Demo Pass vs. Pass in real life

Jul 12, 2020
Hi everyone !

I was watching Aaron fisher "Pathways to Mastery Lesson 7: Classic & Invisible Passes"
Something he says made me think : A lot of (classic) pass tutorial is a "demo" pass, that is to say you try to have the most invisible pass while other (magician) is burning your hand ...

So usually your hand are in position ready for the shift, but in real life you start with the deck in dealers grip position in your left hand, relaxed, then you have to bring your hands together for a brief moment to do the pass and for example rising the packet to the fingertips (Ascanio in-transit action).

So my "question" is : how do you deal with your left hand JUST BEFORE the right hand come to do the pass ? Do you "initiate" the pass by doing "something" to the packet with your left hand ? For example you can already grip the upper packet with your pinky and 3rd finger and adjust your left thumb position on the deck JUST BEFORE the right hand comming over to handle the bottom packet and do the pass ?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
He means there's a difference between how the pass is used for demonstration or "in the real world".

Meaning -
When demonstrating the pass, you'll generally have your hands in the ideal position from the get go, because you're literally demonstrating the the sleight portion of the overall move. Like watching Akira Fuji do his lightning fast pass - the camera will be close-cropped to just his hands and the deck, there's a twitch, and the pass is done.

For "real world" use, though, you generally have the deck in one hand, and as the hands come together the move is executed. This would be the context one would use it at an actual gambling table, for example. Pick up the freshly cut deck, bring the hands together, execute the pass to nullify the cut, proceed with the cheating.

I don't particularly have much in the way of tips for this as I almost never use the two-handed shift. The way I have used it is to have either a step in the deck, or a jogged card to mark the position where the cut is to be made. As the hands come together the left pinky, using the step or jogged card above it, goes into the deck, left 3rd finger goes on top of that package, and the move is executed during an in transit action.

Reactions: DavidL11229

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
He means there's a difference between how the pass is used for demonstration or "in the real world".

Meaning -
When demonstrating the pass, you'll generally have your hands in the ideal position from the get go, because you're literally demonstrating the the sleight portion of the overall move. Like watching Akira Fuji do his lightning fast pass - the camera will be close-cropped to just his hands and the deck, there's a twitch, and the pass is done.

For "real world" use, though, you generally have the deck in one hand, and as the hands come together the move is executed. This would be the context one would use it at an actual gambling table, for example. Pick up the freshly cut deck, bring the hands together, execute the pass to nullify the cut, proceed with the cheating.

I don't particularly have much in the way of tips for this as I almost never use the two-handed shift. The way I have used it is to have either a step in the deck, or a jogged card to mark the position where the cut is to be made. As the hands come together the left pinky, using the step or jogged card above it, goes into the deck, left 3rd finger goes on top of that package, and the move is executed during an in transit action.
Thank you for explaining this!!! I learned the pass out of Tarbell 30 years ago and it is done while bringing the hands together as you describe. I had thought the pass everyone is working on these days (the demo pass) was a different concept and I just knew the Tarbell version. This has bewildered me for years. It all makes far more sense as you describe it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results