Best Pass

Mar 11, 2019
Basically I’m looking for a pass that isn’t the classic pass, Herman pass, invisible pass, basically any pass that exists cause apparently I need to invent my own pass. Every pass is way too difficult. My hands are too small for the classic pass. My pinky is too weak and I drop the cards, the cards get stuck on the other pack of cards or my hand and I’m just genuinely sick and tired of trying to learn these passes. No, I’m not a new magician I just absolutely hate the angles (this is honestly why I don’t see it being worth the years it takes to learn because it’s EXTREMELY situational because of the angles) and how difficult these passes are to do. For me it’s a real gamble whenever I try to do these passes even after YEARS of trying to master them. Sorry if I come off angry cause I 100% am lmao. I’ve gotten absolutely zero results after all the years I’ve tried to learn this although I have put it down for a bit and came back to it a couple times. Anyway I appreciate the feedback :)

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Being successful at those moves has lots to do with when you do the move rather than those moves being invisible, invisible/smoothness is just a fail safe. Do the dirty work outside of what you frame.

How long have you been doing magic? I know you said "years" but "getting zero results" after years is not common...probably hyperbole? I mean look at Mahdi Gilbert and rethink your situation?

I ask because I used to think my hands were too small for cards (size medium mens glove) but after a year or two of messing around with cards many of the one handed flourishes and cuts I used to think were too tough because of hand size I was able to accomplish. Your hands will gain strength and flexibility if you practice but if there is an actual physical limitation that can't be overcome by normal means there are other avenues.

I am not saying you have to reinvent things like Gilbert has done but you can try tricks that are not using the more difficult sleight of hand while you training your hands to earn other things. You can use less difficult moves like the double undercut, specialty decks, or self working tricks and so on. There is also other things besides cards, you can try out coins for instance.

Mar 11, 2019
Definitely a hyperbole lol just frustrated with the moves. I have made progress it’s just been little progress. I do definitely take long breaks from practicing the moves as I don’t normally use them in many of my routines but it’s something I’d like to be able to do consistently at some point. I’ll practice for a week or two then leave it be for a month or so before I come back to it so maybe the long breaks in between Have something to do with it. I think my problem is I compare the move to many other flourishes and moves that I can nail in a month or two but I just can’t get this one consistently down. Oh and I’ve been doing magic for 4 years now and in total have been practicing this move for maybe a year and a half now. Thank you for the reply as well I appreciate it

Jan 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Basically I’m looking for a pass that isn’t the classic pass, Herman pass, invisible pass, basically any pass that exists cause apparently I need to invent my own pass. Every pass is way too difficult. My hands are too small for the classic pass. My pinky is too weak and I drop the cards, the cards get stuck on the other pack of cards or my hand and I’m just genuinely sick and tired of trying to learn these passes. No, I’m not a new magician I just absolutely hate the angles (this is honestly why I don’t see it being worth the years it takes to learn because it’s EXTREMELY situational because of the angles) and how difficult these passes are to do. For me it’s a real gamble whenever I try to do these passes even after YEARS of trying to master them. Sorry if I come off angry cause I 100% am lmao. I’ve gotten absolutely zero results after all the years I’ve tried to learn this although I have put it down for a bit and came back to it a couple times. Anyway I appreciate the feedback :)
The classic pass is going to take a lot of muscle development in your hands to be able to do it fast/consistently and while you should know the basics and put the time into mastering it, I personally don't believe it's the best pass and I rarely use the classic pass in any performance even though I have it at a workable place.
You should check out the spread pass and turnover pass, both are simpler alternatives and though more angle sensitive, both are more invisible when executed well. I found that the spread pass doesn't have to be particularly executed well to fly by most spectators (though don't use that as an excuse for a half-assed spread pass) and a slight flash flies by most people. With these passes, it's more about audience management rather than speed and sleight of hand (as are most moves).

Reactions: JoshL8 and DDMagic

Stratego

Elite Member
May 18, 2017
There are a lot of controls that aren't passes and that can be performed by anyone with any size of hand. Center double, dmd spread control, simple double lift, venus trap and other clever moves. I use the passe when I'm lazy and when I feel the audience is not burning my hands, but if they just want to catch me doing a sleight of hand I will prefer some turnover controls for exemple.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results