Stooges and Camera Tricks

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I watch lots of magic shows. I especially love the shows on Netflix. Magic for Humans, the Carbonator Effect, and Death by Magic are my faves (I actually contributed a trick or two to the Road Trick with Adam Trent...not that it matters).

Many of these shows suffer from the same problems. Even when you look on trip advisor at live magic shows, (Matt Franco, Penn and Teller, or David Copperfield) they have similar issues.

Everyone thinks they use stooges, and camera tricks on TV. One reviewer insisted that Willman used bad CGI (I'm 95% sure it was a m*****) and I've seen people argue that the judges on AGT are in on it, or that they use CGI (check out captain disillusion for his theory...I'm pretty sure he's dead wrong).

Anyways, whether they are or aren't isn't the point.

How do we convince our audience that we are not using stooges or camera tricks? What could the pros do to prove their innocence?

Dec 24, 2018
you can never really convince everyone. there are the regular people who, when you perform a good trick, are in awe and who are willing to be convinced that magic is real, and then there are the hecklers. no matter how convincing, how clean, you are, there will always be that one person who looks past the magic and only sees a waste of money. the thing about most of these people, though, is that they dont know how you did it. and people are afraid of what they dont know, and because of that, they so one of two things: find out how its done, or take out all of their anger on the magician. you can make your magic tricks as fair as possible, there will still be those people who ruin the magic for everyone. the best piece of advice i have got for you is FORGET THE HECKLERS THEY ARE ONLY MEAN BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW HOW YOU DO YOUR TRICKS, BUT INSTEAD OF FOCUSSING ON THE HECKLERS, TRY YOUR BEST TO ENTERTAIN THOSE WHO WANT TO SEE YOUR MAGIC AND ARENT GOING TO RUIN THE FUN JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR INSECURITIES. thats the best i got and i hope it helps.♠️

side note, this is a great video for if and when you deal with hecklers

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I've seen people argue that the judges on AGT are in on it, or that they use CGI (check out captain disillusion for his theory...I'm pretty sure he's dead wrong).
I think it's possible that Captain Disillusion is partially right. Sometimes the camera's frame rate can capture some things that are meant to be so fast that it's invisible (flap cards, etc.). So I think it's totally possible that the producers had the footage edited over to make sure the trick wasn't revealed to millions of people. But you're right, a lot of people seem to think the trick was done entirely with camera tricks which is a shame.

you can never really convince everyone. there are the regular people who, when you perform a good trick, are in awe and who are willing to be convinced that magic is real, and then there are the hecklers. no matter how convincing, how clean, you are, there will always be that one person who looks past the magic and only sees a waste of money. the thing about most of these people, though, is that they dont know how you did it. and people are afraid of what they dont know, and because of that, they so one of two things: find out how its done, or take out all of their anger on the magician. you can make your magic tricks as fair as possible, there will still be those people who ruin the magic for everyone. the best piece of advice i have got for you is FORGET THE HECKLERS THEY ARE ONLY MEAN BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW HOW YOU DO YOUR TRICKS, BUT INSTEAD OF FOCUSSING ON THE HECKLERS, TRY YOUR BEST TO ENTERTAIN THOSE WHO WANT TO SEE YOUR MAGIC AND ARENT GOING TO RUIN THE FUN JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR INSECURITIES. thats the best i got and i hope it helps.♠️
I don't really know if I'd call these people hecklers. They aren't really saying this to magicians to their face. It's just skepticism that comes from the magician performing on TV or on a stage. I have nothing against stage magic or even magic on TV but neither of them are very personal forms of magic. If magic happens on TV, a number of things could be happening. Everyone could be in on it, it could be edited, straight up CGI could be used. There's a lot to be skeptical of. While a live stage show is a little bit more personal, a lot could be happening in a big budget stage setting. The stage could be hiding anything and the "volunteers" could very well be stooges. I think that's why people are skeptical.

I don't fully agree with your statements, as a lot of magicians aren't trying to convince anyone they are doing real magic (but to each his own). However, I do think you're right that you'll never be able to convince everyone. There's only so much you can do to try to convince your audience that it isn't staged, and even then there will still be skeptical people, although I do think they're in the minority. Even though a lot of comments on AGT and Fool Us videos will say it's edited, staged, or "fake" (whatever that means), I don't think that represents most of the people who watched those performances.

Although the issue of people saying it's stooges or editing seems exclusive to stage and TV magic, I think the overall issue is inherent to all types of magic. Even in a closeup setting, there are always people who will say or think something like, "It's up his sleeve", regardless of whether that makes sense for the trick or not. Obviously there are plenty of ways to reduce these suspicions, but no matter where or how you perform, there will always be someone who thinks they've got it figured it out, regardless of whether they're right or not. I think this applies to all types of entertainment as well. Although there are things you can do to be more likeable or entertaining, it won't ever apply to everyone, especially when you have larger audiences.

On Fool Us, Penn and Teller have said that you cannot use any sort of pre-show work or stooges to fool them and yet people still comment on Fool Us videos saying that performers are using stooges. Now as magicians, we know that P&T are fairly upstanding and honest magicians for the most part, so we know they're telling the truth when they say "no stooges". But to the audience, this could just be another lie they're using to fool them. That's not to say everyone thinks that way though.

Recently I did Wikitest on a friend of a friend (let's call him John because I can't remember what his name was) and some girls he was with. Hadn't met him until my friend was like "Hey Anthony, you should show my friends some magic". Anyway, once the trick was over, one of the girls asked John if we knew each other. John told them "No but before the trick he told me exactly what to say" or something along those lines. So he basically admitted to being a stooge even though that's not at all how the trick works. I got a lot of advice from people on the forums saying that from now on, I should confirm with them beforehand "Now we've never met before, right?" just so they can't backtrack on that statement later on. Even though this advice was given to me to prevent people from lying, I think confirming that you and your volunteer are strangers could be beneficial. However, this can only do so much. If you do that on stage or TV, a good chunk of the audience will believe you, but there will always be a few people who think you're outright lying.

Another method I've seen is to select a volunteer by throwing a ball behind your back and using whoever catches it as the volunteer. This basically eliminates the possibility that they're in on it since basically anyone could have caught it. This is a pretty fair way to pick someone completely random but I still don't think that would convince everyone in the audience.

I'm not sure, but I notice a lot of stage performers will rotate through people during their act. This seems like an obvious choice because you want as many people to get involved as possible but I think this also eliminates some doubt that people have of you using plants. Obviously you could still just have 10 different stooges in the audience to use, but I think people would generally be less skeptical if multiple volunteers are used throughout the act.

Anyway, as I said before, I have no issue with stage or TV magic whatsoever. There are plenty of stage acts I absolutely love. Obviously there is good and bad magic in both categories but I do think the issue of people yelling "Audience Plants!" and "CGI!" is something inherent to stage and TV magic. Both mediums aren't very personal for a majority of the audience, unless you're directly involved in some way, meaning that you are either the person being selected or know the person selected to come on stage, it's pretty easy to dismiss them as a plant because you have no idea what the magician had set up. And if you can't figure out the trick by any other method, it would make some sense to jump to the conclusion that they person selected as a volunteer was in on it.

I think this is especially true of magic on TV or YouTube. Stage magic still happens in the same room as you, so even if the volunteers are plants, the tricks are still happening in the same room as you. So you know it's "real" to some extent.
With video, not only do you not know any of the people in the video (most likely), but there's that barrier of watching it through a camera. There is a lot more that could be going on behind the scenes in a video that we don't see. The entire "audience" in the video could be in on it, it could be edited or cut in a certain way, it could be straight up CGI, or the angle might be hiding something essential to the trick.

I think the impersonal nature of TV (and to a lesser extent, stage) magic is the reason a lot of people have such a positive reaction to closeup. I think a lot of us have heard something along the lines of "Wow. I thought the magic on TV was good, but having it done to you is a whole different experience". From what I can tell, you'll never be able to convince everyone of anything. There will always be someone who will reject what you do for them and the best you can do is hope to entertain and amaze the majority of your audience.

But yeah, that's just my two cents based on my very limited experience performing so take it with a very small grain of salt.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

side note, this is a great video for if and when you deal with hecklers

I'm not sure how hecklers have to do with this. I'm pretty sure these are just normal people who are watching the magic and aren't convinced that there aren't stooges being used. They aren't being mean, they just haven't been convinced.

If we look at it through the lense of Juan Tamariz's Magic Way the audience is left with too many false solutions. I want to talk about what we can do to address these false solutions.

I'm a big fan of Chris Ramsay. I think he's talented and entertaining. I've talked about this video before and I think it's one of the worst videos on hecklers out there. Terrible advice. The last thing you want to do for a heckler is a double lift or a second deal. Even if they don't see it, they'll call you out, and you don't want to do a second deal under pressure like that.

If you have a heckler and you want to impress them, you need to do a self working fooler. My go to is View to a Skill by John Bannon but any self working fooler will work. This way you aren't ever doing anything under fire and they will still be blown away.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Everyone thinks they use stooges, and camera tricks on TV.

How do we convince our audience that we are not using stooges or camera tricks? What could the pros do to prove their innocence?

I think part of this is the idea that people watch a magic show to figure out how they did it. That idea is reinforced by The Masked Magician and even Penn & Teller's Fool Us. If you figure it out, you are smart. If not, you are fooled or maybe just a fool. Stooges and camera tricks (which have been used... cough... Criss Angel... cough) are the latest explanations. Magnets and strings used to be hot. Before that it was sleeves and trick decks.

So why do people think about the method. Part of it is they think that is the game. Part of it is that the magic focuses on what is being done which makes people try to figure out how it is being done. The way to avoid that is to engage their imagination, their intellect, their emotions with your presentation so they don't think about how you did it but focus on why you did it.

But yeah, that's just my two cents based on my very limited experience performing so take it with a very small grain of salt.

Probably worth more like $200. Well said. Unfortunately, I can only "like" it once.

If we look at it through the lense of Juan Tamariz's Magic Way the audience is left with too many false solutions. I want to talk about what we can do to address these false solutions.

The problem with Tamariz's theory is that it makes the audience think about the method and then realize that it is the wrong method. What do you think happens then? Yep. They think about other methods.

I'm a big fan of Chris Ramsay. I think he's talented and entertaining. I've talked about this video before and I think it's one of the worst videos on hecklers out there. Terrible advice.

I'm not a fan but agree the advice is terrible. Most hecklers are responding to the magicians performance. Hecklers are made (by magicians) and not born. If you get hecklers, examine your performance. If you give the impression that performing magic and knowing the secret makes you superior than the spectators, expect hecklers.

If you have a heckler and you want to impress them, you need to do a self working fooler. My go to is View to a Skill by John Bannon but any self working fooler will work. This way you aren't ever doing anything under fire and they will still be blown away.

I've found View to a Skill to be too long. If I get a spectator that is obsessed with methods, I prefer Steinmeyer's The Magician that Fools Himself.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The problem with Tamariz's theory is that it makes the audience think about the method and then realize that it is the wrong method. What do you think happens then? Yep. They think about other methods.

We've talked about this before. We agree on most things when it comes to magic theory and I don't think we'll ever meet eye to eye on this.

I've found View to a Skill to be too long. If I get a spectator that is obsessed with methods, I prefer Steinmeyer's The Magician that Fools Himself.

Fair enough, I love me some Steinmeyer magic :) Self-working is the way to go when you have a tough spectator and The Magician that Fools Himself is a GREAT trick to do. It has a "Here you do the magic!" feel to it which might match your mood if they have been controlling in any way. And, they are less likely to mess the trick up because, in presentation, it's them doing the trick. Why would they mess themselves up?

I kind of like the subtext of View to a Skill, "You could have watched a quick and fun piece but you kept challenging me. So, now you get this long and drawn out dealing trick." I also don't mind the game aspect of this effect, if they see it as a competition then let's play a game that just happens to be magical. It is completely fair and utterly astonishing as well, which I love.

I don't get a lot of hecklers but here and there I'll get a kid who has watched a lot of YouTube or a guy who has read a book or two. This is a fun trick to pull out for them but it especially works well for the guys who want to dictate the conditions, "Let me see the deck! Let me shuffle! I want to deal!" etc.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I think it's possible that Captain Disillusion is partially right. Sometimes the camera's frame rate can capture some things that are meant to be so fast that it's invisible (flap cards, etc.). So I think it's totally possible that the producers had the footage edited over to make sure the trick wasn't revealed to millions of people. But you're right, a lot of people seem to think the trick was done entirely with camera tricks which is a shame.

It's possible for sure. I actually don't think he used flaps either but we can talk privately if you want to hear my theories haha!

Even though a lot of comments on AGT and Fool Us videos will say it's edited, staged, or "fake" (whatever that means), I don't think that represents most of the people who watched those performances.

I remember talking to Rick Lax about the different reactions he got from people who watched an interactive trick and people who watched a trick with his "landlord" on Facebook. Basically all of the interactive trick comments would say something like, "It's all fake!", or "It's a set up!" The landlord comments would be like, "Oh man his landlord is an idiot!" or "He stuck it to the man good for him!" Even though, the guy posing as his landlord wasn't actually his landlord.

On Fool Us, Penn and Teller have said that you cannot use any sort of pre-show work or stooges to fool them and yet people still comment on Fool Us videos saying that performers are using stooges. Now as magicians, we know that P&T are fairly upstanding and honest magicians for the most part, so we know they're telling the truth when they say "no stooges". But to the audience, this could just be another lie they're using to fool them. That's not to say everyone thinks that way though.

Yeah, it's true some people are dumb about it even when it's pretty clear that they aren't in on it.

I actually think Penn and Teller do a fairly good job acknowledging that camera tricks and stooges could be used but we aren't using those things. Fool Us does a good job because it is Penn and Teller vs the magician on stage. If they were in on it it would ruin the premise AND they really don't act like they are in on it most of the time.

A while back I went on trip advisor and looked through the reviews of various magic shows searching for words like "stooge", "plant", "actor" etc. Penn and Teller had the least as far as I could tell. From what it sounds like, Penn has a big long monologue about how it would be stupid if they used actors and that only bozos do that kind of thing. Even then, a couple of reviewers mentioned the possibility that they may have used actors.

David Copperfield had by far the most comments about actors. Which makes sense. In the show, I saw last he used 2 or 3 actors in the audience as gags. Chris Kenner makes a cameo as a guy in the crowd, he admits that one guy has been rehearsing a trick with Copperfield, and there's another bit that I won't spoil. Many of the reviewers took these examples and assumed that everyone involved must have been an actor, even those who were chosen in the most random way possible.

It just goes to show how difficult it is to divorce your audience from such a convenient explanation.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Probably worth more like $200. Well said. Unfortunately, I can only "like" it once.
Thank You! That means a lot! :)

It's possible for sure. I actually don't think he used flaps either but we can talk privately if you want to hear my theories haha!

I wasn't necessarily saying Eric Chein used flaps but I've seen a few videos on instagram and YouTube where the camera very clearly shows the flap card working. I'd love to hear your theory though! I'll dm you in a bit.

I remember talking to Rick Lax about the different reactions he got from people who watched an interactive trick and people who watched a trick with his "landlord" on Facebook. Basically all of the interactive trick comments would say something like, "It's all fake!", or "It's a set up!" The landlord comments would be like, "Oh man his landlord is an idiot!" or "He stuck it to the man good for him!" Even though, the guy posing as his landlord wasn't actually his landlord.

Wait so people were saying his self working tricks were "fake" but thought his landlord one was legit? What? :D

I actually think Penn and Teller do a fairly good job acknowledging that camera tricks and stooges could be used but we aren't using those things. Fool Us does a good job because it is Penn and Teller vs the magician on stage. If they were in on it it would ruin the premise AND they really don't act like they are in on it most of the time.

A while back I went on trip advisor and looked through the reviews of various magic shows searching for words like "stooge", "plant", "actor" etc. Penn and Teller had the least as far as I could tell. From what it sounds like, Penn has a big long monologue about how it would be stupid if they used actors and that only bozos do that kind of thing. Even then, a couple of reviewers mentioned the possibility that they may have used actors.

I believe that Penn and Teller probably do the best job of being clear that they don't use stooges in their live shows, but the comments on their YouTube videos, especially Fool Us, contain tons of people saying "PLANTS! FAKE!" and whatnot.

Side note: I'm in the same boat where I like Chris Ramsay to some extent but I think that heckler video is pretty awful.
I prefer to just try to get the heckler on my side and if they continue to be an @$$ after that, I'll just stop performing for them. But I've only had to resort to that second option like twice. Usually I can think of some sort of trick that they might enjoy.

Reactions: RealityOne

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Wait so people were saying his self working tricks were "fake" but thought his landlord one was legit? What? :D

Yeah, weird huh? Self-working magic tricks where you are the participant are fake...but the videos with the fake landlord are clever and real? Go figure.

I believe that Penn and Teller probably do the best job of being clear that they don't use stooges in their live shows, but the comments on their YouTube videos, especially Fool Us, contain tons of people saying "PLANTS! FAKE!" and whatnot.

That may be so, but I think you less on Fool Us then you might see on the Carbonaro effect or Magic for Humans.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Yeah, weird huh? Self-working magic tricks where you are the participant are fake...but the videos with the fake landlord are clever and real? Go figure.

That may be so, but I think you less on Fool Us then you might see on the Carbonaro effect or Magic for Humans.
I've never understood the people who comment "fake" on magic videos. Like do you mean it's not real magic? Because yeah, obviously it isn't. Or did you mean it's like camera tricks/stooges? Do you think the magician is lying? What does fake mean!

Jul 6, 2019
Everyone thinks they use stooges, and camera tricks on TV. One reviewer insisted that Willman used bad CGI (I'm 95% sure it was a m*****) and I've seen people argue that the judges on AGT are in on it, or that they use CGI (check out captain disillusion for his theory...I'm pretty sure he's dead wrong).

The evidence is pretty controvertible that his table was blacked out digitally, probably for the basic reason CD said, to prevent exposure. I'm not going to speculate on whether his hints at the method are correct but yeah. Honestly in cases like where it's solely done to prevent exposure via video playback I don't really have a problem with it, I shoot at 24 FPS with a shutter angle of around 225-230 for similar reasons. TV however is usually set at 60fps which makes it way easier to slow things down clearly, and they also stick strictly to the 180 degree shutter rule for production reasons.

As for "proving your innocence" short of doing it live there's not a whole lot you can do. "one take, static shot, no cuts" can help, but then people can accuse of you off all sorts of digital manipulation (even it's not really possible without cuts or camera movement to hide things)

Apr 3, 2019
I feel that a stooge is a perfectly legitimate means for accomplishing an effect. It allows you to pull off miracles. Just think of the exposure one could get if he does something with a stooge and it gets viral( cos possibilities with stooges
are limitless.) As far as fake magic goes, its not like you're using some sort of unholy powers and should be burned at the stake. Its all deception( and to quote Michael Vincent, thats true, we're the biggest culprits), there's no real magic. A lot of stuff is cut out from footage you see. Its meant for entertainment, not for someone to expose and prove that he's smart.
That being said, its never possible to make someone believe how fairly you do a trick. Its all in their mind. If they catch the littlest fishy thing, they say they caught you. Some people aren't necessarily hecklers but just wanna show they're smart****s. At such times, I simply do a juggling demonstration and walk off.
Something that really irritates me though, is when someone stooges a reaction(you know what I'm talking about.)
Tv magic will never satisfy magicians, coz its all too clean. An example I can think of is David Blaine's performance of Double Exposure, theres no way he did what Asi Wind had done. But with audiences, the latest trend is making a guess as to how its done and the easiest one they can think of is cgi, gimmicks or stooges.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
That being said, its never possible to make someone believe how fairly you do a trick. Its all in their mind. If they catch the littlest fishy thing, they say they caught you. Some people aren't necessarily hecklers but just wanna show they're smart****s. At such times, I simply do a juggling demonstration and walk off.
I can't count how many times I've been performing for a smart@$$ and they go "I SAW THAT!!!" when 9 times out of 10, I wasn't even doing a sleight.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results