Getting a gig in strolling magic

Dec 1, 2017
Hey guys I'm hoping to try and get a gig at a resturant near me doing strolling magic, and I was just wondering what kind of tips and tricks you guys have for actully getting the gig and also what kind of effects do well in a resturant setting.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Tons of great advice right there. My best piece of advice that I use (I'm sure it's in the videos Michael shared) is to take a group of your friends to the place you want to hopefully work at. Perform for them (probably want to do effects they haven't seen before) and their reactions will "sell" your interview for you. Before long other tables and guests will want to see what is going on and management will make their way over. This works quite well believe it or not.

The other method is to actually find out who the owner of the establishment is and set up an actual interview with you pitching to them how you can work on their slow nights to boost sales and attract more business. You don't want to work on super super busy nights and take too long at tables or you are hurting the turn around time for the tables which is then losing the restaurant business and money. It can be done but you need to know "when" to get in and get out so the guests leave and don't just keep waiting for the magician to finally come over.

Reactions: obrienmagic
Dec 1, 2017
Tons of great advice right there. My best piece of advice that I use (I'm sure it's in the videos Michael shared) is to take a group of your friends to the place you want to hopefully work at. Perform for them (probably want to do effects they haven't seen before) and their reactions will "sell" your interview for you. Before long other tables and guests will want to see what is going on and management will make their way over. This works quite well believe it or not.

The other method is to actually find out who the owner of the establishment is and set up an actual interview with you pitching to them how you can work on their slow nights to boost sales and attract more business. You don't want to work on super super busy nights and take too long at tables or you are hurting the turn around time for the tables which is then losing the restaurant business and money. It can be done but you need to know "when" to get in and get out so the guests leave and don't just keep waiting for the magician to finally come over.

I really like the first idea thanks so much!

Reactions: obrienmagic

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
In addition to what has been written already here you can check out Kostya Kimlat. He has a business that puts magicians in restaurants and has some great advice on this and in general in his 8 dollar penguin lecture.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results