Can we all agree to stop doing this?

Dtop

Elite Member
Jan 13, 2019
But.... I asked a girl to homecoming last year with magic?..?? But yes, I get the idea to not brand magic as that. It does get annoying when every tricks selling point is the same one thing.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
But.... I asked a girl to homecoming last year with magic?..?? But yes, I get the idea to not brand magic as that. It does get annoying when every tricks selling point is the same one thing.

Yeah, so I really think that magic can be a great Valentine's gift, it can be something fun to do. I think girls like magic just as much as guys, and you could even do magic in a social situation and flirt a little bit.

It's the creepy pick up artist thing that I don't love.

Right now in my career I'm to the point where I think that doing anything else but magic is your best option when you're breaking the ice. When I approach people at a gig I don't ask them to see magic, and I don't start doing magic, I start with a game that we all play that eventually ends up being magical. When I met my wife I was a magician on the side but she didn't know for a few weeks. And even after knowing I don't think she saw her first magic trick until one or two months into a relationship.

I think magic is best when you have established yourself as a good person before you establish yourself as a magician. At least that's what works for me.

Reactions: kthrzne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
This is hysterical

Especially because the people making the video only had one magician performing for one woman. For some reason they didn't have footage of Will performing for an attractive woman. :confused:

Can we all agree to stop selling magic as a way to meet girls or guys?

There goes half the market.:D

And even after knowing I don't think she saw her first magic trick until one or two months into a relationship.

My advice is to wait longer... maybe even after you are married. ;)

Reactions: Josh Burch

Dtop

Elite Member
Jan 13, 2019
I think magic is best when you have established yourself as a good person before you establish yourself as a magician. At least that's what works for me.
Ya, I completely agree. While I do enjoy using magic to “flirt,” if I can call it that, if someone asks for a trick, or likes me only for my magic, I’ll often say no until we are decent friends. I went to preference last Saturday, I was basically a magic show after the dance, but I was ok with it, we were a group of friends, and it started with a game of scum before it turned to magic. And when I let someone sign a card, I chose the person I had known the longest(my date.) I don’t want people to be my friend just because I get them keep a signed card. Magic isn’t for getting friends, it’s to make friendships magical. (To cheesy? Haha) I love magic. But I have to agree, these tricks with said titles are annoying. When naming a trick, one is branding magic. They are twisting the art, re branding it to get girls over being its own art form. But hey, it’s fun to see your best friends reaction when a box of matches turns into her signed card. Emphasis on friend, we know each other. That’s all, I have to say, not sure where I wanted to go with that, but thank everyone for spending a few minutes to read my rant.

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
[QUOTE="Josh Burch, post: 502711, member: 30813]Can we all agree to stop selling magic as a way to meet girls or guys?

I can understand how it might be fun or interesting as an ice breaker but man this is too far.

Can we all agree to stop that?[/QUOTE]

No.

Too bad.

Again, no.

I dont know why you can’t just leave them be? But no you have to give them “free advertising”.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
[QUOTE="Josh Burch, post: 502711, member: 30813]Can we all agree to stop selling magic as a way to meet girls or guys?

I can understand how it might be fun or interesting as an ice breaker but man this is too far.

Can we all agree to stop that?

No.

Too bad.

Again, no.

I dont know why you can’t just leave them be? But no you have to give them “free advertising”.

I don't have a problem promoting the companies. The companies are fine. They teach good magic.

I just think that selling magic as a way to seduce women is tacky.

Especially when the magic they sell is good for many other things. Sponge balls, card manipulations, and crazy man's handcuffs are great. If you have in your head that doing split fans in front of a reflective window (face palm) is a great way to get a date then I have to break it to you, there are easier, dare I say, better ways to do that.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Something that is fully related to this question is also when you show your friends magic or when your friends know that you're a magician, they say something like: "Dude I bet you could pick up so many chicks with that"

Makes me facepalm every time.

One of the last things I would do to "pick up" a girl would be a magic trick. It's so tacky and for the majority of men it's used as a gimmick to show off and impress. It's even worse for those that morph into another personality when they perform, so they're not even being who they really are in that scenario. It's usually a recipe for disaster.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I've said it before I'll say it again...I like some of their products but dislike their advertising in general.

Magic as a pickup art thing isn't new...even older books like BoBo's have routines and patter that implicitly states this idea. I just for the life of me don't see how this form of advertising helps E's image or magics image for that matter in the eyes of; laypeople, women, and apparently E's non target audience of women magicians.

Sep 10, 2017
It reminded me of a book I read recently about pickup artists called “The Game” by “Neil Strauss”. (I didn’t read it with any ‘Ill Intent’ LOL, but just outta curiosity about PUAs, so don’t judge me).
In fact one of these pickup dudes was an amateur magician and used his techniques to start conversations and pick up girls. And since that books is reciting the events in early 2000, it seems that this kind of use of this artform has been around for quite longer than I thought (insert facepalm emojy here).

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Personally I would recommend doing some magic to a girl... if she is already interested in you and outside you character if you have one...

There is nothing wrong in sharing magic with a girl you like!! but you better have something more to show her (good personality, interesting things to say and great vibe) aside from some cheap magic trick..

Jul 6, 2019
I do think magic can be a good way to meet people/icebreaker. But yeah stuff like this and the trailer for Ellusionists new mentalism kit really rub me the wrong way and give off a PUA/Self-Help huckster vibe. As a community we really don't need that crap.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Just to reiterate, I like Ellusionist as a company. They have some great magic! I bleeped the name to highlight the headline and keep the focus on that not the company.

Also, Magic Flix looks fine. I know Rocco and Jeff McBride both have signed on over there. Outside of that I don't know much about them.

So I just want to make it clear that I don't have anything against these companies, I just don't like the angle they are taking.

Also, I absolutely think magic can be romantic and interesting to the opposite sex. I think that there are better ways to get an individual's attention.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results