Pick Pocketing

C J

Nov 29, 2017
I have been doing a trick for a year now where I do a coin trick while pickpocketing a spectators phone so that a moment later I can make it look like the coin transformed into the phone. I love this trick and it always gets awesome reactions. I want to incorporate it into my stage show however I would like to know how ethical it would be. For close up its fine however for the stage show the phone would end up hanging from the ceiling. This is obviously different from taking it for 10 seconds. It would be away from them for about 3 minutes. Is this ethically right or should I look for alternatives for stage.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't think it's ethically wrong, but do be aware that any time you use something valuable from an audience member (particularly if they're not explicitly agreeing to using said item) you're opening yourself to a potential for someone to be a jack***.

I've heard horror stories. Audience members who claimed a magician swapped a ring for a less expensive one, one magician who actually broke a Rolex and had to pay to repair it (more than the show fee), etc etc.

Personally any time I use a borrowed item that may have any value I refuse to let it out of sight for even a moment, and if possible I don't even touch it.

Stratego

Elite Member
May 18, 2017
You also have to be sure the guy isn't checking his phone like every minute or you will end up with someone screaming "someone stole my phone" before you make it reappear.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results