Origin of the four jack trick

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
So if you know me you know I constantly do a variation on the classic “4 jacks rob a bank” trick. But to be honest...

I don’t know much about it. Can anyone help me? Like who made it? When? More resources for it?
For reference:

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So if you know me you know I constantly do a variation on the classic “4 jacks rob a bank” trick. But to be honest...

I don’t know much about it. Can anyone help me? Like who made it? When? More resources for it?

The first version I can find that uses jacks and the robber's plot is in Hugard's Card Manipulations #1 (the standard version and an alternative version using rubber bands around the deck) in 1933. I doubt Hugard was the inventor of the effect but merely published it. There was a variation in More Card Manipulations in 1938. I think the general plot may go back to Hoffman's Modern Magic in 1876 and his Tricks with Cards in 1889. Brother John Hamman has a version that ends in a card to wallet.

Reactions: 010rusty

010rusty

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2016
LA (Lower Alabama)
The first version I can find that uses jacks and the robber's plot is in Hugard's Card Manipulations #1 (the standard version and an alternative version using rubber bands around the deck) in 1933. I doubt Hugard was the inventor of the effect but merely published it. There was a variation in More Card Manipulations in 1938. I think the general plot may go back to Hoffman's Modern Magic in 1876 and his Tricks with Cards in 1889. Brother John Hamman has a version that ends in a card to wallet.
I almost just sent you a PM asking, because I knew you’d be there for me. thank you!

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results