Name your favorite lecture

Nov 13, 2017
I've had no luck in buying these things.just bought an at the table lecture it sounded good. All i cared about if the guy wasn't hard to understand. And holy frick.he didn't even speak english ! Had a damn translator.what luck i have in buying lectures. Anyone have any favorites ?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Its hard to pick a favorite for me since some lectures cover some aspects better than others. I guess it depends what you want from the lecture....just discussing live at the table lectures here;

Kainoa Harbottle's last couple of lectures are pretty good. Either of his last 2 are decent and they cover some similar stuff with a few exceptions. I generally like his coin routines and his teaching is clear, probably because he has a background in teaching. Eric Jones lecture was pretty good in my opinion too although I don't like his copper silver in this lecture he does explains stuff VERY well.

Kostya Kimlat's lecture was amazing for me, hardly any tricks but just full of GREAT advice and theory. How he recommends sorting your tricks helped me lots. Garret Thomas also has a decent lecture with some interesting thoughts and some okay tricks. He also suggests a way to group your tricks that will help you when performing for people thats something to think about.

Gregory Wilsons lecture was great because he is just good to watch when he performs and there is a variety of magic in this lecture. He also explains things reasonably well and discusses theory. Live performances are fun, he pickpockets and does some balls over head at the end. They also go over some previously recorded performances with mistakes and critiques them. Pretty solid lecture.

Daniel Garcia's lecture has some good effects and he has some fun with the audience. His thinking is pretty cool and he has a variety of effects, cards money pens/straws, rubber bands, cards...some jazz magic happens and they discuss how he could have made something better, power of hindsight.

Karl Heinsteins has lots of card tricks if thats something you like but only cards and some shuffle/cut work. Some advice too but mainly tricks.

Kozmo and Chris Randall have good busking advice. I really like how Chris rounds up his audience and lets them know what to expect in a way that keeps them there till the end. Both their lectures also have an okay amount of tricks but nothing too amazing.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Wayne Houchin's live lecture was awesome - he taught some tricks but his philosophy behind how he creates was inspiring.

Shoot Ogawa's work is, quite possibly, more beautiful from "behind the scenes", and he's very inspiring.

I think Kozmo's live lecture was one of the first I ever saw and that man knows busking inside and out.

Shawn Farquhar's has stuck with me a long time. That man is one of the genuinely nicest people I've ever met, and his love of magic shines through everything he does. Also, I was his volunteer for his version of Omni Deck and I didn't see a thing.

For online lectures - I only have some from Penguin. Peter Turner's got some good advice for mentalists, but you have to kind of read between the lines sometimes - He's a natural at his style, and because of that he can't always communicate the intricacies. Derren Brown's gives you insight to his path, but there's no tricks (which I don't mind). Rob Zabrecky's is delightfully odd and full of theatrical advice.

Mar 1, 2018
My favourite lecture is Jason Ladanye at the table. He teaches very powerful card tricks and also talks about developing a character and stuff like that. I definbitely recommend it.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I'm going to go with the only live lecture I've ever attended and that was Wayne Houchin's lecture quite a few years ago. Not many magicians come to the southern part of South Carolina, and I haven't been to any magic conventions, so his lecture in Myrtle Beach was the only one I've been to. It was phenomenal. Such a great guy, and the magic he was teaching and the theory he was presenting was all superb.

Reactions: Mrmagic727
Nov 13, 2017
I'm going to go with the only live lecture I've ever attended and that was Wayne Houchin's lecture quite a few years ago. Not many magicians come to the southern part of South Carolina, and I haven't been to any magic conventions, so his lecture in Myrtle Beach was the only one I've been to. It was phenomenal. Such a great guy, and the magic he was teaching and the theory he was presenting was all superb.

Does wayne h ever teach that 4 card restoration.where he takes a card tears it in 4 pieces and restores it .i.in his lectures ? Or are they more simple tricks.i know menny lindenfield is great but in his lectures.hes teaching silly tricks.like blowing up a thumb tac haha and puting a real thumb tic in your mouth isnt safe at all ! To teach this to minors is crazy

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I saw Shawn Farquhar's lecture last year I believe. @ChristopherT is bang on with his thoughts on the man.
I learned a lot from him and his stories behind some of his tricks was hysterical! I still have the souvenir from one of his routines. Nicest guy I've ever met.
I bought Dan Sperry's lecture a long time ago. It was awesome, if you're into dove magic.

Nov 13, 2017
Any less famous magician lectures that you guy's recommend ? I know Shawn and waynes lectures sound great ! What about less famous magicians out there.there are so many out there.in live at the tables .. And nobody says anything about them

CoreyHarris

Elite Member
May 5, 2018
Kansas City, MO
I can only recommend lectures that I have seen in person. Dan Harlan, Michael Ammar, Nathan Kranzo, Josh Jay, Andi Gladwin and my bro Jason Dean. I loved all of their live lectures.

zombieripper

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2013
I like the included lecture from the book: "The Art of Switching Decks" by Roberto Giobbi. The DVD was a bonus supplement to the release. The video was recorded at a Genii convention for a private collection, so the quality isn't great, but the 90 minutes of performance/lecture perfectly complements the information in the book, and is invaluable to anyone interested in the subject matter. I highly recommend!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Houchin's lecture was great, but his show was better. I did a workshop with Jeff McBride and a workshop with Dani DaOrtiz. Both were was amazing. Greg Wilson's lecture was a lot of fun. Shoot Ogawa was great (I should have bought the gold Ninja Rings...). Aaron Fisher was hilarious - he took almost an hour to teach a single effect because he kept telling stories and jokes. Woody Aragon had some great stuff (and the fact that we almost look like brothers - I have to find that picture). There was a German mentalist... I can't remember his name, but the material he taught was amazing and had me up on stage as his student to teach how to do a billet switch. I'm sure there are so many more that I'm forgetting.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results