Thumb tip and scarves

Sep 18, 2017
What are your thoughts on the standard thumb tip and scarves routine? I really like it but just wanted some other opinions on it? Is it considered a good routine or is it more "amateurish"?

I recently started learning and practicing it and building my own routine on it... but previously I always looked at thumb tips as "Amater?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I used to think the snap change was a laughable sleight that appealed to "amatuers" because it is easy to do. Then after seeing it done well in a routine I realised that things like snap changes aren't amatuerish sleights but rather they are often peformed amateurishly by others.

I don't use a thumbtip for scarves but have messed around with it on other uses like bill switches etc. I say go for the scarf routine and try it out and see if you like it, as well as what your audience thinks of it.

Reactions: Justin.Morris

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I like doing the Mismade Flag or Thumb Tip Blendo for kids. For adults, I use my Thumb Tip for my torn and restored sugar packet or airline napkin.

What does the routine you are doing consist of?

Sep 18, 2017
I like doing the Mismade Flag or Thumb Tip Blendo for kids. For adults, I use my Thumb Tip for my torn and restored sugar packet or airline napkin.

What does the routine you are doing consist of?

I am still putting it together... but it is really for a multi age audience.
Starting with some fun visual magic like appearing cane > to silk > to wand.
Then some fun close up with cards and ending with an ambitious card ending with cardographic card rise.
This is where I want to end off with some audience interaction with the thumbtip and making scarves disappear / change color.. I like it because it can give a nice visual ending and good for the audience and the close up spectators.

Thoughts?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
To be honest, I do a quick routine with a simple silk vanish as an opener for one of my strolling sets, and it's so strong. It is the only opener I do that gets applause 90 percent of the time.

Oct 10, 2019
Europe
So you are a paramedic, are you? I have a good one for you. If you ever had any doubt about the effect of a TT and think it looks amateurish, just have a good look at my face and think thumb-tip. Forget the glasses. They are camouflage. It is my daily routine and i never leave home without it. Nobody ever notices. That are all the hints you get. You should be able to detect it.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
What are your thoughts on the standard thumb tip and scarves routine? I really like it but just wanted some other opinions on it? Is it considered a good routine or is it more "amateurish"?

I recently started learning and practicing it and building my own routine on it... but previously I always looked at thumb tips as "Amater?

It's a classic for a reason. It's a good trick. I don't love it personally, so I don't do it in my own work. But, it has all the hallmarks of a great trick. Visual, deceptive, engaging etc. If you like it then keep doing it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results