As a beginner, which one should I focus on first? Card magic or cardistry?

Apr 30, 2020
Hello colleagues, the question is in the title.

I'm not looking to amaze anyone (at least not for now :p) or to brag about skills, I'm picking up this hobby of playing cards and I'm motivated to learn both.

I was wondering if you could give me some pointers, do you think it's wise to learn both magic card tricks and card flourishes at the same time? Or which one would be beneficial to focus first and have the basics down before focusing on the other?

Thanks!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Nov 3, 2018
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Your question seems very similar to the question "When I start doing sports, should I learn football or basketball first?"
The two things are completely different; there are magicians who can't do a simple fancy cut, and there are cardists who wouldn't know where to look to find my card. Card magic is ... well, magic, and cardistry is essentially juggling with cards.
If you're motivated to learn both, learn both. You don't need one to do the other.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Honestly whichever you feel like. They are what is called synergistic skills - they compliment each other. Learning to flourish will increase your hand strength and flexibility, as well as being able to use your hands without having to concentrate fully on the movements which will help with sleight of hand.

Sleight of hand will also help with the fine motor control necessary for flourishing, and if you delve deeply enough the performance aspects of magic will help create more interesting movements and such in flourishing.

Reactions: Theorist19
Sep 20, 2009
it depends on what your focus is on, magic? than learn magic first, cardistry? learn cardistry first, mixing both? find ways to combine cardistry into your magic routines

there are a lot of Magicians who won't use cardistry in their card-magic because cardisty is just juggling with cards

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Hello colleagues, the question is in the title.

I'm not looking to amaze anyone (at least not for now :p) or to brag about skills, I'm picking up this hobby of playing cards and I'm motivated to learn both.

I was wondering if you could give me some pointers, do you think it's wise to learn both magic card tricks and card flourishes at the same time? Or which one would be beneficial to focus first and have the basics down before focusing on the other?

Thanks!

Whatever you want.

Reactions: Luis Vega
Apr 1, 2020
Here's my 2 cents.

I find that practicing cardistry helps give my hands and fingers the dexterity and control that really helps when it comes to difficult sleights. So to kinda use that sports analogy above - I view it more as magic is the sport and cardistry is the gym. But, I'm not a cardist. I view myself as more of a card magician. I don't really show off the cardistry all that much.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Here's my 2 cents.

I find that practicing cardistry helps give my hands and fingers the dexterity and control that really helps when it comes to difficult sleights. So to kinda use that sports analogy above - I view it more as magic is the sport and cardistry is the gym. But, I'm not a cardist. I view myself as more of a card magician. I don't really show off the cardistry all that much.
Since you're a card magician, that is purely why you have the above sentiments. In fact, one can also say that the palms, passes, slipshifts and clipshifts are all to build the dexterity required for Sybil.

It goes back to what I said earlier, OP, do whatever you want.

If you want to become a brilliant magician, you'll need more than dexterity and if you want to become a fantastic cardist, you'll still require more than dexterity.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I guess it depends on what your end goal is. If it is to go out and actually perform effects/routines in a show or stroll I would go with the card magic. Companies and clients who believe they are hiring a magician aren't going to pay you to do fancy cuts and moves. Nobody is going to sit and watch you flourish or pay you at a gig to flourish. Anna DeGuzman is outstanding at the card eye candy and is slowly getting into the magic part as well. Just food for thought.

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
My suggestion is: start with the fundamentals of card handling. I think that makes a good foundation for both card magic and card flourishing.

So know how to properly hold a deck, shuffle a deck, cut a deck, deal cards, and more. Work through Roberto Giobbi's 150 page ebook Introduction to Card Magic, is an excellent (and inexpensive) resource that will teach you all the essentials. I've done a detailed review of it here.

From there you will be well positioned to do both card magic and card flourishing. I've done both card magic and cardistry, and in hindsight wish I'd first developed a good foundation with proper card handling and fundamental techniques, but working carefully through something like this. It's amazing how many bad habits and techniques you can pick up otherwise.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results