No More Double Backers?

Jul 26, 2017
I've recently acquired the regular Blue Monarchs, and I've notice that the deck no longer has a double backer like it used to be

What happened? Why there are no more double backers anymore? Monarchs deck back design is just beautiful, and it would be pity if there is no more double backer.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I've recently acquired the regular Blue Monarchs, and I've notice that the deck no longer has a double backer like it used to be

What happened? Why there are no more double backers anymore? Monarchs deck back design is just beautiful, and it would be pity if there is no more double backer.

Monarchs stopped containing double-back cards several years ago - probably 4 or 5 years. This goes for most decks that we sell to a wide audience. We do very few double-back cards these days. While a double-backer can be moderately helpful to magician customers in some instances, it is extremely confusing (and a bit of a spoiler) to most of our other customers. Unless you are a magician, that card is at best not helpful, and at worst a glimpse into how some tricks work. It is is also often considered a defect by those not in the know. If you are a magician, double-backers are super easy to make - perhaps the easiest gaff card you can make with card splitting skills.

No splitting skills? Two ad cards glued front to front will do in a pinch. Or, if you want to learn an insanely valuable skill, Blake Vogt teaches how to split cards in a couple videos on The Marketplace. Knowing the material in those videos will let you make as many double-back gimmicks as you want (and many other kinds of gimmicks.

https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/blake-vogt/split-session-v1-speed-split
https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/blake-vogt/split-session-v2-assembly

Enjoy!

// L

Aug 29, 2019
Monarchs stopped containing double-back cards several years ago - probably 4 or 5 years. This goes for most decks that we sell to a wide audience. We do very few double-back cards these days. While a double-backer can be moderately helpful to magician customers in some instances, it is extremely confusing (and a bit of a spoiler) to most of our other customers. Unless you are a magician, that card is at best not helpful, and at worst a glimpse into how some tricks work. It is is also often considered a defect by those not in the know. If you are a magician, double-backers are super easy to make - perhaps the easiest gaff card you can make with card splitting skills.

No splitting skills? Two ad cards glued front to front will do in a pinch. Or, if you want to learn an insanely valuable skill, Blake Vogt teaches how to split cards in a couple videos on The Marketplace. Knowing the material in those videos will let you make as many double-back gimmicks as you want (and many other kinds of gimmicks.

https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/blake-vogt/split-session-v1-speed-split
https://www.theory11.com/marketplace/blake-vogt/split-session-v2-assembly

Enjoy!

// L
Then why noy make Monarch gaff packs for magicians?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Then why noy make Monarch gaff packs for magicians?

This is my opinion (I don't design our products, and my opinion does not generally influence what products we create), but... In my opinion there are two reasons.

1. Any card in a gaff deck that is worth using is both relatively easy to make and worth learning how to make.

Double backer? Check.
Double facer? Check.
Two-color double-backer? Check.

Not picking out any specific companies products out there, but do we REALLY need specifically a Monarch card with a zipper on the back, or an Artisan card with a misprint face? Yea, there are some cool ideas you can do with these cards, but really 90% of the cards in 90% of gaff decks out there are silly, mostly impractical things IMO. There are always exceptions, but very few people actually ask us for this sort of thing.

2. We sell LOTS of different decks - it is not remotely practical to print gaff decks for all (or even most) of them.

Where do we start? Monarchs are our most popular deck... for now. What about the people who prefer Artisans, or Tycoons? What about the 9 different colors of Monarchs? What about the special variants of Monarchs? Where do we draw the line? I don't know, and until I see a gaff deck that I really buy into, I won't know.

Until we see a gaff deck that we REALLY believe in, one that we honestly think is much better than what exists on the market today, we probably won't release one. We've definitely thought about it (and many other products people ask for) in the past, but until we can create a product that first passes our own inspection and is something we would use, it isn't happening. We'd much rather provide 1% of the products you want at a quality level of 100%, than 100% of the products you want at a quality level of 1%.

// L

Reactions: Gabearoov
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results