Deceptive Practice movie thoughts

Oct 23, 2014
In honor of Ricky Jay, I made my wife watch the documentary about him that was released a few years back: Deceptive Practice. From a filmmaking perspective, it's an incredibly well-done documentary that succeeds better than most at making its subject (Ricky Jay and the world of conjuring) universally accessible and interesting. From a magic standpoint it’s such a treat to get an inside look at someone, probably one of the last living people, who studied under the greats like Vernon and Miller. Ricky Jay was such a treasure trove of knowledge and certainly a generational bridge to the golden age of sleight of hand. If you haven’t already, you should definitely check it out. I bought it on iTunes, but you can rent it there and other places. Here are a few thoughts I had while watching:

Community. It’s funny because in the information age we’re “more connected” than ever. But in reality I find the opposite to be true. Sure, we can now connect to people all around the world, but I personally find myself less connected in meaningful ways than it seems people were before the internet. It seems like the newest generations in magic are being raised in isolation, learning from downloads, dvds, and books. It’s very difficult in todays world to build a real community around magic. I was actually just listening to Derek Del Gaudio’s episode on Magical Thinking, and he echoes the same thoughts. And because we’re all working in isolation, it’s very hard to progress and move forward, not just personally but as an art form.

Secrecy. Ricky Jay probably hated everything about the YouTube magic generation. He played stuff so close to his chest that Michael Weber, who worked with him for 30 years, didn’t know all of Ricky’s secrets. He wanted people to earn it. But then again, that goes back to the community issue. If you don’t have people you grow to know, then there’s no chance to earn anything.

History. Jay mentioned that he started looking through really old conjuring texts looking for material that he could make new again. I love this idea, and I wish I had the skills to pull it off. Maybe one day.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
In honor of Ricky Jay, I made my wife watch the documentary about him that was released a few years back: Deceptive Practice.

Highly recommended.

Community. It’s funny because in the information age we’re “more connected” than ever. But in reality I find the opposite to be true. Sure, we can now connect to people all around the world, but I personally find myself less connected in meaningful ways than it seems people were before the internet. It seems like the newest generations in magic are being raised in isolation, learning from downloads, dvds, and books. It’s very difficult in todays world to build a real community around magic. I was actually just listening to Derek Del Gaudio’s episode on Magical Thinking, and he echoes the same thoughts. And because we’re all working in isolation, it’s very hard to progress and move forward, not just personally but as an art form.

I don't know. I don't think it's so simple, personally.

The internet is responsible for all of my relationships in magic. My job as well. I've found several communities of like minded folks that I would never have met without the forums. Without those connections I would 100% not be where I am now.

Secrecy. Ricky Jay probably hated everything about the YouTube magic generation. He played stuff so close to his chest that Michael Weber, who worked with him for 30 years, didn’t know all of Ricky’s secrets. He wanted people to earn it. But then again, that goes back to the community issue. If you don’t have people you grow to know, then there’s no chance to earn anything.

I agree. He hated seeing material stolen and that's really what exposure does. The way magic is learned these days has changed. The barrier to entry is pushed back. It used to be you had to 'get in' with folks before you could learn anything significant. Now you can learn a huge amount of magic without ever speaking to another magician - but you still have to develop connections to get to the really interesting stuff.

History. Jay mentioned that he started looking through really old conjuring texts looking for material that he could make new again. I love this idea, and I wish I had the skills to pull it off. Maybe one day.

Start reading! I've been focusing on classic texts lately. Recently read through the Books of Wonder which have really great advice on how to develop unique and interesting material.

Sep 29, 2018
you had to 'get in' with folks before you could learn anything significant.
So...people who have no magicians near them, nor do they have magic shops near the, and NOR do they have any idea that things like 'magic books' do exist, they shouldn't deserve to be a magician?

Sep 29, 2018
Re-read my post. You clearly misunderstood what I was saying.
Hmm...probably...I mean, you did support the internet saying that it helps one for relations, but then MAYBE you are talking about the magic exposure on YT and internet, maybe...I thought so because magic isn't really ''exposed'' anywhere else.

I might have misunderstood...sorry :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It used to be you had to 'get in'

Emphasis added since you're clearly still missing the point.

The magic industry has changed dramatically in the past couple/few decades. 30/40 years ago, you had to develop relationships with other magicians to have access to anything other than basic resources. Those more advanced resources just weren't available unless someone told you where to get them. These days anyone can find books and videos and learn more material than they can hope to perform in a lifetime without ever even talking to another magician.

So yes, lots of people can learn magic now and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Probably neither, on the balance. But I also think it has essentially created a category between "magician" and "laymen". People who know sleight of hand and other techniques, but lack any understanding of what makes magic magical.

It's easy to think that all magic knowledge is now openly available to anyone who's willing to buy it - but that's also not the case. There are still groups that won't even make themselves known unless you essentially prove yourself to them. They have to know one is trustworthy before even letting that person know they exist. And in those groups are still exclusive releases and chats and such.

That's what I mean when I say the 'barrier to entry has been pushed back' - It's no longer right up front. Now you can wander around in the metaphorical lobby of the house of magic for years before actually being allowed entry to any of the rooms.

Dec 31, 2018
A few things I wanted to add.
Ricky's books are sooooo expensive, that it's prohibitive for most of us to afford them.

Lastly, that ice block trick he did for the reporter (where he brings a full block of ice at a window seat from a non pre arranged table) is amazing.

Reactions: Vzayy

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I got Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women for around $30 I think. Just check the various book sites periodically. Cards as Weapons is usually pretty expensive, though.

Reactions: Vzayy
Oct 19, 2015
One aspect of 'relationships' at a professional or personal level that seldom is discussed today is the negative impact technology has had on building these relationships. From my perspective technology today is a 'double edged sword'. It does make connecting with people better then ever before, but you lose key primary elements of human communications such as body language, voice tone and pitch variances, touch, etc. Granted some of this can be passed on via visual technologies where you talk to someone you can see, but even then much of the direct communications is filtered or lost all together. Bottom line, lack of this face to face communications at least slows a close Professional or Personal relationship and in many cases, it is just not possible using only technology.

From my experience in international management, if you want to build a mentoring relationship you will do whatever it takes, to meet with them, face to face as often as you can. In that way, the relationship has the potential to be optimal and long-term! I suggest that great leaders and great magicians, have had such a relationship with a mentor, at some point in their career!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results