Up the ladder shuffle tips

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
What about GPS? That's an incredible source to learn from as well.

GPS is a brilliant investment and worth its weight in gold.

The benefit of the Turner DVDs is that he actually teaches the techniques though. Once you have a reasonable grounding with card work, moving on to Fortes work won’t scare you quite so much.

BB

May 25, 2019
The hardest part about up the ladder is that there isn’t any real secrets to share other than practice.

I would strongly suggest investing time in your standard strip so that you get your speed consistent but otherwise it’s all a practice game.

just filmed this for reference. I’m no Steve Forte but it’s getting up to speed.

video is of a standard strip followed by an up the ladder.

let us know if there is anything specific you are looking to improve and we might be able to help otherwise, keep at it!

BB

This is a weird question but after seeing how fast you do it would you say this is a reliable shuffle? I've been practicing this for a long time and I can't get it right 100% of the times when retaining full deck order. Thanks.

Reactions: byronblaq

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
This is a weird question but after seeing how fast you do it would you say this is a reliable shuffle? I've been practicing this for a long time and I can't get it right 100% of the times when retaining full deck order. Thanks.

very much so. That video is actually I little slower than I would usually perform but is a little easier to see the sidejogs with it slowed down.

Speed takes quite some time to build up to. Take it slow until you have complete confidence in the actions.

I mentioned this on another post I think but try using a metronome app on your phone so it’s a consistent speed.

As for using this, the up the ladder I wouldn’t use as a complete deck control. You can although I think it goes better with a push through shuffle combination.

looks far more natural.

hope this helps.
BB

Nov 3, 2018
As for using this, the up the ladder I wouldn’t use as a complete deck control. You can although I think it goes better with a push through shuffle combination.

looks far more natural.
I agree on this. To a casual observer it seems like a fair strip cut when done with enough speed. Another nice application for Up the Ladder is to combine it with a false strip cut: Do two or three Up the Ladder sequences (following a push-through) and end with a false strip cut. When done with speed it looks quite deceptive and elegant (to be used in a magic, not a gambling environment).

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
very much so. That video is actually I little slower than I would usually perform but is a little easier to see the sidejogs with it slowed down.

Speed takes quite some time to build up to. Take it slow until you have complete confidence in the actions.

I mentioned this on another post I think but try using a metronome app on your phone so it’s a consistent speed.

looks far more natural.

hope this helps.
BB
I for one would like to see it at full speed. It looked great at the speed shown above. I have only tried to pick it up a few times, but I had a completely incorrect conception of what is was supposed to be like.

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I for one would like to see it at full speed. It looked great at the speed shown above. I have only tried to pick it up a few times, but I had a completely incorrect conception of what is was supposed to be like.

I’d happily record it but honestly, I pale in comparison to Steve Forte.

I’d watch that video of his on the previous page and take in what he does.

I think he does an up the ladder somewhere around the 17 second mark. Likely does a bunch more of them too.

BB

Nov 3, 2018
Wait -- that's an up the ladder?! I'd always assumed they were simple running cuts! But why would he do up the ladders here, as he doesn't really need them at that point?

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Wait -- that's an up the ladder?! I'd always assumed they were simple running cuts! But why would he do up the ladders here, as he doesn't really need them at that point?

Well, it’s an assumption given he does an any four of a kind called for immediately after.

he could be doing a half deck control of high values and legitimately stripping the other half or even just a partial up the ladder into a real strip.

Honestly though, both Forte and Jason England do brilliant up the ladder sequences and both are well worth watching.
BB

Nov 3, 2018
Good point. But let's not further speculate upon his method; there was an argument (well, more of a fight) about that at the Magic Café, and I'm not keen on having that here :)

Either way, yes, both Mr Forte and Mr England are fantastic to watch!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results