Hi All

Nov 8, 2019
Yes, I used the standard newbie subject coming into a new forum!

I like a lot of people who have always been in awe of magic card tricks and even learned one when I was a young boy, still can do it today. I just recently decided I was going to give card magic (my favorite) ago.

My question: What are the best smooth surface cards to use? I have Bicycle Bridge Size for my small hands, and I have been trying to learn the Cardini Change, and even using the bridge size, I am still having problems with the move. Now here is the strange part: I have a novelty deck of "Lav Vegas High-Quality Playing Cards," and I find doing the Cardini is much easier to do. I do believe it's because of the smooth surface; however, I don't like them; they have a picture of Vegas on them and seem to be very confusing to look at when face down so...

What would be a recommended brand of card that has a smooth surface on them, and is it possible to get them in a bridge size?

Added photo so everyone had an idea of how cheesy the cards are IMO

Attachments

• mn1_003532.jpg
    mn1_003532.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Firstly Welcome to the Forums! If you are into card magic go check this out:

This saves on having to write out a list of books you will need.

I usually go and buy a brick of cards every month or so...I would recommend you use Standard Bicycle Playing cards
.... You'll be going through a lot of decks on your journey. A lot of older books recommend the use of Bridge Size Cards but I
never found this to be practical. I'll liken it to music , If you are going to use a large electric guitar for a performance , would
you use a smaller acoustic guitar to practice with? I'll let you decide what works for you. Anyway , I hope I was of some use. And as
for the Cardini Change just keep working on that muscle memory and you will get it (eventually):)
A lot of helpful people on this forum. And don't forget to check out the Saturday Night Contest held at 7:30 PM Est for your chance
to win decks of playing cards.

Nov 8, 2019
Firstly Welcome to the Forums! If you are into card magic go check this out:

This saves on having to write out a list of books you will need.

I usually go and buy a brick of cards every month or so...I would recommend you use Standard Bicycle Playing cards
.... You'll be going through a lot of decks on your journey. A lot of older books recommend the use of Bridge Size Cards but I
never found this to be practical. I'll liken it to music , If you are going to use a large electric guitar for a performance , would
you use a smaller acoustic guitar to practice with? I'll let you decide what works for you. Anyway , I hope I was of some use. And as
for the Cardini Change just keep working on that muscle memory and you will get it (eventually):)
A lot of helpful people on this forum. And don't forget to check out the Saturday Night Contest held at 7:30 PM Est for your chance
to win decks of playing cards.

Thanks Gabriel appreciate the input =)

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Nov 8, 2019
BTW...Royal Road to Card Magic is the book I am reading now. I also have the encyclopedia of card tricks, also Expert Card Technique...but I am starting with Royal =)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So... I recommend using standard cards. You can use them regardless of you hand size (Google Mahadi Gilbert). Sometimes, thing are more difficult with a smaller deck.

However, if you insist on using smaller cards, get the Bicycle bridge sized decks. That's what I use to teach kids under 10.

I'd add Scarne on Card tricks to your list. Lots of stuff in there with not a lot of sleight of hand.

And... welcome to the forums.

Reactions: BlackBaron007
Nov 8, 2019
So... I recommend using standard cards. You can use them regardless of you hand size (Google Mahadi Gilbert). Sometimes, thing are more difficult with a smaller deck.

However, if you insist on using smaller cards, get the Bicycle bridge sized decks. That's what I use to teach kids under 10.

I'd add Scarne on Card tricks to your list. Lots of stuff in there with not a lot of sleight of hand.

And... welcome to the forums.

Thank you, RealityOne! I think my set back was due to the fact I have no muscle memory to do certain things, and the more I try and do them, it starts to work. I even figured out how to shuffle standing up this morning; it's all in how you hold the cards, my way too.

PS this morning I made myself do two full deck rotations of the Cardini, and I am slow but can do it without touching the deck with my right hand (most of the time lol)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results