Question about setting up tricks

May 13, 2020
Hello everyone,

I’m new to magic and I’m looking for some suggestions in regards to performing certain tricks. For context, I’m working my way through the “Royal Road,” also using Paul Wilson’s DVD set as a companion since I learn better visually.

Anyway, I feel fairly comfortable with the Overhand Shuffle and most of the tricks involved with it, and I want to start testing them in front of a small audience (like friends, family, coworkers, etc.). One question I have, though, is what are some good ways to transition into a trick that requires a setup (e.g., the four Aces in Poker Player’s Picnic). Are there any suggestions for transition techniques like that without the audience catching on?

Apr 1, 2020
1. Realize the Jokers are still in the deck. Move the cards around while taking out the jokers. Easy, but sharp people may catch on.

2. Learn to Cull. This is the best way.
I can't remember what method Royal Road teaches. But I'm sure it'll be a good start.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
My default storage for a deck is to have the four aces on top. Do an effect that doesn't disturb that order and you are ready for a four ace trick.

In Royal Road, see page 125 - "The Obliging Aces" and page 224 - "Arrangements."

There is a great John Gustaferro effect called "Either Or" that allows you to set up an effect on the fly.

Learning a multiple shift (I like Bannon's version in Impossibilia) can return cards openly taken out of the deck to the position you want them in.

May 13, 2020
Thank you both for the suggestions. Storing the deck with the Aces on top sounds like a smart way to go for a lot of reasons. Thanks again!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results