Mentalism

Dec 22, 2019
I’m not an expert in this kind of things, so I can’t suggest you anything.
I’d recommend you to buy a good book, the number of things contained in one is enormous despite its price:)

Reactions: 777CardTricks

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
A really solid project that I like to point people towards is Marc Spelmann's Read my Mind. Marc's one of the best mentalists out there, and what he teaches is the real deal. Everything on the project is foundational, powerful, and for the most part he uses only props that you can find at home. Nothing's too specialized.

This DVD is accessible to most beginners and it offers 9 powerful effects by one of the most successful mentalists in the business. This guy has appeared on AGT, and BGT several times, he's great.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4168

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Practically nothing, just watching the tutorials on youtube.

Then the first thing I recommend you do is learn how to perform mentalism correctly, which you will not learn on YouTube (No one teaches theory since it doesn't generate views). In fact, probably just go ahead and forget everything you've learned there for now.

Pick up Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals, and Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment 2.0. Start there.

When you learn how to properly perform mentalism (which is a very different approach than performing magic) you will realize that there are really no 'tricks', and that once you've learned a particular skill it will be with you at all times. On top of that, "powerful" comes from the performer not the method. What is powerful in my show would probably flop in someone else's, because it wouldn't fit.

If you're just out to perform tricks, then you're after mental magic, not mentalism.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results