Are "Science" Presentations Still Magic?

Sep 23, 2012
Hey all!
So I've been thinking about different ways of presenting magic: I was performing Micro Psychic earlier this week (I just got it) and I presented the bolt as a "fidget toy that I found in my school's maker space." When asked about it, I mentioned static electricity and made the nut spin off the bolt. Because I said it was just static electricity, at that point, is it still a magic effect?

I don't pretend to have PK powers (though sometimes I wish I did...) so most of my PK-style effects I present as static electricity (haunted deck, floating bill, etc). Some of these are more clearly tricks than science experiments (levitations, really), but when the spectator believes that it's something they could try at home, when does it stop being magic and become just a cool science experiment?

Just though I'd hear some other magicians' thoughts on the matter! :D

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Technically everything we do is science. Lol we cannot really do magic so we are using science to manipulate the way people perceive reality right? Now the question is, what is the reality you wish to perceive? If your shtick is doing cool “science” tricks that they cannot replicate then IMO it is magic. Especially if you then let them try it afterwards and they can’t do it.

Reminds me of that little gimmick with the rubber band, tube, and hook (very old trick found in most magic kits) where you “attach the hook” onto the rubber band from the inside then hand it to them and they cannot do it. That would be more along the lines of what you are presenting I think. But again, IMO it is still magic even though it is being presented as interesting physics.

Sep 23, 2012
Interesting! Thanks so much for the responses! There have been times where it discredited me (for lack of a better word) as a magician and I got the "cool, thanks for showing me that" response, rather than a more typical magic reaction.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Interesting! Thanks so much for the responses! There have been times where it discredited me (for lack of a better word) as a magician and I got the "cool, thanks for showing me that" response, rather than a more typical magic reaction.

It may just be because you have fooled them so much that they believe it is as simple as static electricity. I would take a “eh that’s cool I guess” as a compliment in this situation because you really fooled them big time.

Now, if your goal is to get people reacting as if it were an incredible magic trick, I would suggest not relying to heavily on the science experiment patter. Or if you do, it needs to borderline plausiblity. What I mean is they need to doubt it is real but still believe it may be possible, similar to how mentalists will make people wonder if esp really is a thing.

Mar 24, 2019
Idaho
Technically everything we do is science. Lol we cannot really do magic so we are using science to manipulate the way people perceive reality right? Now the question is, what is the reality you wish to perceive? If your shtick is doing cool “science” tricks that they cannot replicate then IMO it is magic. Especially if you then let them try it afterwards and they can’t do it.

Reminds me of that little gimmick with the rubber band, tube, and hook (very old trick found in most magic kits) where you “attach the hook” onto the rubber band from the inside then hand it to them and they cannot do it. That would be more along the lines of what you are presenting I think. But again, IMO it is still magic even though it is being presented as interesting physics.

Nailed it perfectly..

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The best magic is that where the audience lowers it resistance to the impossible. Try this, talk about natural phenomena but give yourself credit for harnessing it. That is half way between a scientific explanation and true magic. Wouldn't it be cool to see a performance by someone who can manipulate energy?

Reactions: Lord_Magic
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results