Promposal Magic

Dec 26, 2018
Hi, I am Chris I am a junior in high school and prom is right around the corner and I'm known as the funny guy and I've done comedy magic in school and I've become quite popular. I am asking my friend to prom and she would like me to do a magic proposal and I'm a little lost for ideas. I do not wanna do something with cards and I cannot use fire so please any suggestions will help thanks!

Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Is it a girlfriend or a female friend? Cause these type of magic things could get really cringy or awkward depending on your relationship. That being said, I'd consider some balloon effects, those are overused at promposals so you could have fun changing up something overused there. There's a color-changing T-shirt thing you can buy here on theory11 that could work for the reveal/promposal, fun things you could do with loops/invisible string for a levitation effect of the four letter's "PROM", but something I personally would do is just visit your magic repertoire and see what you can turn into a promposal rather than try to come up something completely original. A lot of basic magic effects can be modified to fit something else.

Just some advice for whatever promposal you do, don't make it obvious that you're about to do it. The magic + the surprise of a promposal hits really hard and could literally melt minds. However, if it's obvious the promposal is coming, some of the magic could be lost because they're waiting for that promposal and are expecting that any minute and not focusing on the effect at hand.

For my junior prom (I'm a senior in high school currently), I did a variation on Asi Wind's "Double Exposure" which is a card trick so if that turns you off, stop reading here. I think it goes really well with a promposal because there's surprise, she's not expecting a promposal in the moment, and she's left with a tangible impossible souvenir on her phone. It's also a different kind of card trick than the one's people are used to so it had a different feel than those "4 Jacks Rob a Bank" type of tricks.

Reactions: colemancomedymagic
Dec 26, 2018
Is it a girlfriend or a female friend? Cause these type of magic things could get really cringy or awkward depending on your relationship. That being said, I'd consider some balloon effects, those are overused at promposals so you could have fun changing up something overused there. There's a color-changing T-shirt thing you can buy here on theory11 that could work for the reveal/promposal, fun things you could do with loops/invisible string for a levitation effect of the four letter's "PROM", but something I personally would do is just visit your magic repertoire and see what you can turn into a promposal rather than try to come up something completely original. A lot of basic magic effects can be modified to fit something else.

Just some advice for whatever promposal you do, don't make it obvious that you're about to do it. The magic + the surprise of a promposal hits really hard and could literally melt minds. However, if it's obvious the promposal is coming, some of the magic could be lost because they're waiting for that promposal and are expecting that any minute and not focusing on the effect at hand.

For my junior prom (I'm a senior in high school currently), I did a variation on Asi Wind's "Double Exposure" which is a card trick so if that turns you off, stop reading here. I think it goes really well with a promposal because there's surprise, she's not expecting a promposal in the moment, and she's left with a tangible impossible souvenir on her phone. It's also a different kind of card trick than the one's people are used to so it had a different feel than those "4 Jacks Rob a Bank" type of tricks.

Thank you so much!! She's just a female friend. What you said gave me an interesting idea. So I do the no tear newspaper and I read the funny head lines and then I restore the newspaper then I say when I do this the letters can tend to get mixed up and them I attach letters that spell out her name and them "prom?". I'd like your opinion on this! Thanks again!

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
That’s a really good idea! I like the presentation and patter and it’s fun and unique. I’m not sure of the angles on that but just do the usual practice and you should be fine! Good luck :)

Feb 11, 2018
I could teach you how to make flowers so you can make a boquet of flowers to present to her. Then she can keep them forever.

Dec 5, 2014
I used French Kiss by Wayne Houchin for a proposal!

Instead of a signature, I wrote "prom" on the card that switches w/ her card.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results