Magic Movies

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
So I (like everybody) have a LOT of free time on my hands right now and I have been watching some movies.

In regards to movies where magic forms the main plot or background, I've watched The Prestige (of COURSE), Now You See Me, Now You See Me 2 and The Illusionist, and even Doctor Strange though it isn't really the magic we do but anyways. What are other movies that you'd suggest?

Moreover, what is the BEST magic movie till date in your opinion, and which one is the WORST? What changes would you make to the worst movie to make it better?

In my opinion, The Prestige is by far the best. The absolute best.

The Illusionist paled considerably compared to the other movies I watched. Moreover, unlike the Prestige, a lot of its effects seemed to be pretty...ridiculous and what more (spoilers alert), I disliked how the love story plot became so important that the Crown Prince was killed THOUGH it seems that there might have been truth in what he said, that he might have been the better ruler compared to his father. According to me, the story had more potential, especially with its setting.

A change I'd make is make it's background as magic, stronger and more sensible. I'd also make Eisenheim a stronger character and add more dimensions to the story instead of just making it the age-old cliche lovers-apart-and-reunite story.

Of course I'm being a bit unfair because the movie was released in 2010 and maybe this sort of plot was fabulous then but hey, I won't say that watching The Illusionist was a waste of time. It was an aesthetic movie, at times, to say the least.

But, please answer guys!

:)

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
In my opinion, The Prestige is by far the best. The absolute best.

I totally agree!

I just watched a movie called "Sleight" that was made in 2016. It was an hour and a half of my life that I'll never get back, but if you need another movie to watch, it does focus on a street magician, gang violence, and science(?). 77% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Scott.

Jul 6, 2019
My personal favorite is Ansiktet (also released as the Magician) by Ingmar Bergman. Older and kind of hard to find, but absolutely fantastic.

Second favorite is the Illusionist for the plot and the fact that it uses real period magic (albeit the orange tree is presented in sort of a fantastical way in the movie)

Reactions: MohanaMisra

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I mostly HATE magic movies... they create an urealistic image of magicians... when Now You See Me was released I had people constantly asking me why I didnt do magic like them on my shows... 99% of the magic of those movies are special effects and people doesnt seem to realize the difference...

The only movie I truly enjoyed..is "The Illusionist" that one is my only favorite regarding magic movies...

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I second Shade! It's a little cheesy but its a fun movie. I kept snickering every time they talked about character names since they're all named after OG card mechanics. So every scene is like "Hey Vernon, what are you gonna do about Malini's men?" and I find that funny for whatever reason.

Nov 3, 2018
I haven't watched it myself, so correct me if I'm wrong. When the protagonists are entering the magic castle, don't you see Jason England performing a card trick for some people there? More specifically, the 21 card trick?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I haven't watched it myself, so correct me if I'm wrong. When the protagonists are entering the magic castle, don't you see Jason England performing a card trick for some people there? More specifically, the 21 card trick?
I can't remember. I do know his hands are the ones you see at the beginning

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results