What's a good response to "Sorry it's against my/our religion"?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I've heard some people say they've had success when they don't try to force it on them but will just try to explain that it's all skill and meant for entertainment and then see if they're still against it.

I've also heard others say it's best to just say "have a nice day" and let them go on.

What would you all say is the best way to respond to someone who says magic is "against [their] religion"?
Thank You!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
"OK, how about a voodoo demonstration then?"

In all seriousness, I would go with the "thank you and have a nice day." I've never had anyone say that magic is against their religion, but I'm sure its possible. I suspect that there is a pretty basic understanding that magic is just a trick, so explaining that won't get you anywhere. If there is an objection, it would be against simulating the supernatural or (in an alternative alliterative phrasing) pretending to have powers. That is, you are either imitating the Devil or God and neither is a good thing. Perform for people who want to see you perform (for example, in a performance, I once handed a priest an envelope that had Satan's return address and asked him to hold on to it for me).

Last edited:

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
"OK, how about a voodoo demonstration then?"

In all seriousness, I would go with the "thank you and have a nice day." I've never had anyone say that magic is against their religion, but I'm sure its possible. I suspect that there is a pretty basic understanding that magic is just a trick, so explaining that won't get you anywhere. If there is an objection, it would be against simulating the supernatural or (in an alternative alliterative phrasing) pretending to have powers. That is, you are either imitating the Devil or God and neither is a good thing. Perform for people who want to see you perform (for example, in a performance, I once handed a priest an envelope that had Satan's return address and asked him to hold on to it for me).
Fair enough.

Zeede

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2018
Sadly there's no "good" response. One of my son's friends can't watch Harry Potter because his parents believe that magic = Satan. He can't even play computer games that have magic in it, but Fortnite is okay. Go figure.

Just chalk it up to the same mindset as anti-vaxxers and flat Earthers. You're not going to convince them of the error of their views, so just take the high road and be polite and friendly.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
My mother in law was surprised to find out that I was somewhat religious and was a professional magician. She thought it was strange.

If it's a friend or family member I'd talk about it with them, I'd teach them a trick or show them a math-based puzzle that feels like magic.

In a professional setting, I think the worst I ever had was that a teenage girl had to ask her dad if she could sign her name on a playing card on the sabbath. I'm not sure what her faith was but it threw me off a little. I just took a step back and waited for her father to give me the go-ahead to keep performing.

If I ever had a bigger problem, I'd probably just start talking to the group and wouldn't do any magic. "Where are you from? How has your vacation been? etc."

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I agree. You thank them for their time and move on. Why try to convince someone to watch your magic if it is already giving them anxiety? Would be like peer pressuring them into doing something they fear they may regret later. Tonyou and I it sounds ridiculous but to them it may be a very serious deal.

Make like Queen Elsa and just let it go! ;)

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
It’s funny. Just this past Friday I was at a gig. And I had some random dude pull me aside, and tell me that he didn’t agree with what I was doing, and that he wouldn’t stand for it anymore... needless to say, he was removed from the premises.

Nov 3, 2018
First of all, during the course of this discussion, let's try to keep up the respect we ought to have for other people, even those who have opinions which differ from our own and which we might find stupid. I know most people on this forum would do that anyway, and I don't really expect things to go "bad", this is just a friendly reminder. This is a topic on which discussion can get quite heated when our own beliefs come into it, so it doesn't hurt to remember this.

The answer you give depends on the person. If it's a stranger you wanted to perform magic for, the answer should be, as pointed out by a few people already: "Thank you and have a nice day." There's really no need to get into a theological discussion with that person.

If it's somebody you know well and you can have this kind of discussion with him, I think it's worth discussing. For the sake of argument, I'll just assume the person is a christian; I think it's similar for a jew, but it may be different with a muslim.
Usually the reason for this person's opinion is a wrong understanding of what the Bible is saying. When the Bible talks about magic it talks about meddling with supernatural forces, oftentimes even channelling demons. Naturally, the Bible tells us not to do this.
The problem is: In English, as well as German and, I assume, many other languages, the word used for this sort of magic and our kind of "magic" (sleight of hand, trickery, maths etc.) is the same, so it can easily lead to confusion.
Of course most people have a good understanding that today's magic tricks aren't "magic" in that sense, but there might be confusion to the performers motives: Does the performer try to look like he's channelling supernatural powers? If so, this might be considered similar to somebody pretending to commit murder: Not the actual "bad" thing, but definitely not amusing, to say the least.

When discussing this, it's important to understand why people think that magic tricks are against their religion. As I said, I think it's worth having this discussion with people you know well and who think that way, because they really miss out on something.
But the most important thing is to remember that for some people - whether it's right or not - this belief is deeply ingrained in their culture and upbringing, and whether or not we agree we should always respect that.

If somebody wants to read a little more on this subject, there's a good essay on the Magic Café Forums about it: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=164580&forum=198

Thank you all for reading all of this, I'm sorry if I rambled a little along the way :)
Have a good day, everybody!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I did a Russian Community event last year and had a woman at a table decline because she was "from the old country".
She was quite rude and abrupt about it. I wished them a great evening, and went on with things. Later that evening on my way out, I headed into the elevator and she came in behind me. She apologized for coming off rude and said that any kind of magic makes her uncomfortable, and I had just caught her off guard. It was nice of her to say, and goes to show, you just don't know where people are coming from.

Oct 23, 2019
What's a good response to "Sorry it's against my/our religion"?
There is nothing to say. Do what I do. ok thanks for letting me know.
Then say..Well it's not against mine,. and ask them if they want to see a trick.

Yes I really do that a lot of the time. But I can get away with it because of how I am.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results