i can and much other tricks as well. All i'm wondering is if this happens to anyone else and what i should do.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
This happens to all of us. There are many avenues you can take. Take a break completely from magic and just enjoy life or another hobby and come back to magic. It will always be here for you. Or...change what you are working on in magic. Maybe try rope magic or coin magic or other magic with every day objects.
It sounds like you really enjoyed doing card effects, but were you actually performing effects for audiences and allowing them to react and enjoy magic? Not just color changes and such. Actual routines?

Dec 5, 2014
Same, I've lost interest going into college, but I noticed that after about a 6month break, I grew a stronger passion for it when I got back to it.

Maybe a tiny break would be good and you'll spark more interest later!

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
This happens to all of us. There are many avenues you can take. Take a break completely from magic and just enjoy life or another hobby and come back to magic. It will always be here for you. Or...change what you are working on in magic. Maybe try rope magic or coin magic or other magic with every day objects.
It sounds like you really enjoyed doing card effects, but were you actually performing effects for audiences and allowing them to react and enjoy magic? Not just color changes and such. Actual routines?
Rick nailed it. Id suggest giving this a try.

Reactions: RickEverhart
Dec 31, 2017
My interest always comes and goes. For several months I will be obsessed with it, and at other times I will just leave it alone. I think this is normal.

Jan 2, 2019
I lost interest in magic for 6 years and completely away from it after my obsession with magic when I in primary school. When I got into college I regained interest. The absense from magical world even more sparked my passion. Now I believe it’s my best friend for good

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results