Quick Question on Tenkai Pinch

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
The problem is that when I have the coin pinched, and my hands relaxed, the angle between the coin and my fingers looks alright (to me) but when I straighten my fingers, the coin suddenly becomes almost 90° with my fingers. If anybody has time, please go through the following and tell me if they're okay or I have to make any changes? I don't want to relearn this.

https://imgur.com/a/VFuW50i

PS:- The first image is of my normal (relaxed) tenkai, the second one is when I straighten my fingers. The last two are again my 'normal, relaxed' pinches. Am I on the right track?

PPS:- I did want to look for an easy way to upload my pics here but I didn't find any and I don't have an instagram account. :(

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
The position of the coin looks correct, but it's the angle of your hand to the camera that is the issue. Don't point your fingers at your spectators with the hand palm up. If you rotate your wrist inward so that your fingers point to a diagonal left (with your right hand) the second and third fingers cover the coin.

Also, try to remember that in most performing scenarios where you'll be using this technique your audience will also be standing and looking down at your hands. They don't have the benefit of the angle seen in your images.

If you do want a better angle on the coin, drop your fourth finger slightly below the other three extended fingers.

Reactions: RealityOne
Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Imagine a scenario when performing, where you realise in a split second, that because of slight problems while performing the particular effect, you can either:

a) End up flashing the coin and hence everybody'll definitely know that that is where the coin was all this time.

b) push your pinky even more backwards so as to almost perform a vanishing pinky trick, hence nobody'll see the coin BUT they'll know something weird is happening (provided they notice the vanished pinky).

Which option would you say is at least COMPARATIVELY better in emergency situations?

TLDR; If you HAD to compromise either on the invisibility of the coin or the angle of the coin being perfectly 45° or less, which one would you compromise on?

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Imagine a scenario when performing, where you realise in a split second, that because of slight problems while performing the particular effect, you can either:

a) End up flashing the coin and hence everybody'll definitely know that that is where the coin was all this time.

b) push your pinky even more backwards so as to almost perform a vanishing pinky trick, hence nobody'll see the coin BUT they'll know something weird is happening (provided they notice the vanished pinky).

Which option would you say is at least COMPARATIVELY better in emergency situations?

I don't understand the scenario you're proposing. What's the emergency?

Presumably, you'd have thoroughly practiced the sleight and examined it in a mirror or on video to the extent that you are comfortable with the look and feel of it before performing.

The option that I gave in my previous post was to "drop your fourth finger slightly below the other three extended fingers". This was meant to be interpreted as a change of position of a millimetre at most; it doesn't take much distance to adjust the grip and position of the clipped coin. You shouldn't be anywhere close to doing a vanishing pinky illusion.

It's also worth noting, which I didn't allude to in my aforementioned preceding post, that the clipped coin most likely isn't held in position for an incredibly long time for the audience to notice it. It's also probably true that the hands will be in some motion.

If you HAD to compromise either on the invisibility of the coin or the angle of the coin being perfectly 45° or less, which one would you compromise on?

While I don't agree that this is a choice that should need to be made, the purpose of the sleight is to conceal the coin, and that should not be compromised on, especially in performance. Magic is entertainment, but the basis of magic as entertainment is convincing magic.

Mar 17, 2020
This is my tenkai pinch. Every coin or object position is different.
I only use the tenkai pinch for one coin routine that I have been doing since I was in high school. It was taught to me by Dorian Gray...one of the great underground magicians. I may do a video of it if anybody is interested in seeing it...but I cannot teach it.

Attachments

• 8AB44780-648D-42D1-914A-79E786FEC029.jpeg
    8AB44780-648D-42D1-914A-79E786FEC029.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 123
  • E7B666C2-6D87-44E0-9CCA-CDF03AFF37FB.jpeg
    E7B666C2-6D87-44E0-9CCA-CDF03AFF37FB.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 116
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results