My concerns with my Sword Swallowing. Please Help.

Nov 21, 2018
I learned hiw two swallow swords at Oddity U, two months ago. I'm really concerned about the idea of the blade scraping against my teeth as I pull the sword back up. I'm afraid I'll file down, crack or chip my upper front teeth while doing this. I underwent two years of orthodontic treatment. I don't want to damage anything on that regard. What's worse is that, I plan to get Veneers or Lumineers within a year or so. I wondered if there was anything I could wear over my teeth to keep them protected. I addressed this issue with my teacher, Harley Newman and he had this to say:

"I've never heard of wearing something. Teeth sometimes feel like they're in the way. The solution is to tilt your head just a little more. The other side of it is that sometimes you can use them as the fulcrum of a lever. The lever is whatever you're swallowing. So...two sides to it. I've never heard of anybody chipping teeth from swallowing."

I really don't want to have to give up sword swallowing just because of my concern with my teeth. I think that it is really awesome that I am able to even perform this stunt. Can anyone provide any input on this? Should this be a concern? is there anything I can do about it?

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
I know nothing about this subject whatsoever. But while I was read this I got the idea of using a retainer. I’m sure there in somewhere where you can get one custom made to be thick enough.

Jul 6, 2019
honestly as long as you manage to keep your teeth out of the way most of the time you should be ok, teeth are strong enough that a few light scrapes isn't going to hurt them as long as you aren't violently pulling on the sword (which would obviously cause other problems.) If the sword is scraping every time then you either need to adjust your technique or use a narrower blade.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results