Where to learn the classic pass?

Dec 22, 2019
Hi, I’ve recently started training on the classic pass and I’m just a beginner at it. The fact is that I could find several differences among the handlings explained in books, like royal road, card college and others.
The question is: Can someone suggest me where to study the classic pass?
And which is for you the best variation of the classic pass ( like the Herrmann or the Invisible Pass)?
Thank you and Merry Christmas

Nov 3, 2018
To not answer your second question: a) What exactly do you mean by the Invisible Pass?
b) The Hermann pass can't be called a variation of the classic pass. It's a completely different pass: The end goal - restoring the order of the deck - is the same, but the mechanics are completely different.
Concerning your first question: Jason England's 1o1 is a tutorial I suggest checking out. I admit that I haven't purchased it myself (yet), however Mr England is a superb teacher and goes into great detail when teaching difficult sleights.
The other one is Jonathan Kamm's: Jonathan Kamm has the best pass I have seen so far and if you're serious about perfecting (or getting as close as possible to perfecting) it, I highly suggest you check it out.

Hope this helps!
A very merry christmas to you, too!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Card College 2 is a fine place to study the classic pass. Royal Road was first published in 1948 and Card College 2 in 1996, as with life the handling evolved over time.

Dec 22, 2019
To not answer your second question: a) What exactly do you mean by the Invisible Pass?
b) The Hermann pass can't be called a variation of the classic pass. It's a completely different pass: The end goal - restoring the order of the deck - is the same, but the mechanics are completely different.
Concerning your first question: Jason England's 1o1 is a tutorial I suggest checking out. I admit that I haven't purchased it myself (yet), however Mr England is a superb teacher and goes into great detail when teaching difficult sleights.
The other one is Jonathan Kamm's: Jonathan Kamm has the best pass I have seen so far and if you're serious about perfecting (or getting as close as possible to perfecting) it, I highly suggest you check it out.

Hope this helps!
A very merry christmas to you, too!
What I mean with “variation of classic pass” is that the classic pass is the first version of the pass, and from this technique come other techniques based on its concept ( the end goal)
The Invisible pass is an other pass technique. The fact is that I’m not English, so I translated the name of that pass from my language to English.
But thanks for what you suggested me, I’m going to check it out immediately!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Expert at the Card Table - Two Handed Shift
Jason England's 1on1 on The Pass

Those are all you need. Well, those and practice.

Don't worry about variations until you are at least competent with the classic pass/shift. Once you are competent you'll realize most of those variations are just ways to cover bad technique.

Reactions: Theorist19
Dec 22, 2019
Expert at the Card Table - Two Handed Shift
Jason England's 1on1 on The Pass

Those are all you need. Well, those and practice.

Don't worry about variations until you are at least competent with the classic pass/shift. Once you are competent you'll realize most of those variations are just ways to cover bad technique.

Thank you, really clarifying and beautiful suggestions.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Hi, I’ve recently started training on the classic pass and I’m just a beginner at it. The fact is that I could find several differences among the handlings explained in books, like royal road, card college and others.
The question is: Can someone suggest me where to study the classic pass?
And which is for you the best variation of the classic pass ( like the Herrmann or the Invisible Pass)?
Thank you and Merry Christmas
Xavior Spade has a great resource too...and btw, the Turnover Pass is the best imo.

PS:- Isn't Hermann Pass different from Classic Pass?

Dec 22, 2019
PS:- Isn't Hermann Pass different from Classic Pass?
Sorry, I’m afraid I didn’t understand what you meant by this? I know that the Hermann and classic pass are different, but what I mean is that they can be classified in the same category of techniques because of their goal, and that the Hermann pass comes from the Classic Pass.
P.s.
Merry Christmas
TCM

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Well, yeah, both are passes, true...

But the classic pass shifts the TOP packet down...and the Hermann Pass shifts the BOTTOM packet up. Thus is most cases, the Hermann Pass and its variations are better-covered.

PS:- Just found out that the Hermann Pass is wrongly named and is actually the Hofzinser Pass...so sad for Hofzinser...I mean, people don't even credit him for the spread control as it is, lel.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Hmn...

Each one to their own opinion I guess.

ECT's Turnover Pass is great I'd say, and well, I think it isn't smart to be a purist in case of sleights.

SEE, ALL IN ALL, @The Top Change Man ...fact remains that in many cases the double undercut is the best control out there as compared to any pass or control, and we magicians must just deal with that truth, *sigh*.

Mate, choose the move according to the situation. Although of course, if you want to learn I'd say the basic Classic Pass to get a good grasp on the basics, and again (are you tired of me saying it yet? XD) then, the Turnover.

Unless you *are* Xavior Spade incognito...please do the Classic Pass then...

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm not a purist in any sense of the word when it comes to sleight of hand. What I do know, though, is that when you get the classic pass down properly the variations are no longer needed. The variations are almost all created to compensate for some issue with the pass. Jiggle, dribble, spread, turnover, etc - they all add extra movements in to hide the action of the classic pass. If the pass is competently performed, those extra movements are no longer necessary.

Note that getting the classic pass to a competent level also includes knowing when to use it - which is where most people go wrong.

Dec 31, 2018
You can also go on Alex Pandrea’s YouTube channel, he has a free video on the classic pass which is good.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results