Have you ever fooled a magician with a double lift? What do you think is the best double lift?

Most important skill in card magic?

• Total voters
Jan 2, 2016
California
I think the best double lift is all down to personal preference. It's whatever works/looks best for your purposes.
I think the most important quality of a good double lift is consistency between your doubles and singles so that the two are indistinguishable. If you flip over a single card normally but then do a Derek Dingle double (which I believe is the one David Blaine does), people will notice something's off and might call you out on it, even if the double is super clean.

Sep 10, 2017
I guess the best double lift is what is most suitable in a specific situation. The ones that I use most frequently, are the push off, Vernon’s Push off, Stuart Gordon and Derek Dingle’s double lift. But depending on the quality of the deck, the type of presentation and performance, and the grip I need on the cards afterwards, I might prefer one over the other.

May 3, 2018
I perform a version of a push off double. I believe the cleanest doubles are the ones that just look like you're flipping over a card normally.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Antonio Diavolo is 100% correct. The "David Blaine double lift" is actually Derek Dingle/Steve Draun's double turnover. Derek Dingle did it with a break and Draun figured out a way to do it from a push off.

At least when it comes to fooling magicians, self-working tricks usually work much better than sleight intensive ones.

Yeah, if you want to fool a magician my best advice is to avoid any sleight of hand at all. There are very few exceptions to that rule.

Feb 25, 2018
I haven’t been doing many double lifts lately and starting to do more top and bottom changes. A lot of people are familiar with a double. Not so much with a invisible card switch.

Apr 3, 2019
I'd do Andi Gladwin's push off double. But, if you want something more surefire, you can use Dai Vernon's methed to achieve the same effect with a break, which I believe he goes over in Stars of Magic. However, you can steamroll all of that with a lucid presentation. If you dont know what I mean, check out Chris Pratt's trick on Graham Norton. He cant do a riffle shuffle, but his performance was one of the best I've ever seen.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results