Magic is pointless.

Aug 28, 2017
So, no I am not saying magic is pointless, not in the way you think. All magicians argue over "magic theory" and how we should perform certain pieces. These are all important. Even the most subatomic details are imperative to a good show. But you know what will ruin a performance for the spectator? If YOU don't believe it. I can't tell you how many times I performed good, fooling, tricks but really didn't want to perform magic. They were freaked out, but not amazed.

I think that as magicians we try to be the next Ed Marlo, but forget why we should be performing. Ultimately those are two reasons: 1) The spectator. 2) Ourselves.

The thing is #1 cannot be satisfied without #2 being ready to do its job.

I have been away from magic for 6+ months. I'll be honest, it is really refreshing. I loved it at first but began to hate it after a while. I went off on my own to discover God (Christianity) and realized my trouble with magic. In discovering my faith, I researched much Theology without praying NEARLY as much as I should've. It hurt my faith and my love for God. As Magicians, we do this so often. We sit in the mirror, read books, watch videos, but we don't perform; Not the way we should be performing. That is to remember to have fun guys. I encourage y'all to go out and have some fun performing.

If you want to email me about anything my email is jacobisamazing01@gmail.com,
Have fun, love you guys.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Great post! I think adding something to your act that comes from your own personal life will enhance your love of the performance. That really shows when you are performing. For me it is my wife, daughter, doctor who, pokemon, and vintage music that adds my own unique touch to my magic. The audience can see that I am having fun and therefore they will have fun too!

Reactions: docholiday360

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I think when "we" as magicians stop having fun and the excitement has diminished...then it is time to step away for a bit. Magic will always be here. Life comes in phases. Sometimes magic gets put on the back burner due to family, life, etc. but it will always be right there waiting to be picked up again.

I am in a unique scenario that not only do I perform a lot of paid gigs, but I am also an elementary teacher of 19 years and perform effects for my students each and every Friday. Just this past Friday I performed Diamonds are Forever which to me seemed super simple and not that impressive, but we often forget that laymen don't tend to know about cards that look like that and that they don't really care about method...they just want to have fun and witness something magical! These kids were SO SO excited. It brought a huge smile to my face the rest of the day knowing I was able to give that moment to them.

Sep 29, 2018
When I believe I have read someone's pulse to find out what their card is, they freak out.

When I don't believe the card automatically turned over in the deck, they don't. (or maybe that's just my performance inefficiencies...regardless...)

I guess it is weird how one first needs to believe in something themselves before making others believe the same.

And it's even weirder how the above fact is what people have the most trouble with...

Love the post! While I'm not religious, I often see people posting about how things should be done and harping on others out performing because "not doing it right" (I'm sorry, but the right way is the way that works for the performers style!).

Getting out and performing can be so hard for many people, putting yourself out there for strangers without knowing the outcome. I know how hard that can be, especially since many magicians weren't overly popular as kids or are very shy/introverted.

All I can say is "You can do it!" If you want to practice performing in front of people, volunteer to do some stuff at a local elderly residence. They appreciate it so much, and don't notice things if you mess up usually. Can really help boost your confidence with people all while making some others feel amazing too.

Everhart and O'Brien tossed around some good advice. When I got into magic, it was at a troublesome time. I recall when I joined, nearly everyone I came in contact with was atheists or agnostics. But I found it to be odd. I did the research and really read the bible to see what it said and what it didn't say. As it turned out, I became a Christian Apologist (a defender of the faith). I am always ready to give an answer for the faith that I have.

As far as the magic was concerned, I had to answer a question that was asked to be by my mentor, Morgan Strebler. He asked, "Who are you?" Of course, being cocky and stuff. I started telling him who I was. He didn't reply with anything different. He just said, "Who are you?" He would ask me this question for years. Each time, I'm having an answer for it. I guess it wasn't what he was looking for. He continued to ask it.

What he wanted me to do was find out who I was as a person. What interests me? What is my style? I was trying to do whatever the latest trick that came out. I was turning into a vending machine of magic tricks. But I hadn't yet define who I was.

Just take a look at my photo. All black. Techwear type of thing. The hachimaki (bandana). That was all me finding who I was. That's a staple in what I do. Therefore when you see certain videos of mine, you will see this sort of thing I sprinkled in there. I was also into superheroes. That played a part into how I marketed myself. I had to really dig in to see the guy I am. Therefore, that dictated the magic that I did. I did it all at one point. Street Magic, sideshow, mentalism, and now hypnosis. That even transformed into mixing both hypnosis and magic.

Why is that important? Because it was my love for superheroes and actually me trying to mimic a sort of backstory of a superhero (highly inspired by Charles Xavier and Killgrave), that is where my style blossomed.

I said all that to say that the magic starts in you, the magician. Fall in love with yourself and then project yourself with your magic. And in the end, you will find not only a new appreciation for magic, but you will find the path you are meant to take.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results