Soft Coins

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Where do proffesionals get soft coins? soft being coins that dont talk much because they have been used. I only have newer coins. I am thinking of getting a schoolcraft shell set that is soft. That is the only place I know where you can get soft coins. Any help?

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Try coin dealers (the collectors shops). Ask for what they call "slicks".

You can get some pretty good coins for cheap from there.

Also, you can buy batches of them off e-bay, for a decent price.

Splurging for a shell set can get expensive, especially if all you want are soft coins. Personally, I've never used them and never had a need for my coins to be soft.

Scott.

tkh so your clear on what it is... a soft coin is merely a coin where the minting has aged and become flat and the images have little definition left. personally i buy todd lassens gaffs, but any of the other guys are good too, just make sure to tell either jamie or todd that you want soft, don;t just order from the site, i did that with jamie and mine were not nerely as soft as i would have wanted

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
You can also make your own soft coins by using wet sandpaper. Put some water on the sand paper (make sure you use the softer grade) and then place it on a flat surface (sandpaper side up of course). Then you take the coin you want to soften and rub the face of it on the sandpaper until it's smooth. I used this technique on my 1964 Kennedys and it worked beautifully.

Sep 1, 2007
Coins that have been used for a while are normally smoother. If you have a routine that you would like the coins to be quiet on, cover one side in clear tape and cut around the edges. The coins won't make anymore noice

Sep 1, 2007
At the moment I have both a Lassen and a Schoolcraft expanded shell set on the way.
The School Craft is a non soft set and the Lassen a soft one.
When they arrive I can give you some feedback on which gaff is better made.
I can tell you right now tho that Schoolcraft's gaff is about $100 cheaper. It could be that that reflects the quality of the worker, but we'll have to wait and see.

Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas
A tip that will save you some money...some coin dealers know it's a magician coming in and the price will jump, as we seem to be the only ones interested in used, soft coins, and knowing that we'll pay top dollar for magic...so what I do is this: I visit a dealer with one of my soft coins that I would like to match..."How much is this worth?" Dealer: "10 bucks" Me: "Great, I'll take five then..."
BUT, there's a coin dealer here in Vegas who I've developed a relationship with and sets aside coins for me that he knows I'm looking for...that's really the best way...
Stu

Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas
If one takes a bleach pen and coats the coin...it'll turn black. Then buff with a finishing grade steel wool...Then you can match coins and shells and their finishes.
Stu Beck
Las Vegas, NV

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results