Beginner Question On Bottom Deal

Sep 29, 2018
I’ve been practicing the bottom deal for about a week. Despite my best efforts I still cannot buckle the bottom card. Is this common or am I likely missing something technique wise?

May 11, 2017
Ukraine, Odessa
I’ve been practicing the bottom deal for about a week. Despite my best efforts I still cannot buckle the bottom card. Is this common or am I likely missing something technique wise?
There is one joke - "You can't ask question for the first year on bottom deal".
Basically you just need practice. Is not a move you gonna get in a week, month or even a year..

Just make sure your teaching source and understanding of the technic, are ok and practice.
Also is good, to check all sources you probably could, for the teaching instructions to make sure you are not missing a point and get more tips later on..

Sep 29, 2018
There is one joke - "You can't ask question for the first year on bottom deal".
Basically you just need practice. Is not a move you gonna get in a week, month or even a year..

Just make sure your teaching source and understanding of the technic, are ok and practice.
Also is good, to check all sources you probably could, for the teaching instructions to make sure you are not missing a point and get more tips later on..
I see, that makes sense. Thanks!

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Nov 3, 2018
All of the above said, although we might be able to give you a few tips if you'd tell us which technique and grip you're using? Erdnase, a Mechanic's grip, Madison, ... ?

No matter which grip you're using, one important piece of advice: Make the grip your own. If you're using Erdnase, move your fingers a little bit to find a point at which it's most comfortable for you. Take a look at other performers and see how they hold the deck.
If you're using Erdnase, try moving first and second finger away from the corner and just a quarter of an inch towards the middle, so they don't lie exactly on the corners. This might help with the awkwardness.
If you're using a Mechanic's grip, experiment with moving your first finger on top of the deck a little bit.

Other than that, of course, practice, practice, practice. Don't get disheartened, if I remember correctly I needed a whole of two weeks until I got that d***ed bottom card loose the first time.
I second Gabriel's advice on the Jason England tutorial as well, it's helped me a lot with this move.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Apr 3, 2019
Practice drills. The bottom deal, just like any other move, requires muscle memory. The best way to do this, is not to do the deal at all. If you need the buckle, you are obviously using a push off bottom deal. Try to do the buckle and slide the card out with your dealing hand alone. Rather, just try to push the bottom card out, without a buckle, with one hand. This should give you familiarity.
If, after a few weeks, you still can't get it, you should probably consider a change in grip. All grips are not suitable for all people. As you are probably using the Erdnase grip, I'd recommend switching to the Gene Maze grip.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Try holding the deck at the ends (Biddle grip) with your right hand while you try to buckle the cards. Once you get the idea go back to doing it one handed.
The placement of your left thumb in critical as it is what you are pressing against when you buckle.

Sep 29, 2018
A lot of great information, thanks everyone! I’ve been using the Jason England material for the bottom deal. I will look into your all’s grip recommendations.

Nov 3, 2018
A lot of great information, thanks everyone! I’ve been using the Jason England material for the bottom deal. I will look into your all’s grip recommendations.

That's a good place to start. The only thing I don't think Mr England emphasizes enough in his download is, as already said above, to find your own grip. It's no use trying to mimic his grip exactly; unless you have hands as large as his, your grip would look strained and would be quite uncomfortable. Instead, find your own grip. The principles he teaches still apply, but make them your own.

I just remembered: I'm quite sure Mr England says to "practice this motion (the push-out of the bottom card) for a few weeks". When he says "a few weeks" he means "a few weeks". The quote B.Nikolay mentioned above is from him (at least he quotes it in his Live Penguin Lecture). This is a move you'll practice for years; you can bet on it taking some time to get the hang of.

Have fun practicing! :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results