Second Deal Resources

Dec 5, 2018
I need to learn to do a seemless second deal for a routine, but have not yet approached the technique. What are the best, easily available resources (both in print and video) to learn the move.

If anyone knows of any excellent free resources to kickoff learning, I would greatly appreciate that.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I need to learn to do a seemless second deal for a routine, but have not yet approached the technique. What are the best, easily available resources (both in print and video) to learn the move.

If anyone knows of any excellent free resources to kickoff learning, I would greatly appreciate that.

From the sound of it you are kind of in a rush to learn the technique it's not going to happen overnight.... But anyway here are some resources to get you started. Practice will soon do the rest.

Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue
The Expert at the Card Table by S.W. Erdnase is another great starting point two methods(Both Push-Off) in there if I am not mistaken.
Also Jason England has two downloads one on the Push-Off the other is the Strike Method.

Sep 10, 2017
Gabriel just gave you all the resources you're gonna need. I just wanna mention 3 extra resources that are also good:
Revolutionary Card Technique by Ed Marlo, Second Deal by Alex Pandrea, and Master Push off by Andi Gladwin.

P.S. I personally learned in mainly from The Master Push Off video.

Dec 5, 2018
From the sound of it you are kind of in a rush to learn the technique it's not going to happen overnight.... But anyway here are some resources to get you started. Practice will soon do the rest.

Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue
The Expert at the Card Table by S.W. Erdnase is another great starting point two methods(Both Push-Off) in there if I am not mistaken.
Also Jason England has two downloads one on the Push-Off the other is the Strike Method.

Thank you both for all your suggestions. I apologize if I made it seem like I was in a rush, I have no deadline whatsoever, I am just excited to learn the technique and the routine.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Nov 3, 2018
What kind of routine do you need the second deal for? Depending on the use (and on the grip you usually use), either the strike or the push-off second deal can be more appropriate.

As Gabriel already said, EATCT explains the push-off in two different variations. If you don't own a copy yourself, you can get it for free (and legally) as a PDF.
Though I don't own this particular video myself, I'd second Jason England's tutorial. His teaching is clear and detailed, he goes into how to practice correctly and what to avoid.

The second deal is also a move that you can learn quite well from watching masters of the move do it, at least that's been my experience. Of course it's advisable to invest some money into this, but if you're a bit short on cash at the moment, you can learn it quite well that way. The danger when doing that is that you might fall into traps and pitfalls when practicing you could have avoided otherwise.

Dec 5, 2018
What kind of routine do you need the second deal for? Depending on the use (and on the grip you usually use), either the strike or the push-off second deal can be more appropriate.

As Gabriel already said, EATCT explains the push-off in two different variations. If you don't own a copy yourself, you can get it for free (and legally) as a PDF.
Though I don't own this particular video myself, I'd second Jason England's tutorial. His teaching is clear and detailed, he goes into how to practice correctly and what to avoid.

The second deal is also a move that you can learn quite well from watching masters of the move do it, at least that's been my experience. Of course it's advisable to invest some money into this, but if you're a bit short on cash at the moment, you can learn it quite well that way. The danger when doing that is that you might fall into traps and pitfalls when practicing you could have avoided otherwise.

There are actually a couple of routines, but the first one I am focused on learning is Guy Hollingsworth’s take on the classic “Call to the Colours”

Nov 3, 2018
In that case, I'd recommend you focus on the strike second for now. Although I personally prefer the push-off second deal, the strike second is easier to get to an acceptable level. If you're using cards with a border, I also think it looks somewhat more visually deceptive (it isn't quite as obvious that the top card stays in place, at least in my opinion).

In that case, I'd recommend you focus on the strike second for now. Although I personally prefer the push-off second deal, the strike second is easier to get to an acceptable level. If you're using cards with a border, I also think it looks somewhat more visually deceptive (it isn't quite as obvious that the top card stays in place, at least in my opinion).

You said the strike second deal is easier to to get to an acceptable level. I've been relentlessly practicing it for 2 months now and honestly, I feel like I stopped making progression after week 1, it still SUCKS. LOL I obviously understand that it takes years to get down as per a lot of the masters, but I'm nowhere near the point that I can even get it pass a toddler. I reached out for advice in this forum before and I believe you may have even offered some. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get to an acceptable level? I realize everyone is different, but my fear is that I'm practicing poorly, in a way that won't lead to progression.

Nov 3, 2018
To be clear, when talking about an acceptable level, I haven't come near mastery of this move. And concerning this particular technique, I don't have very high ambitions, as I'm focusing on other moves at the moment. It's currently good enough for what I use it for (part of a gambling demo), and it's flown by all spectators so far.
It may very well be that our second deals look quite similar, but that you have higher standards than I do. If you're aiming for a Marlo/Nash/England level, then "acceptable" is a few notches higher than if you're aiming for a 30-second segment in your gambling demo.
I'm planning to put up a video of my progress on several sleights, to get some constructive criticism on them, sometime in the near future. You'll be able to see for yourself whether there's really any difference between your second and mine.

It's difficult to say how long it took me to arrive at the level I am now. I first started practicing it (though not very seriously) about 1 1/2 years ago, when first starting out with cards. About a year ago I started practicing it a little more seriously, though it was still on and off practice. To be honest, at the moment I'm only practicing the strike second to stay consistent (it's crazy how quickly your skill level can deteriorate with this sleight), not to get better.

Probably the best advice you can get is the one Jason England mentions in his Penguin Live Lecture (as I don't own it, I don't know whether he talks about it in his T11 1-on-1). Does "dealing strike tops" ring a bell?

No, sir. I don't think I've heard that, although I think I know where that goes. Is that referring to practice dealing tops in the same method as the strike? That would make sense. On a different note, if you don't mind, you said you've been practicing cards about a year and a half ago. I'd love to hear the path that you've chosen to learn, in other words, did you use certain books, videos, offered programs, etc. Personally, I joined Pigcake's card academy and bought several books: Royal Road to..., Expert Card Technique, and (I know I'm gonna get poopoo'ed for this, but I wanted the challenge of learning the stack, which I have) Mnemonica. I sometimes feel like if I were to focus on one particular avenue of learning that it would be more beneficial. Again, just curious for my own personal growth. I don't want to hijack this thread, perhaps I should start a new one for this. Thanks.

To be clear, when talking about an acceptable level, I haven't come near mastery of this move. And concerning this particular technique, I don't have very high ambitions, as I'm focusing on other moves at the moment. It's currently good enough for what I use it for (part of a gambling demo), and it's flown by all spectators so far.
It may very well be that our second deals look quite similar, but that you have higher standards than I do. If you're aiming for a Marlo/Nash/England level, then "acceptable" is a few notches higher than if you're aiming for a 30-second segment in your gambling demo.
I'm planning to put up a video of my progress on several sleights, to get some constructive criticism on them, sometime in the near future. You'll be able to see for yourself whether there's really any difference between your second and mine.

It's difficult to say how long it took me to arrive at the level I am now. I first started practicing it (though not very seriously) about 1 1/2 years ago, when first starting out with cards. About a year ago I started practicing it a little more seriously, though it was still on and off practice. To be honest, at the moment I'm only practicing the strike second to stay consistent (it's crazy how quickly your skill level can deteriorate with this sleight), not to get better.

Probably the best advice you can get is the one Jason England mentions in his Penguin Live Lecture (as I don't own it, I don't know whether he talks about it in his T11 1-on-1). Does "dealing strike tops" ring a bell?

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
You said the strike second deal is easier to to get to an acceptable level. I've been relentlessly practicing it for 2 months now and honestly, I feel like I stopped making progression after week 1, it still SUCKS. LOL I obviously understand that it takes years to get down as per a lot of the masters, but I'm nowhere near the point that I can even get it pass a toddler. I reached out for advice in this forum before and I believe you may have even offered some. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to get to an acceptable level? I realize everyone is different, but my fear is that I'm practicing poorly, in a way that won't lead to progression.
How would you define ' an acceptable' level?
Typicaly when I decide to do a second deal, I use it continuously (because personally speaking right now I don't see the point of second dealing just one card...that's basically a type of top change directly from the deck). I also wrist kill just a bit, and so the occasional shabby deal gets covered up.
For that, I needed just a week.
But of course, I hadn't been (and still ain't, if I'm honest, currently) interested in the second deal, and hence was satisfied as long as it served the purpose and caused no unintentional exposure. If you're taking this more seriously and for greater usage, I expect your 'acceptable' will indeed come months later.

PS:- Art (and life) has a way of rooting out people who are not devoted enough. If you have been practising the sleight for so long without getting it to your acceptable level (and assuming your acceptable level is reasonable, of course) I'm pretty sure you'd achieve what you want soon. It's typically right when we are absolutely frustrated with a sleight, a flourish, that aerial or that pass or the colour change, that our brain suddenly has a glorious stroke of inspiration to improve the move.
Good luck! :)

PPS:- To the OP, I second Expert Card Technique.

Reactions: Dooper
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results