Beginning Restaurant Magic

Jan 3, 2019
I have recently gotten into restaurant close up magic and am wondering how to begin working for restaurants as an entertainer. Any help would be highly appreciated.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I don't have time right now to watch Michael's videos, but I will tell you here are a list of restaurant tips I have learned.

1.) Don't interrupt a table where two people seem to be in deep conversation, arguing, or simply just enjoying each
other's company. You can and will ruin the moment for them. I know because I've done it :)
2.) You will be asked to do all sorts of things from the guests such as but not limited to: can you please go get me a
steak knife, another coffee, etc. It happens and there are times where I just smile and say, "Let me quickly find
you the staff to do so and I will immediately walk to find the nearest waiter/waitress to suit their need.
Otherwise the mood at the table just gets awkward if you brush off their request and continue your magic. How
do I know? Been there done that and the entire attitude at the table shifted against me.
3.) Some people simply do NOT want to see magic while they are there. They just want to eat and leave and that's
okay. Don't "force" yourself on them. Ha Ha.
4.) Do NOT, I repeat, Do NOT brag to any of the staff what you are making financially from the establishment. It is
not their business. They will ask you because they are curious. You don't gain many friends by telling them you
are making $80 an hour compared to their measly $10 and trust me you want everyone who works their to like
you and be on your side.
5.) Carry LOTS and LOTS of business cards as you will be making many contacts via networking with the guests
and the work staff. I've been hired by many people who work at the restaurants because they see what I can do
and they want that at their personal parties and events outside of work. You will also book gigs with people who
come in to eat.
6.) If the restaurant will not pay you what you think you are worth, many times they will pay you,but then also give
you free meals at the restaurant as well. Don't be afraid to ask if this is something they would consider.

7.) You really don't need to be at the table for more than 2-3 effects because you have other tables to get to and if
you are holding up tables too long, the manager gets mad because that is less money is his pocket. Make sense?

I have plenty more info but this should help you tremendously for now. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results