The nerves won today and I hate myself

Jun 15, 2019
Ill get right to it. I performed a few shows two years ago that actually went surprisingly well. I’ve been doing magic for about 5 years now.

Anyways I took a break from performing the last year and a half but I offered to do a walk around gig for free for a pizza place.

I got there and just got completely overwhelmed with anxiety and talked myself out of it so I made an excuse and left. Idk what my issue is, my moves are solid, I’ve done this before. How did I get so weak? Has this happened to anyone else? I know I sound like I sound like I shouldn’t be in magic at all, but I’ve done this before so what in the world is going on?!

Reactions: Anonymous user

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It's like saying, "I ran a bunch of half marathons a couple of years ago, and yesterday when I tried to run a 5K I had to stop after the first mile."

You can't expect to perform if you don't practice.

Practice isn't just learning the moves and the presentation. It is convincing yourself that you know the moves and presentation. Nervousness is a fear that you are going to fail. Practice and rehearse until you know you will not fail. Then start more slowly. Perform one trick at a time for one person at a time. Build your successes until you've convinced yourself you will always succeed.

Jun 15, 2019
It's like saying, "I ran a bunch of half marathons a couple of years ago, and yesterday when I tried to run a 5K I had to stop after the first mile."

You can't expect to perform if you don't practice.

Practice isn't just learning the moves and the presentation. It is convincing yourself that you know the moves and presentation. Nervousness is a fear that you are going to fail. Practice and rehearse until you know you will not fail. Then start more slowly. Perform one trick at a time for one person at a time. Build your successes until you've convinced yourself you will always succeed.
Thank you. The exact real non sugar coated response I was looking for. I’ll do exactly that then take on another. Thank you for your advice and your exactly right.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I've had bad days like this.

I was asked to fill in for another magicians resteraunt good at one point. I got there and spoke to the manager, he wasn't told about me and didn't seem too stoked I was there. The resteraunt was basically empty. I ended up leaving without doing any magic. It just didn't feel good to be there.

Maybe I could have turned it around, but I didn't.

There will be other places to do your magic.

I have a great residency right now. It's an exclusive resort. Most magicians would kill to have this kind of a job. I have many days when I go to the bathroom to reset, and don't want to leave. It comes with the territory.

The good news is, when a trick doesn't work, or your approach is awkward you can work and get better with time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results