What Would A Real Psychic Do

Dec 31, 2019
I've been saying it for years, when we don't understand something we sometimes call it magic(k). When we understand it, we call it science.

I think we're largely thinking along the same lines.

Have you looked into anything by Paul Voodini, Aaron Alexander, or Jerome Finley?

We absolutely are thinking along the same lines!

I have looked into Finley but have only heard of the others! Any suggestions?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Paul Voodini - Midnight Side of the Mind 1 & 2, and Dans Avec La Morts. Affinity: The Third Way has some interesting thoughts in it as well.

Aaron Alexander - his book Pygmalion Effects: Reality as Art has most of the 'good stuff'. The Bridge (Which I think is now called Golden Gate which means it's probably been expanded) is a good way to get to know his work and The Ant Queen used to be free with a sort of suggested donation thing.

Jerome Finley - This is a slightly tricky one. While I have a ton of his eBooks, I haven't read most of them. He has a particular writing style, and I hate eBooks/PDFs. I read Full Contact Mind Reading and that is ... comprehensive to say the least. All of the skill I have in CMR came from that book. He also has work on things like Energetic Touches, readings, hypnosis, etc. He trained as shaman/medicine man in Africa (so they tell me, I can't confirm either way) and performs in a very 'real' way.

Dec 31, 2019
Paul Voodini - Midnight Side of the Mind 1 & 2, and Dans Avec La Morts. Affinity: The Third Way has some interesting thoughts in it as well.

Aaron Alexander - his book Pygmalion Effects: Reality as Art has most of the 'good stuff'. The Bridge (Which I think is now called Golden Gate which means it's probably been expanded) is a good way to get to know his work and The Ant Queen used to be free with a sort of suggested donation thing.

Jerome Finley - This is a slightly tricky one. While I have a ton of his eBooks, I haven't read most of them. He has a particular writing style, and I hate eBooks/PDFs. I read Full Contact Mind Reading and that is ... comprehensive to say the least. All of the skill I have in CMR came from that book. He also has work on things like Energetic Touches, readings, hypnosis, etc. He trained as shaman/medicine man in Africa (so they tell me, I can't confirm either way) and performs in a very 'real' way.

Nice! Thank you I'll definitely check some out! I have read full contact mind reading. I'm absolutely obsessed with perfecting PPT.

My next book I'm picking up is A Piece of My Mind by Michael Murray. I've been really taken with some of his principles and hoping i can get even more from there!

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Part of the reason honestly why I'd rather never engage in being absolutely sceptic completely is because all horror movies show the one's who don't believe dying most gruesomely.

So I don't try to mock other people's beliefs or ideas (unless they think that the Earth is flat).

It's also a question of politeness. Imagine if one was a ghost and people never believed that you existed. Cruel!

#stopbullyingghosts

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Part of the reason honestly why I'd rather never engage in being absolutely sceptic completely

I think everyone should be skeptical about their beliefs. Always question them, always look for more information and better answers. The problem is what a lot of people call skepticism is actually cynicism - in that they already made the decision that they belief X does not exist, and it's unlikely they'll ever change their minds about it.

And you are too right - it's only polite to be kind to ghosts.

Reactions: MohanaMisra
Dec 31, 2019
Part of the reason honestly why I'd rather never engage in being absolutely sceptic completely is because all horror movies show the one's who don't believe dying most gruesomely.

So I don't try to mock other people's beliefs or ideas (unless they think that the Earth is flat).

It's also a question of politeness. Imagine if one was a ghost and people never believed that you existed. Cruel!

#stopbullyingghosts

Of course! I think that one can be skeptical of a belief system without judging or mocking that person for believing it. I believe that everyone has motives and experiences that cause them to believe in certain things and to put their beliefs down is to tell them that their experiences are somehow lesser than yours which in my opinion is unacceptable.

Reactions: MohanaMisra
Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Since the topic did come around to such good ideas, (and forgive me, because I digress), Derren Brown was a staunch believer of Christianity in his childhood and teenage. Now his beliefs are more akin with atheism, but regardless, he says something the world should learn about, and that is:-

If you don't have a concrete proof about something existing, don't force others to believe it.

Of course the word 'concrete' may be relative, but I use it as a good rule of thumb. I do not therefore force somebody to aligh themselves to my belief or religion or philosophy, however when I see things like so called 'Man-God's actually demanding people worship them, all because they do easily replicable tricks and sleight of hand (and/or the helpful powers of chance, stooges), that is when my rage's valve blows off.

So as long as being a Real Psychic according to the broad art of magic ((k) or mentalism, any of it, which is why I said 'broad') does not mean blatant dishonesty, Iam more than okay about it.

But then the psychics here already knew I was going to reply this :D

Dec 31, 2019
Since the topic did come around to such good ideas, (and forgive me, because I digress), Derren Brown was a staunch believer of Christianity in his childhood and teenage. Now his beliefs are more akin with atheism, but regardless, he says something the world should learn about, and that is:-

If you don't have a concrete proof about something existing, don't force others to believe it.

Of course the word 'concrete' may be relative, but I use it as a good rule of thumb. I do not therefore force somebody to aligh themselves to my belief or religion or philosophy, however when I see things like so called 'Man-God's actually demanding people worship them, all because they do easily replicable tricks and sleight of hand (and/or the helpful powers of chance, stooges), that is when my rage's valve blows off.

So as long as being a Real Psychic according to the broad art of magic ((k) or mentalism, any of it, which is why I said 'broad') does not mean blatant dishonesty, Iam more than okay about it.

But then the psychics here already knew I was going to reply this :D

Haha they probably did! I think Derren Brown is very right about that too and I agree with you that it's wrong to try to claim to be something you're not.

I've never thought it took anything away from mentalism for it to be psychological. In Psychological Subtleties, Banachek makes a really good point about this. Which is essentially, if you claim psychological method then you are advertising that you have an incredible skill that you have developed and that it's more impressive that way. I tend to agree

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't think it matters what the claim is, so much as it matters that the claim feels genuine.

Congruence is the key. Derren has basically always done two things - put thoughts into people's heads, and gotten thoughts out of people's heads. He's very consistent with that and even when he goes more 'woo' he frames it in a way that makes it make sense to his claims.

Derren's brilliance, in my opinion, is how well he 'shows the process' to rope people into believing his claims.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results