How would you practice tricks, where the props are destroyed?

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
This is kind of a great question. Tricks like this or say Double Cross... how do you practice that? For the above, I've kinda used my daughter, but it's just ... off..

Apr 26, 2013
It depends upon what stage of practicing I am on, and to some extent the effect.

Early on with Voodoo specifically I used the same setup gimmicks and over and over as I practiced the handlings for it, mimicking some parts. And then when I would practice with people I treated it like a performance and would make up new sets for each instance. But I also paint miniature table war gaming figures so I am used to repetitive paint schemes across infantry models so making lots of gimmicks for the effect was not really different.

But Voodoo is going to be a bit different than practicing something like Double Cross where - I’m guessing there is a bit of a limited resource involved. There I would purchase enough refills and practice with the real thing. Some elements that “destroy” pieces can be mimicked - you only need to sign one playing card and can mime the signature each other time. But others you need to feel the handling and mimicking an element would cause you to do an action which wouldn’t be in the actually performance you are practicing. Take Contact for example. I had planned to practice it by using up one gimmick and then just “switching” out as needed. But i wasn’t happy with how the movements were being learned into my muscle memory.

Now I’m a bit more intentional in my purchases of props and effects requiring refills and don’t just purchase them for the newness factor. Instead I intend to use it, and use it often, so I’ll purchase a backup and extra refills when I can.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Part of practicing is the live performance as well. I suggest practicing the move up till the point it is destroyed. If you need to do a mercury fold for example use an old trashed deck. If it is something you need refills for that is expensive like “LIT” for example then practice with something else that works in a similar way.

Double cross will take a few live performances to get down before you can successfully hit it every time.

Reactions: CWhite
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results