Educating 'Laymen' and Tired of...?

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Imagine you can tell all 'laymen', 100% of non-magicians in this world, a particular thing about magic, anything. Anything which you really wish nobody wrongly thought was true. What would it be?

Would it be that the hands are not quicker than the eye, it's just that the eye doesn't look where the hands are working?

Or would it be that one detected (or suspected) palm or control doesn't mean the entire effect is done that way?

Or would it be something as long as the History of magic?

Or would it be that magic on TV or You Tube is rarely the same as magic in real life?

Or that magic doesn't always mean producing rabbits from a top hat )and that no, you wouldn't produce one for them from their baseball cap, no matter how hard they request)?

Or maybe that it's kind of rude to expect a magician to be performing something for people all the time, even when they're merely jamming with friends?

Or would you just have them all realise that sleight of hand, concealed or visible, are beautiful regardless, and a thing of art?

What is that ONE THING you wish all non-magicians knew, would never forget, and you'd never have to repeat it?

Reply please (^_^)

Secondly, what are you tired of watching or hearing about or listening to in the online world of magic, and what would you like to see different? For example, are you too tired of colour changes? Cards in general? Too dramatic music for nothing? French Kiss variations? Subtitles claiming to snag in girls by pick-a-card-here's-your-card tricks? Too much focus on aesthetics and zero on magic? Too much story or too less of it?

Do tell what you're tired of, and what would you like to see otherwise! :)

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Tired of meaningless performances - would like to see more meaningful performances.
I guess the trick here (pun intended) is to identify what meaningful performances work with today's easiest formats of sharing as well... Maybe that's why there's such a dearth of meaningful performances. Now that you mention it, I can see how over-saturated the market is with similar immediate-visual-but-no-meaning tricks.

That when hiring a performer for an event, the performer needs to get paid a reasonable amount.
It's funny how many people think getting people to entertain their guests with zero payment is okay because it grants them exposure.
Would you do something (say at the initial stage of your career) just for the exposure? And where would you draw a line?

at the begining... I would tell them that Magic is not only for kids...fortunately.. that hasnt happened to me in a long time... my image and the magic I do prevents them to even think on asking me for a kids party...
:D :D :D

I'm now interested in what kind of anti-kid magic you do :cool:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I guess the trick here (pun intended) is to identify what meaningful performances work with today's easiest formats of sharing as well... Maybe that's why there's such a dearth of meaningful performances. Now that you mention it, I can see how over-saturated the market is with similar immediate-visual-but-no-meaning tricks.

There's plenty of things that are meaningful to a contemporary audience. Basically anything that gives the audience a genuine look at the performer's life, passion, interests, etc. will resonate with the right audience. Also, making the presentations about things the performer is genuinely interested in, automatically makes it more interesting to the audience due to the performer's obvious natural interest and excitement.

I think the obsession with "visual" magic does contribute to the lack of meaning, but that's just one factor.

There's also the fact that the vast majority of performers are casual. Honing material takes years, and most magicians don't perform the same trick for that long. They're constantly learning new things because they perform for their friends at the pub. They'll never have their own show and they don't want one. So, basically, there's no motivation to put the work into creating really meaningful performances.

It's funny how many people think getting people to entertain their guests with zero payment is okay because it grants them exposure.
Would you do something (say at the initial stage of your career) just for the exposure? And where would you draw a line?

Woo business advice.

There are times when it's beneficial to work for free, yes. But I never work for nothing.

Couple examples - One of things we've done (my wife and I) for events that can't afford us, is that we'll have them list us as a sponsor. So our name(s)/logo(s) on any printed flyers and social media posts, shout outs during announcements during the event, any photos of us provided with rights to use in the future, cover any hotel rooms if necessary, etc. So we may not be getting money, but we're getting value and we're not losing money.

If you're doing a charity gig, tell them you'll donate the performance if they provide the paperwork that allows you to write it off on taxes. In the States, at least, that can be quite beneficial.

Also, if there's a big stretch of the calendar where a performer is not booked, it can be worthwhile to do a free gig just to have it on your calendar. Again, get pictures, videos, etc. and that gives the social proof that you are working. Performers get hired, because they get hired. At first that can be a catch-22 situation, but after you get into the groove it becomes second nature to use one gig to get more gigs.

I mean, I can't speak for anyone else, but I have found that if you swallow razor blades and jam a needle through your hand, there don't tend to be many kids in the audience.

In seriousness, though - if the material in the show isn't aimed at kids, and the marketing makes that clear, it doesn't take long before you don't have to worry about avoiding kids. They just won't come to the show. Also ticket price can be a huge factor there - If you're charging $10, a parent might just go for that and not mind if they end up having to bounce twenty minutes in. But if you're charging $35 and there's a cocktail hour - they'll think of it as an adult's night and get a baby sitter.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx

:D :D :D

Nothing special... everything in me is designed to look profesional and expensive... from the bussines cards, the venues I perform, the type of event, and even my clothes...

Jul 26, 2016
"What is that ONE THING you wish all non-magicians knew, would never forget, and you'd never have to repeat it?"

My phone number and that they desperately need me at every party or other special event they have for the rest of their lives. (Well, technically, I guess that's TWO)

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Well, technically, I guess that's TWO
You're excused, never worry :D

My phone number and that they desperately need me at every party or other special event they have for the rest of their lives
Would you mind if I steal this line from you and go and tell people that they're in desparate need of my skills to make their parties or events better? XD

Nothing special... everything in me is designed to look profesional and expensive... from the bussines cards, the venues I perform, the type of event, and even my clothes...
Is professionalism sacrificable for today's informal world or would you say there's a line?

(Excuse me, by the way, if any of the words in the above question don't even exist in English Language)

There's plenty of things that are meaningful to a contemporary audience. Basically anything that gives the audience a genuine look at the performer's life, passion, interests, etc. will resonate with the right audience
Hear hear :)

Which makes me curious too...hmn...

Thanks!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Is professionalism sacrificable for today's informal world or would you say there's a line?
!

Of course I only wear fancy clothes on my gigs.. and I rarely do magic outside the events... and my IG and FACEBOOK look profesional as so my webpage... amateur magicians rarely have a webpage... even when I wear everyday clothes, I try to look good, smell nice, etc... informal.. but nice!

Most important is to select the gigs that adds to your image... thats why I never accept kids or family events where there are kids on it...

Reactions: MohanaMisra

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

If one wants a career in performance, professionalism is very important. Word travels fast and once a reputation is established it can be very difficult to alter.

It also depends on the target market. Some markets are more casual than others.

Reactions: MohanaMisra

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The most annoying thing for me right now is actually magicians. I wish that when magicians saw an effect online that didn't fool them They would still understand that they owe it to the creator to purchase the effect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results