Card production

Nov 3, 2018
Hello everybody,
I remember seeing a really nice card production some time ago. The magician (can't even remember who it was) held two cards spread quite widely, and with a little flick of the wrist suddenly a third card stuck out reversed between them.
Can anybody tell me what this technique is called (or even whether it actually exists)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Nov 3, 2018
Do you happen to know if Eric Chien uses gimmicks for this particular effect? Also, could you tell me some of the other trailers you saw it on?

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Hello everybody,
I remember seeing a really nice card production some time ago. The magician (can't even remember who it was) held two cards spread quite widely, and with a little flick of the wrist suddenly a third card stuck out reversed between them.
Can anybody tell me what this technique is called (or even whether it actually exists)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hey,
What you're describing sounds like a fairly common move used in a lot of sandwich routines.
Scott.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Hi Scott,
Can you give me any sources?
Thanks!

Sure, I can do a bit of quick research from Denis Behr's website on sandwich effects.
Hope this helps:

- The idea, now standard, of loading a hidden card between two others, by peeling off the top card and taking it below the other two, seems first to have been described by Edward Marlo in “More Deuce Sandwiches,” an article in The New Tops, Vol. 8 No. 5, May 1968, p. 32.

- A prototype of the Sandwich effect may be seen in Richard Neve's The merry companion: or, delights for the ingenious, 1716, p. 121; see “To make any one blow a Card in between two Cards.” In this early effect, the performer holds half of the deck in each hand and slams them together, face to face, causing an indifferent card to appear between them. The card that appears is not a selection.

- An early modern example of the Sandwich effect is Louis F. Christianer's “Obedient Card” in The Magic Wand, Jan. 1917, p. 78. Note Christianer's introductory comment: “This trick is a variation of one I have performed for some time, and which has been made familiar by Malini, Merlin, and others. In their hands a good deal of manipulation is required, and the average performer does not care to bother with it.” From this it would seem the Sandwich Effect, with various methods, was in circulation at least among professionals for some time before Christianer published his revised handling.

- There was also a variant in which the two reversed sandwich cards appear by surprise, surrounding the selection. William Larsen and T. Page Wright had one of these in their L. W. Card Mysteries, n.d. (c. 1928), p. 10. Jack McMillen and Judson Brown published another method for the L. W. effect, titled “A New Reverse Location” in Take a Card, 1929, p. 8.

ALSO: https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/category/1171

Reactions: Theorist19
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results