Looking to start mentalism

Nov 26, 2019
I'm looking to start mentalism, I am experienced with card magic but I am trying to learn more mentalism with no props. I don't know where to start. Which book or information should I start with? I've heard of the book 13 steps to mentalism, but is that a good starting point? If not, does anyone know any magic books or downloads that would be a good start?

Reactions: Luchnik

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals.
Paul Brook's Alchemical Tools.
Then Corinda's 13 Steps.
These will teach you foundation skills in contemporary mentalism.

13 Steps is like an encyclopedia. It's got tons of information, but learning mentalism from it would be like learning English by reading the dictionary. Fundamental's covers how to perform mentalism, and also has a nice long list of books in the back to read, which he calls The 39 Steps.

Don't worry about starting off "propless". Develop a few key skills and you'll realize how easy it is to build routines that are either propless or the props are psychologically invisible.

Oct 23, 2014
I don't have a lot of experience with mentalism, but I love Anneman's Practical Mental Magic. The presentations are a little dated, but for the price I think it can't be beat.

Nov 26, 2019
I don't have a lot of experience with mentalism, but I love Anneman's Practical Mental Magic. The presentations are a little dated, but for the price I think it can't be beat.
Oh ok, does it have good mentalism tricks? I will look into that. I've heard good things about it.

Oct 23, 2014
Yeah it's all mentalism. If I remember right the most compelling work involved billets. Not sure if that suits your needs, but it seems like done properly the routines in that book would sell really well.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010

You can’t beat $0.00 . You can read a digital version online legally for free in the learned pig project section of lybrary.com

Nov 3, 2018
Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals.
Paul Brook's Alchemical Tools.
Then Corinda's 13 Steps.
These will teach you foundation skills in contemporary mentalism.

13 Steps is like an encyclopedia. It's got tons of information, but learning mentalism from it would be like learning English by reading the dictionary. Fundamental's covers how to perform mentalism, and also has a nice long list of books in the back to read, which he calls The 39 Steps.

Don't worry about starting off "propless". Develop a few key skills and you'll realize how easy it is to build routines that are either propless or the props are psychologically invisible.
Christopher, good to see you're not gone for good! :)

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Cassidy's FundaMentals is the best starting point.
As far as I can tell, this is available as an e-book and is also included in the physical copy of the compilation "THE ARTFUL MENTALISM OF BOB CASSIDY, VOL. 2: FUNDAMENTALS". He has a number of similarly titled publications, please correct me if I'm wrong.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Anneman's Practical Mental Magic is, as the title suggests, Mental Magic not mentalism.

In contemporary terms there isn't a massive difference any more but traditionally speaking they are very different things.

Christopher, good to see you're not gone for good! :)

Thanks!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results