Difficult Moves

Apr 3, 2019
Hi, it's been a long time since I posted a thread.

I want a book filled with difficult sleights, not necessarily practical. I'm pretty much a move monkey, but the only source I have for such stuff is online. Since I've not handled much "knuckle-busting " stuff till now, I don't know what to pick up. I've heard a lot of good things about By Forces Unseen, and for the notoriety it holds for level of difficulty, it certainly should be a challenge as I only started card magic a little more than a year ago. Maybe it will turn out to be too much to handle, but that's kind of what I'm looking for. Suggestions?

Mar 14, 2019
I've been doing card work for about eighteen months now and Drawing Room Deceptions by Guy Hollingworth was the book that opened a lot of doors for me. It doesn't quite have the difficulty level of By Forces Unseen, but it does have some good knuckle busting sleights in it. It's a must read for card magic.

Jul 6, 2019
By Forces Unseen by Stephen Minch and If an Octopus Could Palm by Dan and Dave Buck are two go to move monkey books, unfortunately both are out of print and hilariously expensive.

Reactions: Theorist19
Nov 3, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you've posted in the past you seem to be interested in gambling moves. If so, keep your eyes peeled for a reprint of this book by Steve Forte. It's very expensive as well (don't know if the reprint will be less expensive), but well worth the price if you look at the index.

Apr 3, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you've posted in the past you seem to be interested in gambling moves. If so, keep your eyes peeled for a reprint of this book by Steve Forte. It's very expensive as well (don't know if the reprint will be less expensive), but well worth the price if you look at the index.
Forte's book is and will probably be the landmark on gambling sleights for a very long time (maybe Jason England can rival that if he writes one), but my interest in such moves far exceeds my ability for now. Certainly an excellent recommendation, but WAY over budget and sold out for now. I'll just keep working on the moves I know for now.

Apr 3, 2019
I've been doing card work for about eighteen months now and Drawing Room Deceptions by Guy Hollingworth was the book that opened a lot of doors for me. It doesn't quite have the difficulty level of By Forces Unseen, but it does have some good knuckle busting sleights in it. It's a must read for card magic.
Thanks! I'd heard of that book too but forgot about it. I guess I'll get that for now, as I believe the material is not easy and not too difficult either.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Marlo still has some of the most difficult card moves around. You want to look at Revolutionary Card Magic for sure, focus on Marlo's various center deals. Also, he has some great color changes which are fairly difficult.

Ray Kosby has some good work. He's the guy who created Raise Rise.

Much of Darwin Ortiz's original work is super difficult. Leonard Green has many difficult moves.

Any move by D'Amico is very difficult. You can learn D'Amico's double lift and second deal in Revolutionary Card Technique.

Paul lePaul has great work.

Jack Carpenter has a lot of great moves with a deck of cards.

One of the most difficult collections of card moves I have purchased in recent years was Eric Chien's video on card magic. Also some of Shin lim's collections of card moves are very difficult. He has a DVD called Shinanigans as well as the DVD called 21. Both are full of difficult card moves.

Apr 3, 2019
Marlo still has some of the most difficult card moves around. You want to look at Revolutionary Card Magic for sure, focus on Marlo's various center deals. Also, he has some great color changes which are fairly difficult.

Ray Kosby has some good work. He's the guy who created Raise Rise.

Much of Darwin Ortiz's original work is super difficult. Leonard Green has many difficult moves.

Any move by D'Amico is very difficult. You can learn D'Amico's double lift and second deal in Revolutionary Card Technique.

Paul lePaul has great work.

Jack Carpenter has a lot of great moves with a deck of cards.

One of the most difficult collections of card moves I have purchased in recent years was Eric Chien's video on card magic. Also some of Shin lim's collections of card moves are very difficult. He has a DVD called Shinanigans as well as the DVD called 21. Both are full of difficult card moves.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results